Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
Quality is directly linked to the workers PRIDE in what they do. Oh wait PRIDE is not a politically correct word anymore! Sorry I forgot I flashed back to the 60's
Worker pride is important but management sets the policy and the pace; you can only work as carefully as management allows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
So you are pro pollution and anti green. The car and motorhome I drive today is far superior to what I drove 20 to 40 years ago and the air is a lot cleaner.
I think he was saying just the opposite.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #115

Quote:
Quality is directly linked to the workers PRIDE in what they do. Oh wait PRIDE is not a politically correct word anymore! Sorry I forgot I flashed back to the 60's
NONSENSE!
All the pride in the world won't do a bit of good when he hasn't been trained, and doesn't have drawings or specifications that tell him that this piece of wire should be red, 37-1/4" long, and #12 AWG. A drawing that shows how it is to be routed, would also be useful.

Having spent many years as a Director of Quality Assurance in the medical device industry, I can tell you that that when workers are provided with suitable documentation, the result is good (conforming) product. When the manufacturer doesn't bother producing documentation, the worker produces junk.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #116

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
NONSENSE!
All the pride in the world won't do a bit of good when he hasn't been trained, and doesn't have drawings or specifications that tell him that this piece of wire should be red, 37-1/4" long, and #12 AWG. A drawing that shows how it is to be routed, would also be useful.

Having spent many years as a Director of Quality Assurance in the medical device industry, I can tell you that that when workers are provided with suitable documentation, the result is good (conforming) product. When the manufacturer doesn't bother producing documentation, the worker produces junk.

Joel
I can only agree on the "Trained" aspect. Another word for this is "Qualified". This thread started because of what I found when replacing the heated mirror switch. I could not believe it.

Some people confuse Construction quality with Material quality.
I expect lower material quality with lower priced coaches.
But I think a cheap switch or an expensive diamond studded switch should still be install properly.

I have been in a auto shop where a tech could remove a access panel by taking out 8 screws. But instead he removed 4 screws and bent the panel out of the way. There is never a reason not to do something correctly.

This is the very reason that I do all of my own repairs (Home & Auto).

Regards,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror_switch.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	93154  
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #117

The rv techs must chuckle when they see the expert wannabes who think they can invent the wheel again.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #118

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
The rv techs must chuckle when they see the expert wannabes who think they can invent the wheel again.
Sorry, missing the point on this post.....

Dan
Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Me too Dan, they can chuckle all they want. Chuckling won't pay their bills and it will eventually catch up to them in lack of business. I feel that most work that needs to be done on my MH, I can and will do better myself than your "RV Tech that Chuckles". I do any work on my MH that I have the proper tools to do, for all other repairs I use the Newmar recommended mechanic who has worked on ours from the start, including the PDI.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #120

Talking

Quote:
NONSENSE!

Joel
Just read his signature! Now I see the problem Birder is an ENGINEER!
Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #121

Quote:
Just read his signature! Now I see the problem Birder is an ENGINEER!
Yes. I am, and is't a solution, not a problem.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #122

Quote:
Yes. I am, and is't a solution, not a problem.

Joel
Naaaa just an idea.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #123

Quote:
NONSENSE!

Joel
I agree; and that gave birth to the ISO standards virtually every company uses today. It still requires diligent management to make it work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
So you are pro pollution and anti green. The car and motorhome I drive today is far superior to what I drove 20 to 40 years ago and the air is a lot cleaner.
Sorry Mr Grump you took it that way. You drive a car that is much better in spite of government not because of it. You are probably not old enough to remember a fellow named Ralph Nader. If not for people like him the car industry would likely still be making marginal cars.

Not to long ago GM was knowingly producing cars with faulty ignition switches. Here is an article that may be of interest. GM Recall, faulty Ignition Switch - Consumer Reports
Old 05-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #125

As the fellow who could have built J Birder's prototypes, supplied the data and half written the paperwork he authored or been one of the folks using it depending on what job hat I was wearing at the time, he has a point.

The only quibble I have with him is that today's worker often has never been taught to use tools. The worst group of tool users I ever encountered was a group of University Professors I worked for for a couple of years. By then the public schools had stopped teaching shop and the Universities sold their students junk while never talking about the tools they required. Everyone assumed they knew what they were doing. More broken stuff than I care to think about. They were producing the folks who one would assume would be hiring and training the folks actually doing the production.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry Mr Grump you took it that way. You drive a car that is much better in spite of government not because of it. You are probably not old enough to remember a fellow named Ralph Nader. If not for people like him the car industry would likely still be making marginal cars.

Not to long ago GM was knowingly producing cars with faulty ignition switches. Here is an article that may be of interest. GM Recall, faulty Ignition Switch - Consumer Reports

I do remember Ralph Nader. Tell me one thing he did that made cars better. He set the U.S. Auto Industries attempt to build small fuel efficient cars back three decades and gave the Japanese time to take the lead costing hundreds of thousands of American jobs. The early Corvair had a design problem and even though the design had already been changed he jumped on in order to make himself a name.
Some gov't regulations on cars were and are stupid and ill conceived while others have helped quality,mileage and emissions.

Tags
quality