Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
...and my neighbor. Napster's going to mad at him one day.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #16
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I was visiting my brother in Baltimore one weekend. He lives in a townhome community. I pulled out the laptop, and it picked up about 15 wireless connections, half of which were unsecured. I use 124 bit encryption on my network at home along with a firewall. If you have a wireless network, secure it.

2005 F-250 XLT 4X4 V-10
2006 Wildcat 31QBH
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:17 AM   #17
How do you secure it?

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mamaloya:
How do you secure it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contact your manufacture.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mamaloya:
How do you secure it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this site..

98 Pace Arrow Vision, 36.6'

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #20
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with a couple of the others - I don't see the value in finding hot spots that the laptop cannot see. I agree that, if you knew they were there and what direction the signal was coming from you might be able to move closer. It just seems questionable.

Sandra, to take a high level approach to your question about "how do I secure it?" Here are some ideas.

If you own the hotspot (have a wireless router hooked to an internet connection):
1. Turn off polling
2. Turn on WEP - this means the every computer trying to access your router has to have a key. A 128bit key is better, a 64bit key is better than nothing. This encrypts the signals between the laptops and the router.
3. Turn on MAC address filtering - every network card has "serial number". Some routers let you only allow the serial numbers/MAC addresses in a list to use your connection. This keeps others from using your connection to do bad things.

For the laptop security:
1. Don't EVER connect to wireless networks where you don't know the source. There are too many traps out there. It might appear safe but....
2. Install a personal firewall. I personally like Zone Alarm and they have a free version (www.zonelabs.com)
3. Install antivirus protection. I personally like AVG and they a free version.
4. Install spyware protection. I personally like Spybot Search and Destroy and their software is free but do make a donation as they request.

I view wireless security in the same vain as the two bear hunters. One hunter shoots the bear and it doesn't die but starts chasing them. As they run away, one asks the other, "how are we going to outrun this bear?" The other replies "I just have to outrun you." Security can be broken by professionals with the right knowledge and equipment. I just want to keep out the amateur hackers and make my situation more difficult to deal with than my neighbor's. Most often, those with bad intentions will select the easiest targets.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
I just used an unsecured wi-fi at Mt Rushmore KOA, they broadcasst it to the whole campground, for your use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by abarkl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
Are those unsecured hot spots? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of them are detecting only unsecured access points but they also pickup microwave ovens and cordless phones.
The only true test is to use your PC's wireless card software to find them and connect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

coachman99 is offline   Reply With Quote