RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

Will replacing sofas and dinette cushions add and value when selling

Hi,

The cabinetry and flooring in my 2005 Damon Daybreak are not so bad, but the sofas and dinnete cushions are ugly and uncomfortable. I have already replaced the head banger TV with an LCD and cd stereo with a blue tooth version.

The sofa bed is so uncomfortable that guests use an air bed.

If I changed the sofas and dinnete cushions could I expect to get any of the cost back if selling privately?

The reason I ask is we plan to change the coach in the next year or two.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

My guess is you won't necessarily recoup the costs, but it will probably help you sell it quicker and easier. If someone is comparing your updated version with an older-looking version, I'd think they'd choose yours. They might pay a slight bit more, but I wouldn't do it for that reason. I'd do it for my enjoyment.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
My guess is you won't necessarily recoup the costs, but it will probably help you sell it quicker and easier. If someone is comparing your updated version with an older-looking version, I'd think they'd choose yours. They might pay a slight bit more, but I wouldn't do it for that reason. I'd do it for my enjoyment.
Great point.

Thats what I was thinking while out walking the dog.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

"Will replacing sofas and dinette cushions add and value when selling"

No.

RVs, particularly towables and low-end self-propelled versions, are depreciating assets.

At 6 months old they do not hold anything close to their off off-the-lot pricing.

It is most egregious for towables. There are no safety standards, there is no industry standard (unless one call mediocrity a standard), and they are built using crude, low-tech components, by mostly unskilled low paid workers.

They lose value extremely quickly, and consequently you rapidly descend to a residual value that is no approximation of original cost. Velvet dice from the rear view mirror (or any other frill) adds no appreciable value.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
"Will replacing sofas and dinette cushions add and value when selling"

No.

RVs, particularly towables and low-end self-propelled versions, are depreciating assets.

At 6 months old they do not hold anything close to their off off-the-lot pricing.

It is most egregious for towables. There are no safety standards, there is no industry standard (unless one call mediocrity a standard), and they are built using crude, low-tech components, by mostly unskilled low paid workers.

They lose value extremely quickly, and consequently you rapidly descend to a residual value that is no approximation of original cost. Velvet dice from the rear view mirror (or any other frill) adds no appreciable value.

Thanks,

I guessed that was the way.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

It won't add value but will make it more desirable.
Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
It won't add value but will make it more desirable.

Thats great to hear.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #8

I tend to agree, but it also depends on how bad of condition they are in. Normal wear is one thing, if it looks like it has been shredded by a wild animal thats another. You don't want potential buyers instantly tallying up all the money they are going to have to spend on an RV to make it functional. So while it may not add value, it may allow for a quicker sell, at a slightly higher price, though unless it is DIY project, or some other bargain, chances are it is at best a financial break even prospect.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I tend to agree, but it also depends on how bad of condition they are in. Normal wear is one thing, if it looks like it has been shredded by a wild animal thats another. You don't want potential buyers instantly tallying up all the money they are going to have to spend on an RV to make it functional. So while it may not add value, it may allow for a quicker sell, at a slightly higher price, though unless it is DIY project, or some other bargain, chances are it is at best a financial break even prospect.
Thanks Issac,

They are both in fine condition. The passenger one is comfortable but the driver's one is not great. My wife uses the passenger one (its shorter) and I make the dinette in to a day bed to watch tv.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #10

Here is a photo[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_150908.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	192780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171229_151647.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	192781  

Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

I concur with GG; change it out to what you like. You will enjoy the next year or two much more. It may also help with the sale, if not the price.

You may also keep it longer............................

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

What if you just saved the old cushions and when you sold it the new purchase would have a choice, or you could change everything back to original?

We have never came close to getting back from a RV what we had in it, monetarily speaking. We did however, make whatever changes we thought were necessary for our comfort while we had it.

Best of luck with the decision.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tags
sell