Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Thanks for all the advise and we are looking forward to the next chapter. We are like Bob, and have fun wherever we are. As I said "WE are great tourists"

mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
If you enjoyed the scale and openness of Alaska you might be dissapointed by the closeness and crowds of teh east coast, but there is still a lot to see. It's really hard to compare the two regions as they are so different

1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
"Will we be disappointed?" can only be answered by you and your approach to life. A pessimist sees a stinky mess when they see a pile of horse manure. An optimist starts tearing into it, sure there's a Pony in there somewhere. I've never visited a place that has disappointed me, they're all interesting and beautiful in their own ways.
Eh, and the realist says..." hey, free fertilizer for my garden!"
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
While AK is on my bucket list, I think every place you go is whatever you choose to make it. You just need to get out there and enjoy life, wherever you are.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
After an Alaska visit, you're going to have a different adventure. On the East Coast, you won't find grand vistas with sno-capped mountains. When we lived in Virginia, reloacted from Washington State, the locals got ticked off when we said that anything without a tree-line and snow all year was a hill, not a mountain.

That said, there's a heck of a lot of history in the Eastern Seaboard states. Our kids thought they'd been deprived if we hadn't been to Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown in the last couple of weeks.

The real gems in the eastren states are historical rather than scenic. We didn't explore much south of North Carolina in the three years we were in VA, but Savannah, GA, Tidewater VA (Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News area) all have a lot of sites where the War of Independence and the Civil War were fought. It was a surpise to see that battles from both wars were fought in the same battlefields.

Washington DC has a wealth of interesting places to visit. After doing the "usual" stuff on a visit to our daughter in NJ a few years ago, we happened on the National Cathedral in DC as we were driving back to NJ. We'd never even considered visiting, but since we'd found it we went in. Fascinating place - we spent about four hours in there.

I spent a few months in the Philadelphia area, working at Boeing Helicopters. There are lots of interesting places there also. The civil war battlefields are well worth a visit, as is the Amish country.

We haven't been much further north than NYC, so I can't give you any info for that area.

Bottom line - you're not going to see the "WOW" mountain vistas, but the historical stuff will make up for it.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have to chime in once more. As I said earlier, grandeur comes in more than one form. The folks that say there is little or no wow factor in the east have not been to the right places. If you are not struck by the beauty of the Green and White Mountains, the coast of Maine or the Outer Banks of North Carolina, I will be very surprised. Different than the vistas in Alaska, but just as beautiful in their own right. I do not want to sound like I am arguing with anyone - just want to be sure you know that there is beauty to behold in the east.
The history is important too. Have to say that - I worked at a living history museum for 23 years.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote