Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Why would this not work?

I have been thinking what a nuisance it is to deal with the black tank when camping. Would it be possible to have some type of Y valve in the black tank system. When you are camping with full hookups you could turn the valve to go directly to the sewer dump and when dry camping you could turn to Y valve so the stuff would go to the black tank. There must be some reason since I have never heard of this being done. What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you leave the black tank valve open all the liquids run out but the solids build up in the tank. Eventually the drain will clog completely and cleaning it out is not pretty. I have heard horror stories.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

My thought was with a Y valve the valve could be set so the waste would go directly to the sewer dump when full hookups were available. Right after I posted this I got to thinking that rv toilets do not have a trap. Maybe this plan would work if you installed a home toilet in your rv. Seems to me there should be a better way. Still trying to figure all of this out.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

If you set up plumbing to go down hill very steeply the whole way and never enter a tank, then maybe.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you figure it out, patent it!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
If you leave the black tank valve open all the liquids run out but the solids build up in the tank. Eventually the drain will clog completely and cleaning it out is not pretty. I have heard horror stories.
TAZ is right on; you have to have lots of water in the tank along with the solids. You shouldn't leave the black tank valve open because solids will then fail to flow out of the tank and will build up inside the tank. The tank's slope from the toilet toward the drain valve is minimal.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If you are on full hook up, just wait until the tank is 1/2 or more full then pull the lever and empty. You do not want the tank to be open, as said by TAZ, the liquids would drain and leave behind the 'pyramid of pooh' that is very difficult to remove. Remember, RV toilets work will a minimum of water, that's why there's no trap.

Also, an open line between sewer and black tank allows sewer flies to enter tank (and RV) -- not a nice thing. Years ago GMC RVs and other brands had a macerator that would pump waste into the exhaust and burn it as you went down the road.

Many strategies have been tried to eliminate waste, no matter what is tried, it's a pain in the a$$.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Yes I understand the part about keeping water in the black tank before dumping. I was trying to figure out a different way. To do what I was thinking about it would take some major plumbing changes. Maybe I am just getting lazy in my later years.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
just getting lazy
Yep ...it truly is not a big deal to dump the black tank once a week or so ...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
CD

You would have to move the black tank as the toilet is mounted on top of the black tank. I doubt there is room to move the tank that far.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #11

Hello here is a thought when hooked up to sewer at a camp ground you should have your tank valve closed and only open when tank is near full if you don;t then you will be setting yourself up for a upside ice cream cone affect Black tanks should always start off with water in them as to allow the solids to float away so you don;t need anything else other then what you have.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

What if there was a Y valve that would send the waste directly to the sewer dump, elimanting the black tank compleatly? The Y valve could be turned either way. One way to the black tank...the other way to the sewer dump. I wonder in this setup would a trap be necessary since the toilet is closed off anyway?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I can understand what you are thinking about. You would need to attach the "Y" pipe to the toilet with the "Y" pointed down. You would need two shut off sliders, one for each of the "Y" points. The direct to the sewer connect that would be open while parked would have to go through the bottom of the black tank and a hose or pipe fastened to it at an angle directed to the sewer under your rv.

Might just work, go for it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Think of this:
No black tank at all--Sewage would drop directly into a small trap that would trigger a macerator and away goes trouble down the drain.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote