Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Meet a client through work who "moved and retired" in Western New York (Buffalo to some) from Carson City, CA. His reasoning was that CA was too expensive to live in for retired folks and that it was fast becoming a young person only state. He sold his quaint 3br 11/2bath cape cod for 800K and moved to one of Buffalo's wealthier sub-burbs and bought what he called a palace for just over 300K.

I realize that the geography of the state is breath taking beautiful. However, IMHO the politics and taxes that exist there would prevent me from ever wanting to move there. Had a job interview one time and I was asked if there is one place I would not accept a transfer to, and of course I answered California.
Ditto
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
So for business owners and retired folks, not that good. I can live with that.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #31

Hey DennisLee, I used to work with Arco and BP in Prudhoe and Union Oil in Kenaii. I just finished an order for BP in Prudhoe. I've visited Ohio many times. Born in Chicago, went to school in Iowa, then grad school at Michigan State. Taught at the college level went to work for Shell in Houston then transferred to Bakersfield. I think it's pretty safe to say that politics and to a certain extent taxes are screwed up in each of these states. Politics are screwed up, and taxes in our country period.

So we all might as well live where we are happy.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
We like visiting San Diego for the great ocean views and the mild weather , we may live there one day when I retire and possible full time .

James,
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #33

Sigh... yes, as we all know that California is the only state where you can be cited for excessive smoke, or has high registration fees, or taxes you don't like, or too many people, or crime, etc., etc.

I've lived in a lot of states (including CA) and all of them have their own bits of silliness, sometimes making California look sane by comparison (check out what you'll pay to register your vehicle next door in good 'ol conservative Arizona.) It gets so I half expect someone to complain about getting a flat tire on I-5 and somewhere later in the thread read 'only in California...'
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Forrest grump, Big Bear Lake sounds real nice.

James,
Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Hey DennisLee, I used to work with Arco and BP in Prudhoe and Union Oil in Kenaii. I just finished an order for BP in Prudhoe. I've visited Ohio many times. Born in Chicago, went to school in Iowa, then grad school at Michigan State. Taught at the college level went to work for Shell in Houston then transferred to Bakersfield. I think it's pretty safe to say that politics and to a certain extent taxes are screwed up in each of these states. Politics are screwed up, and taxes in our country period.

Bakersfield has plenty of cows and bugs, stinks, and gets hot in the summer, therefore, California sucks. Just kidding, but Bakersfield can crank out the 100 plus degree days.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #36

When I think of california , never mind it just can't be printed !
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I have a hard time too, looked outside, sunny again and 77 degrees,[moderator edit].
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Same way I feel about Florida and many other states, once was enough. just sayin.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post

Same way I feel about Florida and many other states, once was enough. just sayin.
Boot camp made me feel that way.....
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Boot camp made me feel that way.....
Yup me too
Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post

You had me right up until the Michigan state part , could have been worse could have been Michigan. I have a friend that is a Michigan State Alumni, I use his football tickets from time to time. One year I went to see the Buckeyes play the Spartans. Was the only guy on that side of the field wearing scarlet and gray.

I have office in Anchorage, Prudhoe Bay and Kenai. Also have office in Chicago, Houston, Torrance. Pretty similar path it looks like. But I'm an Ohio State fan.

Politics are bad everywhere.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Bakersfield has plenty of cows and bugs, stinks, and gets hot in the summer, therefore, California sucks. Just kidding, but Bakersfield can crank out the 100 plus degree days.
Yup that's Bakersfield! We had 60 days in a row over 100. But unlike the rest of the country Bakersfield gained 100,000 people in the last 10 years. Homes are affordable. It is conservative. Schools are good. Lots of jobs, good jobs. Lots of country music. Bad air comes from the Bay Area.

Believe it or not California air quality is improving. LA actually has clear days. San Bernardino has clear days. Rainy days would be nice.

Tags
california