Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
(BTW, I don't think I can train her - she tends to assume I'm criticizing. This does NOT go well!!)
Roger
The sailing school (see my post #6) had a policy of splitting up family members to different boats. They were wise. People "close" to you listen for emotion first, content second. Plus, no having to deal with the power hierarchy in families.

You'd be amazed at how well people can learn when distanced from their "attachments."

As to hearing the same instruction and pointers, well-trained instructors deliver the same content to all students, regardless of current skill level, while keeping an eye out to correcting the "advanced" student of detrimental habits. Many men (myself included) have thin skins when it comes to taking criticism, and a great instructor knows how to deliver criticism despite that. If you're ready for that, ride together. Otherwise, I would choose to learn in a "different boat."
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good points here. My wife is a self admitted poor driver. Corner cutting, brake stomping, wheel jerking.....you name it. Given this, my range is about 400-450 miles per day. I've decided that if she learns to drive it would be best for me not to teach her. I'll have someone else do it.....or keep the attorney retainer paid up. Either way, it is good that the ladies know the basics so that the coach can be moved in an emergency. I recently signed up on FMCA as a pinch hit driver. Figured I could possibly help someone out when they are up against it. Happy Trails!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
People "close" to you listen for emotion first, content second.
That's the smartest thing I've heard in awhile.

When the question of DW driving comes up, I'm always reminded of my late friend Harry, who ran five companies in retirement. He was married to Pete, a woman fifteen years younger, who kept fit through weightlifting. They'd driven their pristine Class A to Pike's Peak, and Harry -- I think he was 75 at the time -- got the wild idea that the two should join the mile high club that perfect Colorado afternoon. Well, long story short, Pete had to leap into the driver's seat and rush down the mountain while Harry writhed with severe chest pain, his high-altitude exertion having triggered a mild coronary...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

If she can't drive it, she certainly shouldn't second guess you. To remedy that situation, start by buying some traffic cones, finding a vacant parking lot, and let her find the corners for herself. Once she is comfy in close quarters, put her on some secondary roads at very low traffic hours, and work up from there.

My wife learned to tow and maneuver our 31' travel trailer in the YMCA parking lot on Sunday mornings. Now she drives our motorhome without issue. She has horrible "daily" driving habits, but before trying to drive any trailers or the MH she learned to changer her ways... at least while operating an RV.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #19

I'm the DW and absolutely am not interested in driving, nor will I. I understand the wisdom in knowing how to drive it, but if it's required of me to learn, I'll quit RVing. I do not want to drive it. I'm intimidated beyond belief.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am a DW and I drive. I also took a wonderful driving course last October. I improved my skills and watched other DW'S either gain skills they never had or improve like I did. It was in powering for all of us. When you thread a 45 ft coach through a slalom course and not wrap a cone around the dually, that is an adrenaline rush. Something that I did learn was that most women are better backers than their husbands. I have seen that displayed in campgrounds quite often. It is just a matter of getting used to your coach, learning your pivot points and gaining confidence in pulling into narrow areas i.e. pumps. Taking your time to make your turns and always being aware of your surroundings. Ladies, you can do it. A close friend did it the hard way, DH became sick and she had to take over and drive through Ft worth traffic. She said that before starting she said a prayer and then put it in gear. She now says she will drive again.
So take a deep breath and give it a try. Straight line down the freeway between rest stops. Keep your eyes down the road, not in front of the coach. If you drive a car, you can drive an rv. Ask the single ladies out there doing it by themselves with only a pet as a navigator. I figure that I will be doing more driving as we age due to difference in our ages. Why not, there is a lot of beautiful country out there.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #21

I have been going through this for years. My wife insists on telling me how to drive, and it never lets up. No RV driver's training is ever going to change that. If I miss something laying in the road, I didn't miss it. I just almost hit it. She can't differentiate. I can't take much more.

P.S. My wife is a horrible driver to boot.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am the wife and its basically MY motorhome, I drive wherever I want, just finished a 3400 mile trip by myself, well with DD. I'm not sure I can ride
with hubby or he with me to far. He wants to drive at night, why?? You miss all the scenery, he just wants to get there, for me its the joy of going and coming and seeing everything from those big old windows.

I have about 25k miles on class c's, class a's, and a diesel pusher. I like
driving it, I get Willies Place on the radio or the 50's music and boogie on
down the road. One of the joys of my life!!
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #23

To the gals that learned how to drive perhaps in a RV school, we'd highly recommend keeping up with it constantly. Don't just put it on the back burner saying "I know how to drive". You need to keep those skills up.... and in all conditions of weather and types of roads otherwise when you really need to do so you're going to be rusty and possibly have something else on your mind such as a medical issue. Just a twisted ankle can require you to drive for weeks or else just sit in the campground.

As full-timers and traveling constantly we each took turns on the alternate campground move. On our whole summer Alaskan trip we took turns daily, mainly so the other could relax and enjoy the scenery. We both equally really enjoyed driving.

We also shared the hooking up duties - the towed vehicle, electric, water and dumping the tanks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Two gypsies
You are so right about driving to keep your skills up. I spell my husband when ever he wants a break or I get bored. That is the reason for learning so you can take turns.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #25

Me - I really wish you would try to drive the MH.
DW - I'm not comfortable with it.
ME - How will you get comfortable unless you try it?
DW - Not gonna happen

DW - Your following too close
DW - Your going too fast
DW - Why can't you just stay in the right lane?

Me - The view from the cheap seats must be pretty good!

I should get out of the hospital in a couple days

Seriously, my wife has no desire to drive our coach, in any way shape or form. When I asked her what she would do if something happened to me, she said. "I know how to dial 911, and being an RN for 34 years, my first job is taking care of you. I will do what I have to do, in that situation and then I will call our son to come get the motorhome from where ever we are".

Sometimes it's best to accept what you can't change.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV School for us also. 12 hours over 3 days was perfect. I did almost all the driving because I felt that I needed it more.

We found it beneficial that we both heard the same instructions - we can help each other remember. We both also sat in the passenger seat and learned to better judge the tight turns from that perspective.

One other benefit of the school that's not mentioned is the establishment of standardized (for that couple) backing/parking signals, plus determination of the exact pivot point for your particular rig. This has been one of our most unexpected and beneficial surprises - makes parking MUCH easier.

That all said, it's like pulling teeth to get my DH to let me drive :-). But at least he knows it's important that I keep my skills.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
My wife is the opposite. She is overly confident and wants to drive it. Then she goes hog wild in the corners and throws caution to the wind. Pride comes before the fall, i just sit in the back quietly with a helmet and other protective gear on for the inevitable crash...
Old 02-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
I have been going through this for years. My wife insists on telling me how to drive, and it never lets up. No RV driver's training is ever going to change that. If I miss something laying in the road, I didn't miss it. I just almost hit it. She can't differentiate. I can't take much more.
P.S. My wife is a horrible driver to boot.
Maybe it's time for a trade in! . . . . . but keep the truck and trailer . . . . Just kidding.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote