Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #1

Why is my shore power socket letting water into my trailer?

I have been chasing a water leak for a week, and finally found it today. Water is pouring into my trailer coming in through the Furrion shore power socket, while the power cord is plugged in.

I mean POURING! I had water from under my bathroom sink where the power comes in, flowing across the floor into the living area, and pooling under my fusebox!

So I pulled the plug off the outside of the trailer, and noticed that the plastic housing has a square cutout in the bottom, on the part that would be inside the wall insulation while it is installed. I put silicone sealant on both sides of the rubber gasket that goes between the wall and the socket, and siliconed the screws, but I still think the water is getting in by going around my shore power plug and coming out that cutout hole, then pouring into the trailer.

The shore power plug (part that goes into the socket at the outside wall) is a hard rubber or plastic material, which seems like it should act as a pretty water tight seal, but I was wondering 1) has anyone else had this leak and 2) do they make a rubber gasket that I can install between the socket and the plug to keep water out?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might just purchase a new outlet and replace the leaking one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #3

Water entry is hard to follow. Could it possibly be coming in the roof and traveling down the wall where the plug is located?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Water entry is hard to follow. Could it possibly be coming in the roof and traveling down the wall where the plug is located?
kinda what I'm wondering......it sounds like he has a large amount of water coming in. I just don't see that much coming in just from the socket on the side of the rv....almost has to be coming off the roof somehow.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

I thought it was coming from the roof, but I pulled out all the panels in that area, and watched it for a couple days, and all of a sudden, under a hard rain, I could see it coming in at that socket. A solid stream of water coming in and dripping down to the floor, then flooding the floor for about 4 feet out into the living area.

Then when I pulled the socket out of the wall, the screws are all rusty (I bought this trailer new in May 2015) and there is rusty, wet wood right there where the socket is screwed into the wall.

Keep in mind...we are just outside of Houston, and I am sure you have been hearing about the TORRENTIAL rains and flooding we have had here the past two weeks or so. WAY more than you would encounter anywhere else.

Also, when I pulled the plug out of the wall, I could shake it and quite a bit of water was coming out of the plug. I never got it all to come out before I siliconed it all up and put it all back together.

So, in my opinion and from my observation, it appears that it is coming in at the plug receptacle.

I did an ebay and amazon search for these receptacles, and many of them have a cone or long tube about 3" long before the wire comes out, which would prevent this from coming into the trailer. Might have to buy a new one to replace the one I have in there.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Is your dealer nearby or has your warranty run out?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Is your dealer nearby or has your warranty run out?
That is the main problem...we hit the road full time on Wednesday. We cannot lose the trailer for even a day. I have to fix it myself.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
That is the main problem...we hit the road full time on Wednesday. We cannot lose the trailer for even a day. I have to fix it myself.
Some dealers handle full timers by making a specific day "wait for it" appointment.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Contact the manufacturer directly and have in hand photos that you can send them and post here as well.

Me guesses that something is missing or assembled wrong and they can send you parts and instructions to fix it.

Short term is get some duck tape and first tape flat to the wall around where the cord plugs in as if you ate painting.

Burnish it well so it sticks well.

Painters tape is gentle so maybe that.

Next wrap the plug and tape to the first stuff.

That is temporary for now fix.

Also consider a marinco connection as they offer marine rated units that are water resistant for boat use...not cheap but...
Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Yeah, I saw a nice stainless marinco model, that looks like it will be the replacement. I may hit a West Marine next time I drive by one and grab one, and swap it out at the next stop.

We had a So Long and Goodbye "party" last night, and the DW is still in bed, almost noon...if she ever gets up, I will go inside the trailer, and have her hose the outside and make sure it isn't still leaking.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #11

It passed the water hose test!!!

Tags
power, shore power, water