Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good down comforter on the bed is one of the best things towards keeping warm and minimizing heating requirements.

As others have commented an electric heater or two in the living area will reduce furnace usage. We use a small electric heater in the wet bay. And don't connect the water hose.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #16

So far I like Red James idea, just wait!

Woody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those temps are a bit below my comfort level but you'll get by. Keeping the slides in helps as does an electric blanket or electric mattress pad will help keep the chill at arms lenght. We cover the windows in the sleeping area with reflective insulation which has a noticeable effect. Electric heaters reduce propane usage but we still need the propane to prevent fresh water tank and pump from freezing which I set to low 60's.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Upon reflection I find it curious that the black and grey tanks are heated and the fresh water is not.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
It will be easiest if you turn the furnace on.
Most Motor homes with enclosed tanks and only the Furnace to heat the plumbing is rated to 20 (F).. You will still be comfortable at 10 or less but the pipes may freeze.

I added a bunch of standard old fashion light blubs
Under the fresh tank there is a gap. SO I put in a string of C-9 Size Christmas Tree lights. . These are the large old fashion OUTDOOR lights.. not the smaller C-7 or 7 1/2 indoor lights. 9 watts each they total over 250 watts of HEAT.. NOTE: you can get a 15 watt lamp that fits the same socket DO NOT USE IT. use only the original Christmas Tree type bulbs. (The larger ones get too hot and melt plastic).

On the far end of it, in the other end of the wet bay where the valves are.. I have a 100 watt Rough service lamp in a cage (The cage insures the lamp never touches anything)

At 11 Degress it was not enough.. But had I ran the furnace.. It would have been. THank fully this layout puts the greatest amount of HEAT where the elbows and other couplings are.. They can not take freezing.. The pipe that froze. was the middle of a run of PEX.. no damage.

I use mostly electric heat here.. I DO NOT recommend you do that but a Space heater or two on LOW (Different circuits as well) can supplement the Furnace. On HIGH they sometimes overload RV wiring and you end up with "How Wire" smell or worse yet burnt wires or worse yet.. FIRE. (have seen first two. In all cases the RV owner, myself included, got either lucky or skillful enough to prevent the fire).
Old 12-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budski View Post
Easy way is come to Florida, 86, 87, 84, 82, 85 overnight 67,64.65,71. no need to worry about heat
Budski
If everyone liked hot humid weather.... Florida would run out of RV sites and parking spaces.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #21

Considering I think you are pulling a trailer... You will take a while warming up unless you run with the furnace on. I would plan on maybe turning it on an hour before you plan on getting to camp or when you get to the campground while registering. Any head start helps. if you have an electric blanket turn it on an hour or so before going to bed.

Vent pillows help a lot. So does Reflectix cut to fit between the shade and window.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have not been in quite that cold weather, but have seen some 25 degree overnights. We definitely have an electric blanket that we turn on about 15 minutes before going to bed. We have electric heaters and even running them overnight it is cold in the morning. Our furnace is propane so we don't let it run all night. In the morning with furnace and electric heaters, it takes about 45 minutes to warm up the MH. So yes, I think you will be cold when you get up in the a.m. Unfortunately these MH's are not insulated well.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
We have not been in quite that cold weather, but have seen some 25 degree overnights. We definitely have an electric blanket that we turn on about 15 minutes before going to bed. We have electric heaters and even running them overnight it is cold in the morning. Our furnace is propane so we don't let it run all night. In the morning with furnace and electric heaters, it takes about 45 minutes to warm up the MH. So yes, I think you will be cold when you get up in the a.m. Unfortunately these MH's are not insulated well.
bsirby
Why don't you let your propane furnace run all night?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #24

We will be down to 15F overnight and I bought a couple of $10 fan heaters from Walmart which on medium keep everything toasty overnight - and there is an electric blanket as well. Since the furnace won't be running, I'll probably put the third heater in the wet bay on low just in case. Water hose will be disconnected overnight. Water tank full and waste tanks emptied, but still in use overnight.

Propane furnace is always there as a backup.

"Why don't you let your propane furnace run all night?" Too noisy and electricity is already included in the price. If boondocking and below freezing is limited to a few hours, then Catalytic heater with several CO alarms is good - plus electric blanket as required. Colder for longer then no choice but to run furnace.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
bsirby
Why don't you let your propane furnace run all night?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, the furnace runs forever, I would lay awake counting dollars flying out the door....lol
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #26
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have used a down feather blanket forever while doing my RV thing. Great in summer and winter. My fresh water tank is right under were I sleep. Where I sleep is heated by electric or LP (furnace). All the fresh water lines are inside the heated area of the camper. So no worry of freezing.

I do set the furnace at a low temp so it will kick on if it is really cold.

Those times RV antifreeze is put in first. So the tank valves see it.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #27

Seems we will be OK with furnace and electric heater and full fresh water. My last concern is the water pump and filter which are located in an compartment with the water heater. I'm wondering if the water heater will heat it enough so they won't freeze.
Woody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I stayed in my coach during the entire month of April in the Upper Michigan, there was +1' of snow when I arrived and it snowed another 2' of snow during the month. I stayed in the campground until Sept when I found a place to rent.

Temps were down in the teens most of the nights (or lower). This is what I did.

I only had 1 20 amp cord for the coach, ran 1 heater in the living room, kept the slides in most of the time. I slept under heavy comforter. During real cold nights I open the cabinet doors under the sinks so the lines wouldn't freeze. I ran a 2nd extension cord to the basement and had 2nd heater running in the basement pointing the heater toward the back wet bay.

I bought 2 remote temp monitors and put 1 sensor in the basement and 1 up stairs. This was for my piece of mind to make sure nothing was getting down to freezing.

I did have a propane heater that I could run in desperate times but I didn't want to deplete my propane so used it sparingly.

When I got there my fresh water tank was full, I took showers in the campground shower house to conserve water. I let the black and the grey tanks fill up over the month, finally got to dump ~2nd week of May when the snow started to melt and I could move the coach.

I survived but it got down in the low 30's in the RV at night.

Good Luck

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote