Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Just consider, if a post was started "Red or Green Class A's: Which is best?". Does the answer "I like Blue" contribute?. Or the answer "Who cares what color a motor home is, mine is so dirty I can't even tell". I suppose both of those answers contribute in some way to "a" discussion, but not the one the OP was looking for info on. An alternative to posting a "non answer" could be to start your own thread "Who cares what color MHs are?"

In your example..... The "I like Blue" IS very relevant..... Think about it......the OP may not have even known that Blue was an option !

The point is people don't know if they don't know something. I for one like to hear all opinions as long as they are not attacks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of these threads are open invitations to "brain storm". Some of the best solutions to problems at work were discovered by brain storming. A lot of them were outside of the box and would not have been considered if we had just done a poll of pick solution A, B or ?. . . .

When a person asks what seems to be a simple question it can open up many alternative scenarios in the minds of the readers. If you ask what is the color I should buy as I only have two choices it is pretty simple.

But when the color choice also has a price differential, gas vs diesel, older vs new, slide vs none there are myriad solutions. Once a question becomes open it should be discussed including some side runs as there may be another solution that the OP has not considered (or maybe they have but we do not know that).

Off topic is tough for the moderators to monitor. I am sure they want to have discussions that are open and ranging and provide good answers to the OP.

For example a gas vs diesel question may easily move to tires as that is one of the differences between the two and could become a determining factor in the final purchase.

Just saying . . . . .

Old 04-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #45

Quote:
First of all, I'm guilty of this myself. So I am not throwing stones

There is a thread out there currently asking what king of gas mileage people with F 53 gases class As are getting. Of a dozen or so responses, very few answers the question. Most were "who cares?" (Obviously the OP did which is why the question was asked), or "if you are worried about gas mileage you shouldn't own a motorhome" and similar responses.

I recently posted a thread about trying to compare the noise level in DPs to Gas Class As by the use of phone based sound level meter apps. With all the talk about gas vs diesel, I thought we had a bunch of actual measurements there would at least be some numbers to chew on. While I did get a couple of responses (thanks to those who played), mostly I got "this is a waste of time", "those measurements are meaningless", "I don't need some phone to tell me what RV to buy, and of course my favorite was a fellow who told me how many MPG he got on the road.

I guess my question is if you really think a post is stupid or a waste of your time to read, why read it? And if it's a waste of time to read, why take the time to respond?
First of all contrary to some posts in this thread there are many of us that would not put anything in the form of a post that we wouldn't say in person. Having said that I am one of those who responded to your thread about comparing noise levels without providing any data. I see many others have also responded expressing their opinions on the subject as well.

I have to say that at the very best, information provided under dissimilar conditions would be subjective. In order to gather meaningful information a study has to have controls. Things like using the same measuring device, driving over the same course under the same weather and road conditions, driving at the same speeds would add credence, as well as controlling the acceleration and deceleration rates. Without these and many other controls you can't gather and/or analyze the data accurately.

Beyond that there's the human factor. In order to get participation people would like to know why they should spend time and effort to gather data. Most studies are conducted to either prove or disprove a theory. Since no theory was forwarded on this particular subject the potential participants are left to their own imagination as to what it's purpose is.

The most logical conclusion as to purpose would be that one of the types of vehicles is preferable over the other. Members of this community have purchased a particular brand and model motorhome because it best fit their budget and lifestyle. They don't see any need to either reinforce or challenge their decision.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #46

Well...
If we go back to my original post on sound measurements

Diesel vs Gas - lets get some data

I think I was pretty clear that

1) "We should agree on common measurement methodology"
2) "This might not be a really scientific study"
3) "This should be fun"

I thought taking advantage of the fact many people now have a way to make some sort of sound level measurement might make it possible to leverage information currently not available. I don't think I ever expected anyone to use any data or conclusions to decide anything, least of all if they should dump their current MH for a different type.

Only a few folks responded with numbers (which is ok), and the thread died a natural death. The fact that so many people responded back that somehow it was a dumb idea to even ask the question got me to thinking about what motivates people to make such claims. Which is why I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
First of all contrary to some posts in this thread there are many of us that would not put anything in the form of a post that we wouldn't say in person. Having said that I am one of those who responded to your thread about comparing noise levels without providing any data. I see many others have also responded expressing their opinions on the subject as well.

I have to say that at the very best, information provided under dissimilar conditions would be subjective. In order to gather meaningful information a study has to have controls. Things like using the same measuring device, driving over the same course under the same weather and road conditions, driving at the same speeds would add credence, as well as controlling the acceleration and deceleration rates. Without these and many other controls you can't gather and/or analyze the data accurately.

Beyond that there's the human factor. In order to get participation people would like to know why they should spend time and effort to gather data. Most studies are conducted to either prove or disprove a theory. Since no theory was forwarded on this particular subject the potential participants are left to their own imagination as to what it's purpose is.

The most logical conclusion as to purpose would be that one of the types of vehicles is preferable over the other. Members of this community have purchased a particular brand and model motorhome because it best fit their budget and lifestyle. They don't see any need to either reinforce or challenge their decision.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why respond to threads you are not interested in?

Not trying to be a jerk, but we all do it at times. People like to put their opinions in, try to be funny about something, etc. One of my favorites is when someone asks a question about a new coach they are wanting to buy. It never fails, within a few replies will be the ol buy a used and save yourself the money, blah blah blah.

Heck, some of the threads get so distorted by thread drift that I have to go back to see what the topic was to begin with. Some of those drifts reveal valuable information, some distract. It's probably been that way since the first forum went live on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #48

Quote:
I guess since I wasted my time reading this I am forced to reply.

Now you understand the more useless replays you make the more campfires you acquire.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #49

FWIW It also seems that some people confuse being interested in a topic with agreeing with it. I find a lot of interesting things in the world that I do not agree with. ;-)
Old 05-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #50

Call me dense. No idea what you're saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Now you understand the more useless replays you make the more campfires you acquire.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #51
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post

Heck, some of the threads get so distorted by thread drift that I have to go back to see what the topic was to begin with. Some of those drifts reveal valuable information, some distract. It's probably been that way since the first forum went live on the internet.
You mean like this one has????
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #52

I've learned a ton of stuff here. Some things I could have learned just by reading the manuals, some were completely counter intuitive. And yes, some of those valuable tidbits of info came from people posting off topic from the OP's original question. A good example was someone asking about the transmission on a CRV and could it be flat towed. It ended up morphing into the CRV's toy battery and how easy it was to put the battery case and larger battery from an Odyssey in the CRV.

What is less useful (in my opinion) are responses that essentially attack the OP's integrity and the value of the question. Most of us like to say "there are no dumb questions". Clearly not all of us feel that way. Some folks, not many, have been turned off to the forum because of what appeared to be snarky responses to their questions. Obviously people need a bit thicker skin, especially when folks pride themselves on "no filter" responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but we all do it at times. People like to put their opinions in, try to be funny about something, etc. One of my favorites is when someone asks a question about a new coach they are wanting to buy. It never fails, within a few replies will be the ol buy a used and save yourself the money, blah blah blah.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Probable reference to the number of camp fires next to your user name which indicated how often you post. I.E yours is at 1410.

reading and enjoying the thread.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #54

Shhhh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Probable reference to the number of camp fires next to your user name which indicated how often you post. I.E yours is at 1410.

reading and enjoying the thread.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Shhhh...

See post #18 here:
Forums 101 - posting, photos, accounts, basics

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #56

Quote:
The original premise was that some of us respond to posts we are not interested in. I pointed out that we were interested in the posts we respond to even though we disagree or think they are foolish.