Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Wife reluctant to drive replacement motor home.

We traded in our gas powered 37' Newmar Kountry Star for a diesel powered 40' Newmar Dutch Star. My wife had no problem driving the KS, yet she is very nervous/reluctant about driving the 3 foot longer DS. Anyone got any ideas on how to get her more comfortable behind the wheel? All ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Albert
09 DS DP
steve6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Try to find a large empty parking lot to practice in. Confidence should build quickly.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Community Moderator

The Dutch Star should drive better in every way....more power, more powerful air brakes to stop quicker, independent front suspension.....the engine is way in the rear, so you will hear less engine noise.....

Change is difficult .....but she should build confidence quickly.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is it just the physical size???
It might be air brakes, engine response, steering,
or drivers chair size, feel, etc.

Try to get to the real reason and work on that.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Maybe a class with an instructor? My husband and I did the RV Driving School.
Ours was very local and very helpful. While we are in a 38ft DS DP, it does help. It might also be the difference between gas and diesel as well as the three extra feet.

Ask her why it bothers her...but not in an accusatory way. Just ask her why she is uncomfortable with the slightly longer DP. But do NOT push her.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Apparently she is comfortable with the width of the RV so I think the major reason is the length for making turns. I found this RV Confidence Course video to be very helpful, especially in making turns. A large empty parking lot setting out some traffic cones or something else would really help.

Perhaps you should have told her the new rig was 3 feet shorter than the old one.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know my wife is intimidated by all the "doo-dads" on our DP... the tag lift, the parking brake, the air gauges, the exhaust brake, the transmission control panel, etc. It's all so foreign to her that she feels like she'll be completely distracted from driving safely and/or not know what to do with all those switches and buttons when she needs to push one.

Also, from watching me she knows she has to swing out wide for right turns - even more so when towing - and she's a little freaked about "how much is too much and what if I don't swing out enough?" I try to reassure her that it all comes pretty naturally with practice, but she's worried about what kind of damage she could do while she's "learning."

Secondarily, she's so freaked out about all the little stuff that I worry she won't be prepared to handle an emergency - like a blow out - so that freaks me out... so for now I do all the driving.

She practices on dirt roads while we're boondocking on BLM, so maybe over time she'll want to get out on the road, but I'm not going to force her beyond her comfort level. Let's face it - these are big machines that can easily overwhelm anyone who's not ready for the driver's seat; the last thing we need is someone behind the wheel who's not mentally prepared to drive one.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had trouble going from Class C to Class A. Finally, just kept sitting in the drivers seat, driving around the campground until I got the nerve to go on the highway. It really didn't take that long to feel comfortable with the longer vehicle.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Spend a week or even less at the Lazy Days Campground in Seffner Florida. Then sign her up for the FREE Driver's Confidence Course at Lazy Days.

While staying there you will see many coaches driving by with women at the wheel. They have classroom instruction first followed with the driving session right in the campground.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #10

Seems obvious to me! DP's are a testosterone thing!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

It might be she's uncomfortable being ahead of the steer wheels rather than on top of, or just behind, them. When I started a second job as a transit coach driver, after 30+ years as a mechanical engineer in the aircraft industry, I initially had problems with that. A good instructor soon got me sorted out, but the 45-footers in city rush-hour traffic were white knuckle moments for a few weeks. I'm glad I didn't have to get used to double-deckers!

Maybe an hour or so with an instructor from your local transit agency or one of their experienced drivers, using your coach, would solve the problem.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I did not have to encourage my wife to drive either the Class C we had or the Class A we have now. She has ventured out on her own to dog shows for the last 19 years in RV's so with her it was a matter of necessity.

That being said when we travel together I do most of the driving. She prefers to talk on the phone, search the web, check facebook.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sort of have the same problem with my fiancée. We were driving somewhere and I mentioned that I need to teach her on driving the RV so she can give me a break. She said she'd prefer not to drive it. She is intimidated by its size.

Mind you, it is only a 23' Class C, not at all difficult to drive. She is a bit petite in stature.

I'll have to work on her some more. Having her try it out in a big empty parking lot is a good idea.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

Get a 'Kountry Star' logo for the Dutch Star's steering wheel. Use it whenever she is behind the wheel. Maybe ??

If her fear is that the new is wider than the old, check it out. Is it? There might be a perception of width because of the mirrors, or because the cockpit floor is flat. Perhaps if she is shown that it feels wider but is not really much wider, than she can more easily deal with it.

Of course, the new one might be significantly wider. In which case, she will have to take the slow boat to comfort as most others here have described.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement