Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Window tint film?

Our entry door window is "rough" on the inside. We would like to put that smoke color tint film sheet you can get at Walmart to block out SOME bright light. We don't think it would stick to a non-slick surface. Have tried various other ways to block light and nothing works out real well. Don't like the insulated foil as it causes window to sweat in winter. Don't want to spray paint it with window tint--too messy. Don't want hassle/expense of replacing entire window. Has anyone tried to stick that tint film stuff to this type window? Maybe we should just forget it and and do like an old AR friend of ours says "Just lick it up..." (aka "suck it up") THX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyandKris View Post
Our entry door window is "rough" on the inside. We would like to put that smoke color tint film sheet you can get at Walmart to block out SOME bright light. We don't think it would stick to a non-slick surface. Have tried various other ways to block light and nothing works out real well. Don't like the insulated foil as it causes window to sweat in winter. Don't want to spray paint it with window tint--too messy. Don't want hassle/expense of replacing entire window. Has anyone tried to stick that tint film stuff to this type window? Maybe we should just forget it and and do like an old AR friend of ours says "Just lick it up..." (aka "suck it up") THX
You could make, or have made, a wooden frame slightly larger than the window. Cement a piece of plexiglass to the frame, cover the plexiglass with the tint and use Velcro strips to hold it into place. You could easily remove it if you wanted the additional light on cloudy days.
Lynn

Old 05-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Window tint film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyandKris View Post

Well, Arkies do have a way with words, and are correct on occasion (just kiddin, wink-wink). And I bet I know who said "Just lick it up".
Do they make designer gorilla tape?
Me? I'd try the the stickem sheets, kind of like "fire for affect". Unless they are a real booger to undo!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

2 sided sticky Velcro and a dark colored bath towel. Walmart. or similar.

or hand towel if smaller.

to the frame of the window inside..

easy on ... easy off.

OR, with window film on the outside of window.

our bedroom is at the rear of trailer.. window is 4 feet long. I did it with Dark window film outside 1 year ago.. no sign of coming loose.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Ours has a pull down fabric shade like used to be used in houses. Lowes or Home Depot will cut them to size, problem solved.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
IC2

Both VHT (most any auto parts store) and Rustoleum (Home Depot, Walmart) make a spray on window tint. I've only used some white stuff that turns a window translucent which worked well, but 'assume' the other colors will as well.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #7

I just bought a dark curtain, folded it over several times and hung it from the cabinet over the door. Completely blocks light, but I can open it when I want more light.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tinted all my windows except that one. I was thinking of trying the film on the outside, and if that doesn't work, I think the window can be turned around so the smooth side is inside.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

My smooth side was on the outside of the door. I unscrewed the window frame and turned the glass around. I tinted the glass with film before the window was put back together. Works great and it was easy to do.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I tinted all my windows except that one. I was thinking of trying the film on the outside, and if that doesn't work, I think the window can be turned around so the smooth side is inside.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Tinting the side windows is going to be my next big project. I've been putting off doing it because I'm not sure how difficult it will be. You make it sound easy!

All of my windows, except the ones beside the driver and passenger seats, have valances. I don't know if I will have to remove them. Did you have that problem?

I'm going to use 35% tint so it's not so dark.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Tinting the side windows is going to be my next big project. I've been putting off doing it because I'm not sure how difficult it will be. You make it sound easy!

All of my windows, except the ones beside the driver and passenger seats, have valances. I don't know if I will have to remove them. Did you have that problem?

I'm going to use 35% tint so it's not so dark.
follow the directions on the package... make up the soap/water and use lots of it...

go slow.. and in the shade...

I have done 6 cars, 2 trucks and 1 travel trailer. . trailer was placed on the outside of windows.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Similar to V3600, we unscrewed the window and added a cut to size piece of Naugahyde...works great if you want 100% light blockage (we did since light from the window always interferes with the TV).

KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window