Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

Window Covers

Any comments re the EZ SNAP window covers for RV's
fishrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

No experience with ez snap but we had the regular sunscreens made for our previous MH which I believe were the same material as ez but snaps were screwed in not glued on. They blocked the sun and heat very well and you could see out but others couldn't see in. The only issue was they really reduced ventilation. Fine in the desert heat with ac on 24/7. On our current MH we decided to go with awnings instead and we like them better. BOL

2014 Itasca 32H
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Magne Shade not only makes tire covers, but window covers. We had five on our last MH...driver's, windshield, door, pass window and double window on the curb side. All held on with magnets...easy on easy off.

Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

EZ snap shades installed

As I continue my quest to keep my Navion cool in hot weather I have just added the external sunshades made by EZ Snap. Their approach makes sense to me, as the shades go on the outside of the windows, preventing the sunlight from reaching the glass. Installation was fairly simple using the self stick snaps they supply. Pressing the snaps onto the siding requires a minimum of 15 pounds of force according to the instructions. I didn't have any way to actually measure the force I used but I did press hard using a socket and "T" handle so I'm pretty sure I used 15 pounds or more - time will tell. The rest of the installation was fairly easy, just cutting the shade cloth to size and pressing it onto the "pin" part of the two piece snap caps (their website shows how it all works).

We're predicted to have a Santa Ana wind (a hot wind from the desert) coming in the next week or so - so I'll have a chance to find out if these shades were worth the investment (about $300).

I have a Fancher windshield cover and foam pillows in the Fantastic Fan and the bathroom vent so I think I'm about done with heat protection for now. I suppose I could put Reflectix between the new shades and the glass but I prefer not to. I don't want my RV to resemble a cave.

When I first got this RV I was sure that there was something wrong with the roof air. On a 100F+ day in a Texas State Park with no shade the best it could do was to cool part of the interior to about 87F. I have since had the air conditioner repaired but it was a broken fan that had thrown a blade - most likely a factory defect that took a year or so to manifest.

To determine if the A/C was cooling properly I ran a test a few weeks ago and found that I was getting a consistent 25 to 30F drop between the input and the output temperatures. Measured once a minute for 2 hours, once with the fan on high and once with it on low. Plotting the results showed a pretty straight line in both cases, with the temperature drop slightly higher with the fan on low. So that result told me that the A/C is doing what it should but I have too much heat gain from somewhere and the windows seemed the most likely culprit.

I'll post an update after we get some hot weather so I can test.

John in San Diego

2016 Itasca Navion 24G
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Magne Shade not only makes tire covers, but window covers. We had five on our last MH...driver's, windshield, door, pass window and double window on the curb side. All held on with magnets...easy on easy off.

Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
X2 on MagneShade! I have had them on two coaches...can't beat them. I also have their tire covers.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach came with the outside covers for the windshield and cockpit windows. They have the stainless steel snaps that are fastened with screws.They are great at keeping the heat out plus privacy as well. They have weathered many windstorms and never came off. They were made in Arizona I think and I have seen many like them for sale down there.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #7

EZ Snap covers seem to help

I've recently added EZ Snap sunshades to all the windows of my 2016 , Itasca Navion 24G, except for the windshield where I use a Fancher cover. I put a piece of Reflectix between the Fancher windshield cover and the windshield. I just got back from a trip to Lake Havasu where the daytime highs were in the mid 90's and the A/C kept the interior in the low 70's. Before the sunshades and windshield cover I was lucky to get the interior temps more than about 10 degrees lower than the outside temps. So far I think the EZ Snap covers were well worth the roughly $300 cost.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window