Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fact check - California will be the 10th state plus D.C. to accept drivers license applications from illegal aliens. Experts say these licenses will be a barrier to anmesty.

Fact check - State sales tax will be collected on any new vehicle licensed in California. If it was previously licensed out of state, sales tax will not be collected but annual registration will be included - like many states, it is personal property tax, but just not called that. Vehicles purchased outside California for direct import to CA are not required to pay sales tax at the origin (including Texas). Personal experience on this one.

Fact check- Rural fire protection fees were voter approved in California to cover the extreme costs associated with CalFire's protection outside normal urban/suburban areas. Badly needed with SO many individuals moving into normally wilderness areas.

Like I posted earlier...California is terrible - Everyone should STAY AWAY
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
When I think of california , never mind it just can't be printed !
That's how I feel about SE Florida, having lived there for 20 years it wore out it's welcome. Came out West and won't ever go back.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
It is a really big state

Calif is a really big state. We have every type of climate, and countryside imaginable. I grew up back east....hot humid rainy summers and hella cold winters. Four season is not so great. In Calif we can go swimming in the ocean in December, before breakfast, open our Xmas presents and two hrs later we are skiing in the mountains. Like almost every other state we have our dirty cities and high crime areas. But if you are not addicted to City Life, you can escape to the unpopulated areas with just a short drive. We ride our bikes and motorcycles year round. AND we don't have to keep our motorhomes in heated garages six months out of the year....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #60

I spent a few months in California in 1983 while in the Navy. Did a tech school in Mare Island. Visited San Fran and other towns. Nice place to visit then but already the clouds were gathering. The heavily rabid antigun laws prevent me from ever living there. Half my collection would be 'illegal' there.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
What a terrible thread! No wonder the USA is in such turmoil! We all can't even have a civil conversation and have a common interest??? Rv'ing. Fellows and ladies sadly you need to be civil, grow up and respect one another. Live and let live.
Could not have said it any better. What a bunch of whiners. It's one thing to discuss things you might not like but this has turned into a bunch of grumpy old people trying to justify why where they live is better than where everybody else lives.

Note to moderator: we need an icon that says No Whining.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #62

Of course the fire tax was a popular vote. The population lives in high density flat-lands and the tax burdened sparcely populated mountain people could not find enough residents to vote against it. It is still being challenged in court.
Double taxation on the vehicle, I also experienced that. If you purchased the vehicle within a yearof Iimporting you are subject to the tax.
The only good thing about California is the unannouced arrival of an earthquake. I'd rather experience that than the week long anguish of an inpending huuricane.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #63

Have family and friends in CA. Nothing to compare to the climate and scenery offered. Being from the South I was in awe my first visit. Would I live there? In a minute if I could afford it. To an outsider it's difficult to relocate there due to the cost of living. For those of you there you have adjusted and the cost is what it is and has been over time. Wages are higher because of the cost of living. Housing is higher for the same reason. Leaving the south (lower alabama) or LA is not an option due to the reasons above. If that weren't the case I would be there as quickly as possible. I'm sort of jealous of you guys who have been there and are established. My family and friends are in Irvine, a planned community. And a great plan by the way.
Do I love the south? Absolutely! Great history, food and wonderful beaches. We live our life where we begin it most of the time. Some of us have the opportunity to see great places like CA. I only wish one day I can retire there, the possibilities are remote but it's what I would like. I've been to Big Bear several times, and up and down the coast. California has it's issues, but so do most other states.
So from an old southern boy, you guys in California have the best of the best. I'm sure I'll get some feedback, but it's just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Could not have said it any better. What a bunch of whiners. It's one thing to discuss things you might not like but this has turned into a bunch of grumpy old people trying to justify why where they live is better than where everybody else lives.

Note to moderator: we need an icon that says No Whining.
You two seem to be the only whiners. I find the thread interesting as I grew up in the Portland OR area and have lived in Milwaukee metro since the late 60's. I've working in the south land and own property in north central Idaho. The property taxes in Idaho aren't much cheaper than WI for the record, and the sales tax is higher.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #65
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's knock off the personal comments and attacks.

Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, I started this thread because I thought the video was interesting and would serve as a example to those wanting to drive in the snow and ice with their RV's.

I had no idea it would turn into a bashing thing.

My mistake was naming it "Why I live California"
I should have named it "I don't miss driving in the snow"

I'm curious how many people actually watched the video.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You know, I started this thread because I thought the video was interesting and would serve as a example to those wanting to drive in the snow and ice with their RV's.

I had no idea it would turn into a bashing thing.

My mistake was naming it "Why I live California"
I should have named it "I don't miss driving in the snow"

I'm curious how many people actually watched the video.
I watched the video. Loved the part with bus spinning down the street.

Don't second guess the original title...Thanks for the thread...so many posts made me laugh!

24 years in the military and the child of a career military family..I have lived most everywhere. I retired to SoCal (not L.A.). Does the state have proplems? Sure...as do all places.

I liken anti-California sentiment to the bashing police take. But officers (and most everyone) know it to be an honorable profession...they now say PIG is short for Pride, Integrity, and Guts

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
It's interesting that in all cases the wheels of the sliding vehicles were all locked, meaning the driver was probably holding their foot on the brakes. That won't work very well...
Interesting you mention this fact, I also took note of this fact.
Perhaps the fear kept the wheels askew but if you are on ice take your foot off the gas and steer into the skid... hard to recall in some of those skids I think but I was glad to recall it a few years ago in a blizzard and trying to turn a corner (was going barely 10Kpm) but hit a pstch of ice and landed off the h'way into the wide divide... hit the gas as I landed and came out the other side going the wrong way but safe, the swirling snow was more disturbing than the ice ...

We have these rubber grippers for our boots to help walking on ice if you must, they are great to keep you upright, ice cleats... need some to add to tires in bad weather, slip ons with cleats instead of chains ...

unfortunately nothing works well on glare ice except staying home coarse salt
or moving south
Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
I spent a few months in California in 1983 while in the Navy. Did a tech school in Mare Island. Visited San Fran and other towns. Nice place to visit then but already the clouds were gathering. The heavily rabid antigun laws prevent me from ever living there. Half my collection would be 'illegal' there.
Misconception, the weapons you own legally where you now live are just fine in California. You just can't sell them.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #70

Fact check- Rural fire protection fees were voter approved in California to cover the extreme costs associated with CalFire's protection outside normal urban/suburban areas. Badly needed with SO many individuals moving into normally wilderness areas. Like I posted earlier...California is terrible - Everyone should STAY AWAY[/QUOTE]

FACT CHECK: "The State Responsibility Area (SRA) Fire Prevention Benefit Fee was enacted following the signing of Assembly Bill X1 29 in July 2011. The law approved the new annual Fire Prevention Fee to pay for fire prevention services within the SRA. The fee is applied to all habitable structures within the SRA.

The fee is levied at the rate of $150 per habitable structure, which is defined as a building that can be occupied for residential use. Owners of habitable structures who are also within the boundaries of a local fire protection agency will receive a reduction of $35 per habitable structure."

Sorry this fee was never voter approved.

Tags
california