Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneroamer View Post
The battery's seem to be the weak point in the whole equation, but I see a day when a battery charge can last a week or more.
There are really a few problems (I do solar installs):
1) Solar isn't demand based. That is, it can be cloudy (no power) and you might need to heat something. Or it could be cloudy and hot/humid. In these cases you need to store that power or you won't have any.

2) Storing power is expensive. Batteries have finite life, generally require some maintenance, and are hazardous materials. Batteries are relatively low voltage and bringing them up to grid power levels requires a LOT of batteries or a lot of power draw.

3) Our grid isn't designed to work with solar. It's not a problem in the US, but it's becoming a problem in Europe where there is more solar power. Companies predict grid demand and buy/sell nationwide to keep their customers in power. Solar throws another variable into the mix.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Extremely interesting and well written "Real Life" evaluation of LFP pros and cons by a real user over 3.5 years.

Living the Lithium Lifestyle – 3.5 Year Lithium RV Battery Update | Technomadia

Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I love lithium (LiPo) batteries for particular use cases. They're amazing batteries. Basically they putout massive amounts of power that doesn't decrease until they're almost fully discharged. This is in contrast to lead-based (or other) batteries that have a more linear decrease in power.

The technology in these batteries is what is powering all these drones (and other RC products) - basically made gas power unnecessary.

However, they have limited life (as mentioned in the article), they're not inexpensive, and more than that, they have a history of being a fire hazard much more than other battery types... I wouldn't use them in RV/residential unless they were incased in something fire-proof.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Tesla has made some huge increases in battery power. I recall they recently announced a battery size for powering a house.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

I live off grid and have ten solar panels, 16 L-16 batteries and assorted control devices. There is no way I could mount those panels on my RV and/or carry the 16 L-16 batteries. We are very power conscious but do have to have a back up generator which does run occasionally even in sunny weather. I'm aware improvements are being made in solar and battery storage but like others have posted I doubt I'll see enough improvement in my or my kids life time to have sufficient solar to adequately power all appliances in an RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #20

Maybe the question really should be is there a way to make a powerful generator whisper quiet now?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #21

Quote:
I'm wondering if this will be a trend because my favorite RV would be the Earth Romer, they live completely off the grid in our solar powered however they are quite costly and over $500,000 but I wonder is Earth Roamer starting A trend toward eliminating noisy generators and relying on solar power?
No, RV solar will not/cannot eliminate a generator today. For instance, last night it started raining and heavily overcast, this has continued all last night,all day today, will continue until at least daylight tomorrow.
It would require a large bank of lithium batteries to operate the RV for 36 hours without a recharge or feed to supplement the bank. Perhaps that Earth Roamer comes with a bank of $3,000 lithium batteries though, I don't know. This makes me curious, would a bank of lithium batteries run an air conditioner for 24 hrs without a recharge?(reference your desert concerns)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Maybe the question really should be is there a way to make a powerful generator whisper quiet now?
There is. It's called Honda.

:-)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This makes me curious, would a bank of lithium batteries run an air conditioner for 24 hrs without a recharge?(reference your desert concerns)
To do that, 120V * 12 amps * 24 hours = 34560 watt/hours. Lets say you need to cover 120% of that (if lithium) = 41500 watt/hours (rounding up)

So sure, a bank of batteries can do it... Taking non-lithium, say lead acid-golf cart batteries, 6v, 300 amp/hours runs about $400. These are 1800 watt/hours. It wound require 23 of them, at a cost of $9200 + an adequate inverter. Lithium would cost more, but would have a smaller footprint.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #24
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
There are really a few problems (I do solar installs):
1) Solar isn't demand based. That is, it can be cloudy (no power) and you might need to heat something. Or it could be cloudy and hot/humid. In these cases you need to store that power or you won't have any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No, RV solar will not/cannot eliminate a generator today. For instance, last night it started raining and heavily overcast, this has continued all last night,all day today, will continue until at least daylight tomorrow.
It would require a large bank of lithium batteries to operate the RV for 36 hours without a recharge or feed to supplement the bank. Perhaps that Earth Roamer comes with a bank of $3,000 lithium batteries though, I don't know. This makes me curious, would a bank of lithium batteries run an air conditioner for 24 hrs without a recharge?(reference your desert concerns)
Not debating a lot of what's been stated but the statements above seem to imply that a cloudy day means no power. I don't understand that as I've got an array for my S&B (6.5kw) that on a cloudy day easily outputs 1kw throughout the daylight hours. Yes, it's a huge drop from normal sunny days (I'll see 5.5kw usually) yet it still offsets some utility usage. It's like thinking you can't get sunburn on a cloudy day.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of the things I have take from reading the article I cited is that I can get 400 AHs with nearly 320 usable in a smaller space than my current 440 AHs with only 220 usable. On top of that I can charge them faster thus less genny time. This is without even considering solar power. Since I can get an honest 7 hours going down to 60% SOC I could see over 10 hours with the additional AHs without building something a tad larger.

Now, this is intriguing but costs and some uncertainties won't drive me to the bank to make that swap. However, I wonder how much longer it will be before LFP batteries become an option.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #26

Boondocking time limits

Moonrover:
Did you say you can camp barefoot for TWO WEEKS? I'm amazed! We can handle 4 days if we are conservative. But that is mostly because we run out of fresh water and gray water storage. In really cold weather, we've emptied our propane in two days, and the battery for the furnace fan went out too.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyCothran View Post
Moonrover:

Did you say you can camp barefoot for TWO WEEKS? I'm amazed! We can handle 4 days if we are conservative. But that is mostly because we run out of fresh water and gray water storage. In really cold weather, we've emptied our propane in two days, and the battery for the furnace fan went out too.

It's a bus conversion with massive tanks. I designed all the systems myself with dry camping in mind.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #28

The only cooling technology that could be an RV substitute for compressors are evaporative coolers. They draw 1/20th of the power of a typical ac unit but it also consumes water. If you had an easy water source and 400-600W of solar along with 4 to 6 GC batteries, most RVs would be power independent.

Tags
ace, generator, panel, replace, solar