Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Why two tanks?

Maybe it has to do with weight distribution but I am wondering why there are separate grey and black water tanks, when they are both emptied into the same sewer dump.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Sanitary reasons. You don't want black water on the same line as your kitchen sink for example. I know, your S&B home has one outlet line, but it isn't a closed system.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Not all RVs have two. The big Prevost conversions only have one, with a gray-water bypass system for when you're connected to a sewer.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
It is handy to flush the drain hose with gray water after emptying the black tank..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also, your grey water valve can be left open when hooked up to the sewer and city water, so hot showers can be lengthy.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

I think there was a thread on this asked on this site just not to long ago.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Also, your grey water valve can be left open when hooked up to the sewer and city water, so hot showers can be lengthy.
That's a "biggie" for us! We never use the CG bath facilities so the gray tank fills up real fast! Also, having a combined tank would take a lot of chemical (if you use them).
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect the main reason is so that if you are not hooked up to sewer and fill the tank up while taking a shower you won't be standing ankle deep in water containing fecal material.
Gray water coming up in the shower smells bad but is better than a black/gray mix.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Actually I think it is mainly the space available to put the tanks. Remember you have a frame under there that you have to work around. Two thirty gallon tanks are alot easier to place amoungst the structure than one sixty gallon tank. You also can opt to have odd sizes - say a 30 gallon black, but a 40 gallon grey.

Also, they like to place a mechanical toilet directly above the black tank. That way it just drops right in. So that gives you more flexibility on where you can place sinks, not having to have a clear route to the black tank for the drain.

Personnally, I'd never buy an RV with a combined black/grey tank. I've filled my grey tank on occassion and only discovered it when I was standing in the shower wondering why it wasn't draining. I am not taking the risk of standing in my own poo!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

I remember some years back a friend's motorhome allowed him to co-mingle the contents of the two tanks. He had quite a shock when **** came up the shower drain.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's a "biggie" for us! We never use the CG bath facilities so the gray tank fills up real fast! Also, having a combined tank would take a lot of chemical (if you use them).
Agreed - if we all take a shower (5 or 6 of us), grey tank is full.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
No too many years ago you could dump grey on the ground in some places.

There are still places that allow it today but they are shrinking fast. Never black.

Some parks even had grey water dumps located throughout the park on the side of the park roads but only one dump station for black.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
No too many years ago you could dump grey on the ground in some places.

There are still places that allow it today but they are shrinking fast. Never black.

Some parks even had grey water dumps located throughout the park on the side of the park roads but only one dump station for black.
Park we camped at this past weekend had a grey water dump in the middle of a crowded area. I would not want one of the sites next to it. That was the first grey dump I had seen in a while. It's always funny when I take an early morning walk and see a huge wet area next to a rig, lot of folks dump grey water illegally or not.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #14

Lots of times I get back from a hike of bicycle ride sweaty so I will rinse off and wash my hair with the outside shower. I guess that water would be considered lite gray.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote