Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Will we be disappointed?

In 2011 my wife and I did a 10 month journey from Florida to Alaska and back. We had the best time of our lives. Everyday was a WOW!!
In 2013 we are planning a 5 month journey to see the east coast. Leaving Florida and going into Canada around Minnesota, then to Nova Scotia and back the east coast.
My question is will we disappointed after the trip to Alaska? we want that WOW factor. We love to hike and we call ourselves excellent tourists)

mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you like adventure, a trip to Ely, MN and the boundary waters is great. Outfitters will equip and route you for any length trip you like into wilderness areas. I throw a lure in the water as we paddle, catching lunch or dinner everyday if you like. Lots of great lakes in MN also. Don't miss the Maine coast, we took a fall trip to Acadia NP and Bar Harbor, ME. We also went to other places on the Maine coast, its a beautiful area!

You didn't mention when you plan to travel, but check areas you plan to visit for timing of Black Fly action. We experienced them in upstate NY in the Adirondacks Wilderness area. Those little buggers bite chunks of flesh from your skin without pain and leave you bleeding. Mosquitoes are also plentiful at certain times, you'll need rocks in your pockets to keep from getting carried off. I think that's why we enjoyed Maine in October, the bugs were gone!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be aware that campgrounds in the northern tier states generally close about the first two weeks of Oct.
The scenery won't have the grandeur of the Alaska trip but is still something to be experienced in my opinion.
In my experience campgrounds are quite a bit more expensive in that area.

There are a lot of things to see in the Boston area but I would stay up in NH and make day trips in the car to Boston and places like Sturbridge Village.
Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH is also a great take. It's a ten acre open air museum with 300 year old houses filled with exhibits going back to colonial times showing how the people lived then.
It will be much different than Alaska but still will be a great trip.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
(The scenery won't have the grandeur of the Alaska)
Oh, but I beg to differ. The scenery in the Maritimes is fantastic & every bit as grandeur as what I saw on my Alaska trip.
You will enjoy the trips around the different Trails in Nova Scotia & LOTS of hiking trails available. Be sure & do the Glooscap Trail, Evangeline Trail, Halifax/Dartmouth, Cabot Trail, Ceilidh Trail, Lighthouse Route & Sunsise Trail.
There is a lot of beautiful scenery in Alaska but I will tell you there are places in Canada every bit as enjoyable. You just need an open mind & wide open eyes. If you take the Lake Superior Route once you leave Minnesota, you will very pleased with the scenery.

38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
the north shore of lake superior is really nice good camp ground in two harbors and a quaint eatery in finland that you will enjoy
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Arctic Owl. Grandeur comes in many forms. Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI, Acadia National Park, the Downeast Coast of ME, Mount Washington in NH. I will be very surprised if you don't love what they have to offer. If you want to visit Boston and Old Sturbridge Village (worked there for 23 years) I would recommend a base to use. Boston Minuteman Campground Great little campground with fantastic owners and easy access to the city and surrounding areas.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
We went to the east coast in 2011 and I don't think you would be disappointed at all. We traveled from CA to FL, down the panhandle then across & up to Jacksonville then traveled the coast up to the mountains of NC for a month (great views & hiking there!) then on the NY & Niagra Falls. We stopped & toured a lot of the forts that were built during the Civil War, went to Tybee Island, Jekyll Island, Hilton Head Island, Charleston, Savannah, Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk!) Gettysburg, then up to NY and Niagra Falls. Coming back south we went through Ohio, WV, KY, TN and stayed in AR until November, then came back west. It was a great trip, but long. There's so much to see in this great country! Each part of the US has great things to see & do
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Each destination has it's own charm, but comparing it to Alaska is like comparing apples to potatoes. I live in NB (bout a 45min drive from NS). It all depends on where you go, and what you do, but it's so diverse on the east coast, I'm sure you'll find lots to love. The Cabot Trail (on the way to Cape Breton) is gorgeous...but a challenging drive. PEI (a quick trip from NB) is also beautiful in its own right. Quebec is stunning, especially old-Quebec...a tiny slice of Paris. And finally, Newfoundland has a rugged beauty all it's own. If you have time to explore and forgo some of the tack tourist stuff, you'll have fun, and enjoy the hospitality.

Attractions while in the Canadian east coast
Confederation bridge (NB/PEI)
Hopewell Rocks/Bay of Fundy (NB)
Montmorency Falls (Quebec)
Cabot Trail (NS)
Cabot Tower (NFLD)
Signal Hill (NFLD)
George Street (NFLD)
Citidal Hill (NS)
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (lots of Titanic exhibits...there's a large cemetery near by with those who perished aboard) NS
Niagra falls (Ontario)
Algonquin Park (Ont)
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Freightliner Owners Club
You want a WOW factor?

Go to Manhattan, try hiking from Battery Park, go to Ground Zero and see the Freedom Tower rising in defiance. Then climb the stairs at the Empire State Building before continuing to Times Square and finish up at Central Park.

The next day you can then go on the Jersey side, visit the Statue of Liberty (after it opens again and of course climb to the top) and then hike from Fort Lee right along the Hudson River. The cliffs of the Palisades will be on your left and the NYC skyline will be on your right. You will hike under the George Washington Bridge and climb the cliff in Alpine, NJ.

Then move inland to try a section of the famed Appalachian Trail. Springer Mountain, Shenandoah, Delaware Water Gap, the Pinnacles, Mt. Katahdin. All will kick your butt.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with all that has been said. We went through the New England States in October. Fantastic.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Nor'easters Club
Come visit us here on Cape Cod!
2016 Entegra Anthem 44B
08 Jeep Wrangler,14 Buick Enclave
Bailey our Boston Terrier
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #12

Maine. Grandeur there too!

Acadia Park is grand. Don't miss it. If you only do Bar Harbor, you don't see the REAL Maine. Bar Harbor is just another place to get chinese t-shirts of a different color for too much moolah, and very crowded.
Machias, Eastport, Whiting etc, are further along the coast. Lower prices during peak season cuz there are so few tourists that go there. Blueberries $2.75 a qt. Great lobster rolls, 2 for $12, lobster right off the boat. We go out to eat where the locals do, not the tourists.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I have been to Alaska on three diifferant occations and must say the absolute size of it will not be duplicated IMHO. Having said that, there is great beauty in the entire Lower 48 if you take the time to see it. Have fun on your next trips, and enjoy every moment of them.
1999 NEWMAR American Star * Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally * Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
"Will we be disappointed?" can only be answered by you and your approach to life. A pessimist sees a stinky mess when they see a pile of horse manure. An optimist starts tearing into it, sure there's a Pony in there somewhere. I've never visited a place that has disappointed me, they're all interesting and beautiful in their own ways.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote