Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Wifi Boosters - do they actually work at typical campgrounds?

We just returned from a 6 week trip and stayed in more than 12 different campgrounds. We noted that in many, the wifi connection was strong, but internet access bandwidth was near useless. This included most of the better (e.g.: more expensive) campgrounds we stayed at. We were not playing videos for the most part (occasional attempt to play a short youtube or embedded one and many times froze while loading). Most of the time, we were trying to look at email, facebook, a forum (text loads), or searching for a business or map location. And we noted that the more campers were there, the worse it got, as expected. Some campgrounds were near empty a few nights and internet access was still crappy on their wifi. We estimate that 80% of the time, we gave up and used our cell phone bandwidth to access internet. (either as a hotspot for the laptop or directly surfing on the smartphone). It was particularly frustrating when we were ready to pull out and trying to select a map route for our days driving, sometimes needing to find an RV-friendly fuel station along the route.

We haven't invested in a Wifi booster, but with these symptoms, I speculate it would not help in most places. Change my mind.

Has anyone actually tested internet speed with and without a wifi booster at the same campground/location?

Would we be better off to spend the money on a cell signal booster with external antenna and buy the extra Megabytes from our cell carrier?
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
They will boost the signal but not the bandwidth, so if bandwidth is bad you will just be improving your connection to bad bandwidth. Mine is laying on the closet floor, replaced it with a JetPack from Verizon much happier now.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

I've never conducted the test as you asked but, I have a Wineguard ConnectT on the roof of my coach and the repeater inside my coach. If I power down the Wineguard the signal inside my coach is only 1 bar, with the unit powered on, I get 4 bars of wifi strength. I've only tested it at one RV park but it really works.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
We just returned from a 6 week trip and stayed in more than 12 different campgrounds. We noted that in many, the wifi connection was strong, but internet access bandwidth was near useless. This included most of the better (e.g.: more expensive) campgrounds we stayed at. We were not playing videos for the most part (occasional attempt to play a short youtube or embedded one and many times froze while loading). Most of the time, we were trying to look at email, facebook, a forum (text loads), or searching for a business or map location. And we noted that the more campers were there, the worse it got, as expected. Some campgrounds were near empty a few nights and internet access was still crappy on their wifi. We estimate that 80% of the time, we gave up and used our cell phone bandwidth to access internet. (either as a hotspot for the laptop or directly surfing on the smartphone). It was particularly frustrating when we were ready to pull out and trying to select a map route for our days driving, sometimes needing to find an RV-friendly fuel station along the route.

We haven't invested in a Wifi booster, but with these symptoms, I speculate it would not help in most places. Change my mind.

Has anyone actually tested internet speed with and without a wifi booster at the same campground/location?

Would we be better off to spend the money on a cell signal booster with external antenna and buy the extra Megabytes from our cell carrier?
I can't answer your question. But having had the same problem so many times is why I bought an I-Pad with it's own phone number. Yes I know I have to use our data, but I leave my lap-top home now when we're traveling, it was way to frustrating trying to use it with campground wi-fi. like you said looking at maps or checking out our next place to stay. Plus we use it to watch movies on the TV from Net Flix & Amazon prime I don't know, I'm not the smartest person with computers but the I pad made our traveling a whole lot easier. Even with only one bar I can surf the net, check and receive emails. We had a "Park model trailer in the gold country in Ca. that we used as a vacation home. The Wi-Fi was horrible, one year they raised our yearly dues. One of the main reasons for the price increase was because the park installed a completely new Wi-Fi system. It was as weak as ever, after complaining to the park in writing we received a letter explaining that they were sorry but the reason our trailer was receiving such a weak signal, was because a 100 year old oak tree was blocking the signal. That was the "Straw that broke the camel's back" We pulled the trailer out after being there for 30+ years.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:

We haven't invested in a Wifi booster, but with these symptoms, I speculate it would not help in most places.
You are correct.

Quote:
Yes
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

I put both the Winegard Connect wifi booster and Smoothtalker cell booster on our coach. Does not help much with park wifi, mostly that still sucks. However, if there is any cell signal at all, the Smoothtalker boosts that significantly, I then create a HotSpot with the phone and tune the Winegard to that to establish wifi, now that gives me super wifi thruout the coach. Now if I knew how to crack other wifi network pass codes, the Winegard pulls in lots and lots of wifi networks, all most all of which are password protected. Not much use.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

Digital radio basically either works, or it doesn't, just like you see on digital TV. Yes, a booster or external rooftop antenna can get a signal where an interior device fails to, but that's not your issue.

We have the WiFi Ranger system that has an internal and external antenna routers (2 separate devices) so at a glance I can compare the signal strength between the two for the same WiFi source. Nearby high quality sources the difference is irrelevant. For distant weak sources absolutely the SNR falls faster on the internal antenna. And the external antenna picks up distant weak signals that are not found at all by the internal unit.

Thing is, those weak signals are almost never the CG. It's campers with a jetpack or neighboring businesses or homes. Which are rarely open. It's a rare situation where the signal is weak, and open/unsecured, and has any usable bandwidth.

Hope that helps. I'd spend the money on more cellular bandwidth.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice above. An external wifi antenna will get you pretty much all the improvement to be had for campground wifi. The primary problem in most campground systems is a low-capacity internet connection at the campground server, resulting is limited connectivity and poor or non-existent performance. There ain't no fixing it when 20 campers try to get online in the evening and the campground internet only has capacity for maybe 2-3 users.

We always carried a Crane Super USB Wifi antenna for use in those campgrounds that actually had decent wifi service. It would bring in any available signal, often including some outside the park (but few of those can be used without passwords). More often we used our Verizon Myfi cell modem/hotspot, which worked adequately in most places. We also used a Weboost cell booster (external antenna & amp) for a few years when we spent a lot of time in a mountainous area where cell signals were often weak. It was expensive but it saved the day several times.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
They will boost the signal but not the bandwidth, so if bandwidth is bad you will just be improving your connection to bad bandwidth. Mine is laying on the closet floor, replaced it with a JetPack from Verizon much happier now.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve got both, WiFi booster and a WiFi connected to a load balancing router, if one goes down or gets too slow the other takes over.

The directional WiFi one’s can be useful as they can grab a signal from such a long way away, if the bandwidth is bad in the campsite you may be able to get WiFi from the coffee shop a bit down the road, but you have to hunt for it.

Luckily here in the UK mobile data prices are not too bad, I get 200Gb a month for about £30.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Is it worth it to spend $600+ on a Wilson WeBoost 4g booster when 5g is just around the corner?

Quote form Verizon:
Verizon has turned on the world’s first commercial 5G network in Sacramento, Houston, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Is it worth it to spend $600+ on a Wilson WeBoost 4g booster when 5g is just around the corner?

Quote form Verizon:
Verizon has turned on the world’s first commercial 5G network in Sacramento, Houston, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis.

Really depends how quickly it will roll out, only now is it becoming unusual to see 3G rather than 4G and how long has 4G been around?
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Quote form Verizon:
It's my understanding that the 5G that you referenced is meant to compete with home Internet service. This is not the same service as 5G cellular service.

Mobile 5G is supposed to start rolling out next year but I suspect that it will be similar to the 4G rollout which took almost two years to get to my area. 5G is supposedly built off of existing LTE networks so maybe it will come quicker.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
It's my understanding that the 5G that you referenced is meant to compete with home Internet service. This is not the same service as 5G cellular service.
Actually, that's good news as that's what we RV folks are looking for.
Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, wifi