Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Window behind bed?!

Alas, our motorhome flooded in the hurricane (stored in Conroe, TX), and we are looking for a replacement. We found one from the next year up from ours, and the floor plan is a little different. It has a window behind the bed!

I am puzzled why that would be! How could you lean back and not just squish the blinds? And how could you look out the window, anyway? I just don't get it! Is this something I'm making too big a deal our of?

Thank you for your input in advance!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, you are making too big of a deal about it. I have reflectex insulation in that window as I do not like getting up with the sun.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We've got a window over the bed but it's high enough that you don't have a problem with the blinds unless you try to sit up in bed. In that case we aren't moving around and are usually just delaying going to sleep so we'll raise the blinds a bit. The bonus is that if you are camping without electric it provides cross ventilation in the bedroom.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
Alas, our motorhome flooded in the hurricane (stored in Conroe, TX), and we are looking for a replacement. We found one from the next year up from ours, and the floor plan is a little different. It has a window behind the bed!

I am puzzled why that would be! How could you lean back and not just squish the blinds? And how could you look out the window, anyway? I just don't get it! Is this something I'm making too big a deal our of?

Thank you for your input in advance!
Find the one that works for you not someone else.

I know that would never work for me.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Our first little motorhome had the window behind the head of the bed. It never bothered us, in fact, we never even thought anything about it. The rig we have now has the headboard type thingy and solid wall. It's turned out to be nice because we do sometimes sit up and read in bed at times.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker but yeah, i'd rather have the solid wall now days...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Prior to our current 5th wheel we had an A Class with window at the head of the bed. I was not too keen about that layout for a couple reasons. In cool weather it was chilly close to the window, and poor sound insulation when sleeping at a rest area. Also the pillows could push up in to the blinds. Having said that, we enjoyed the rig for the 10 years that we had it. Alex
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had a 1990 Fleetwood Jamboree with the window just above the bed. It was a pain. First off, you could always feel cool/cold air coming off of it in the winter, especially since coo air falls. Second, every time you moved or shifted your pillow, it would hit the blinds and make noise. As you noted, you couldn't sit up in bed without crushing the blinds.

Since we were stuck with this, I made a piece of paneling, that was about 8" tall and cut to fit inside the window frame. It helped keep out cold air and from smashing/hitting the blinds.

I don't know if it would be a deal breaker, if you're willing to make something like I did.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That is all helpful. It is such a shame, because otherwise that would be the perfect coach for us. I just fail to understand why they built a window as a headboard! We sit up and read or watch TV every night!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach has the window at the head of the bed. It is not a great design IMO but it is a trade-off in our particular floor plan. It is the emergency escape window in our bedroom so I don't want to cover it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
With OP on this, window over bed would be a deal killer. We also read and watch TV in bed. Although we use the two either side for ventilation.
Had an after thought. If the coach is right for you, price and condition, a creative solution might be, remove the window have a matching outside or painting/picture installed outside and a tufted interior. Cost on purchase would need to be right to do the extra and ventilation Windows remaining.

LEN
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about your loss!

We have a window behind the bed in our Class A. My husband insisted on one. He likes to look at the stars at night. I appreciate the fresh air. We read and watch TV in bed and it's been no big deal. We just lift the blinds up or lean against them. It doesn't seem to hurt them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #12

The window behind our bed is an emergency exit.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed the horizontal venetian blinds in our bedroom window over the bed. Reflectix and curtains covered window. Warmer in winter, cooler in summer.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwalsh View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss!

We have a window behind the bed in our Class A. My husband insisted on one. He likes to look at the stars at night. I appreciate the fresh air. We read and watch TV in bed and it's been no big deal. We just lift the blinds up or lean against them. It doesn't seem to hurt them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Debby
Agreed, no window or one of those new windows that only crack open at the bottom an inch or so would be a problem.

I want to be able to see outside without getting out of the bed and i also want decent air flow so we can camp off grid without having to run the gennie to run the ac.

I do not worry about the blinds since they are up most of the time so we can use the window to.....I know this is gonna sound crazy!!!!!!!!! see outside and get airflow. If i get trapped in a campground where the neighbors can see into my bedroom window i figure it is up to them to close thier blinds if they do not want to see inside my bedroom.....ours is also an emergency exit.

I have often wondered why my rig does not have more windows.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window