Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #29

Apology accepted.
RichH

aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #30

I for one am offering my sincere "thanks" to Tireman for participating in these forums. I learned a great deal reading his posts. His expertise is appreciated, and we are fortunate that he takes the time to share it with us.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have monitored tire temperature from hot to cool due to rain. Rubber is very good insulator so temperature drop takes minuted. Pressure only changes 2% for 10F change.
In 40 years do not recall ever seeing a tire fail from contraction.

Tires are designed to handle normal road temperatures (100 - 140 road surface)
I have to defer to your expertise but .
Lets say the tires that blow under the conditions I mentioned are not new. Perhaps on the verge of dry rotting or compromised and the tire temp is 180 or more . I bet there is a greater failure rate. This observation is based on over 800 K motorcycle miles touring the US.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #32

Tireman?...What about the incorrect adjustment of the wheel bearings causing additional "heat" to the drum/disc then the wheel/tire, "extra" heat not welcome to the tire, I have seen this and not just in the trucking part of my experience, also the type of oil used in the hubs (synthetic) I switched to Pro Torque axle nuts (Stemco) a few years back along with the 70W140 synthetic on all the Trailer & Truck axles and cut the hub heat (trailer) from 203 to 168 with an OAT of 109 and 59,540 lbs on the Tri Axles, Big difference!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's OK to have a pet hypothesis.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Tireman, do you recommend a particular brand and series tire that you have found to have consistently higher quality and reliability?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #35
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Tireman, do you recommend a particular brand and series tire that you have found to have consistently higher quality and reliability?

This is from Roger's blog.
http://www.rvtiresafety.com/2016/05/...setup.html?m=1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I have to defer to your expertise but .
Lets say the tires that blow under the conditions I mentioned are not new. Perhaps on the verge of dry rotting or compromised and the tire temp is 180 or more . I bet there is a greater failure rate. This observation is based on over 800 K motorcycle miles touring the US.
Yes, in general hot tires fail more often than cool tires and old tires are more prone to failure than new tires. BUT you example suggested a hot tire if it suddenly ran into rain would somehow fail due to a drop in temperature from hot to cool doesn't have a basis in physics or rubber chemistry I know of. You need to present some test data or numbers. What physical property will result in failure of Polyester body cord in a nice 360 band around one or both sidewalls when a hot tire is hit with water?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #37

There has been a lot of good information in this post and in others in this forum about maintaining proper tire inflation, staying within the speed limits of the tire and the use of a TPMS as an early warning system of potential tire failure.
My question has to do with the temperatures displayed on the TPMS.
My laymans view (right or wrong) is the temperatures displayed are only an indication of the temperature of the air in the valve stem and not necessarily the temp within the tire itself. The TPMS sensor also must be affected by its movement through the air as the tire rotates. Therefore, what can the displayed temps be used for and how "accurate" are these readings?
The only thing I can think of is a gradual change in tire pressure (deflation?) while driving would also be reflected by increasing temp in that same tire.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #38

Jayco Owners Club
Very much a newbe question. My tire pressure is supposed to be 50.psi. I have one tire at 47.5, and my tire gauge allegedly is +/- 1 pound. Tires filled with
nitrogen. Is a 2.5 psi difference significant?
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the tires are 50 cold, that is before they have been driven, then they are almost always good for the rest of the day as long as there are no leaks. If they are 50 when you start, and the next morning they are 47.5, and you don't know how much weight they are actually being forced to carry, do you think they it would do more to prevent a failure if you add the 2.5 or 3 pounds, out leave them at 47.5?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
My question has to do with the temperatures displayed on the TPMS.
My laymans view (right or wrong) is the temperatures displayed are only an indication of the temperature of the air in the valve stem and not necessarily the temp within the tire itself. The TPMS sensor also must be affected by its movement through the air as the tire rotates. Therefore, what can the displayed temps be used for and how "accurate" are these readings?
I have checked mine with a temperature gun and you are correct, there is a considerable difference between the TPMS and the actual tire temperature. I found that 10 to 20 degrees to be common. Knowing that, just add 20 degrees to the reading for an approximate figure. Seeing a major difference between tires is an indicator of trouble.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #41

AMERICUS Commercial l/t Tread separation 4000 miles

So , I have a question .
2000 minnie winnie 22 foot motor home , with 4 Americus Commercial Chinese
Tires mounted and balanced 36 montha ago , with 4000 miles on them .
8500 lb motor home with Dans 70 rear end .

Running 65 pounds of air pressure since installed and two of the tires today are running out of round big time . Rattled my teeth all the way home >

Just started this am on trip back to Tampa .

Looks like junk tires to me . What causes this problem to appear >??

Anyone got their two cents ????????I am going to New Mexico soon .

Joe in Tampa
Old 09-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #42
RVM1

A financial perspective:

If your tires cost $3000, replacing them at 7 years means the amortized cost was $36/month.
At 10 years it is $25/month.
Who will take extra risk for such chump change?
My Michelins would be double that. And I'm good with that!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires