Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I found a film called Geoshield Pronano Ultra 70 that I plan to try. It can be used on automotive or home.

It is totally clear, yet provides 90+ % UV protection and 54% heat rejection. You can even use it on your windshield!

I haven't got to that project yet but this is what I will be using.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You add this stuff for the summer, but in the winter when I let in the sun it's free heat. Full timers. I use the aluminum covered bubble wrap I can take out any time.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
You add this stuff for the summer, but in the winter when I let in the sun it's free heat. Full timers. I use the aluminum covered bubble wrap I can take out any time.

I was tempted to use that stuff as it is readily available at Home Depot but saw a number of folks had the heat reflect into their window and heat up the frames and did damage. When you start looking at this stuff, all sorts of horror stories and folks saying not to do this or that pop up. Camping in the winter here in the Hill Country is kind of pleasant. We have a small portable heater that works fine and I try and avoid the camper's propane unit as it gets things a bit too stuffy. It will really help extend out camping into the heat of the summer if i can get the temps inside down just a tad.

BTW: I installed a 15K BTU Brisk II in our 27' 5ver and took foil ducting tape and sealed around the vents including inside the bottom unit so cold air doesn't escape into the void between ceiling and roof. I put styrafoam at the ends of the duct runs which were open to the void. I installed new vents which can be directed and closed. Last, I have an 8K BTU portable A/C which vents out a window in the event we are parked in direct sun... it was really needed with the old 13.5K BTU unit in place. Gotta keep the missus and the puppies cool when parked in the direct sun! Our chihuahua is 19 and no longer has eyes (cataracts) and travels with us wherever we go. We usually take one of the other pups as well.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Just to follow up... applied the film suggested by Waiter21 (THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION). The windows don't get near as hot and in blazing Texas direct sun (about 100F or a bit more), cabin temps are about 3 to 4 degrees cooler than before.

The 50' roll I purchase; about half was used. I bought an "film installation kit" from Amazon and spent about $20. The cheap eBay kits would have done as well. Going camping this weekend along the Nueces River south of Camp Wood Texas and there will be little shade where we are staying and hope this latest installment of the quest for cool works as well as I think it will.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Follow up.... temps have been around triple digit and the trailer is nice and cool after all the mods. The film makes a big difference. We have an 8K BTU portable that vents out the window and haven't needed it. Just as an aside, the Big Oak River Camp in Camp Wood TX has zero OTA TV due to lack of proximity. The new WIFI system at the camp allowed us to stream Netflix movies without any buffering, etc. Been a great trip.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I owned a tint shop for 12 years. Just sold it last year.
If you have double pane windows you have to use architectural film so as to not break seals and/or glass.
Automotive film reflects the heat out which will overheat the gas in between or break the outside pane.
3m is definitely not my favorite film. My first choice would be ASWF or Lumar in that order.
The film will block 99% of UV which stops glare and fading of interior materials. It will also reject around 72% of heat. Ceramics give a small R rating but are not worth spending 3x the money.
Just an educated opinion.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window