Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #1

Windshield Chip Repair

I recently discovered a small chip in the lower left area of the windshield on the Bounder 35K.
I've had mixed results with the DIY repair kits on other vehicles but have never tried one on the more vertical glass on the RV.
Most kits are really designed so the applicator tube is almost straight up.
I'm not too concerned about it being completely invisible because it's not in my line of sight. I just don't want it to spread.
I've also heard that a little super glue will also work.
Has anyone found a kit that has worked well on the straight up type of WS on a Class A?
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You may try and check with your insurance company.

We had a rock chip in our windshield, called a glass repair company who came to where we were staying and fixed. No cost to us.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you have glass coverage most insurance companies pay for the service with no deductable. For your question no.

LEN
Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #4

I've used the standard $10 chip repair kits on several VW vans with nearly-vertical windshields. I never had a problem with penetration or longevity of the repair.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We just had one repaired just below the wiper blade. Our insurance does the chip repair with no deductible and they came to the house. When I got the chip we were on the way to a campground and they would have sent the mobile repair person there but I decided to wait until we returned home. The chip is still visible but it prevents the spider cracks from running. It is the second repair on the windshield and the first one was done over 2 years ago and has not run.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The best way, and what glass companies do, is to drill a small hole through the outer layer of the glass, evacuate the air and inject,via the vacuum, a resin to seal and strengthen the windshield. I had it done to our coach 10 years ago and it is still holding! I felt it is better to do a repair than to do a complete replacement, the glass is too integral to the framework of the coach to mess with it for a small crack that is not in the main viewing area. JMHO.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Thanks. The local glass shops are backlogged for 2 to 3 weeks and we leave before they can get us in.
I bought a repair kit from the auto parts store and will apply it in a couple of days. I'm pretty sure it'll do the job but may not be as invisible as they advertise.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The best way, and what glass companies do, is to drill a small hole through the outer layer of the glass, evacuate the air and inject,via the vacuum, a resin to seal and strengthen the windshield. I had it done to our coach 10 years ago and it is still holding! I felt it is better to do a repair than to do a complete replacement, the glass is too integral to the framework of the coach to mess with it for a small crack that is not in the main viewing area. JMHO.

I have lots of recent experience unfortunately. I had a chip in my toad in Feb while in the RG Valley. Called insurance and they recommended a company. Did a terrible job, they really wanted to sell me a new windshield and even said so.

On the way home got a chip in the bottom of my coach windshield. By the time we got home, it was a 16" vertical, zigzag. Thought it was toast.

Last year, I thought I had a chip, and called the insurance company to refer a guy doing chip repair from his vehicle on my RV. Turned out to be quite a guy. Been in business fixing windshields for 16 years. Called him, he came up the next day, and can you believe it, he fixed this huge crack!

What I learned....don't let someone with a company who sells windshields try to fix your chip. Ask how many years of experience the guy has, ask if he has major accounts, like truck companies.

He said don't let them ever change a windshield unless it just has major damage. The windshield and adhesives used at the factory are sophisticated designs. Once you cut it and break the seal, if you ever flip your car, the replaced windshield will pop out like a wine cork, and the top will collapse.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

If you want the repair to last I wouldn't recommend any store bought kit. Professional guys use special tools to get the glue deep into the crack and an ultraviolet type light to activate it. Putting in some cheap repair glue will only contaminate the joint and make any future repair, if necessary, impossible. If no one is available locally, call someone where you will be.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If you want the repair to last I wouldn't recommend any store bought kit. Professional guys use special tools to get the glue deep into the crack and an ultraviolet type light to activate it. Putting in some cheap repair glue will only contaminate the joint and make any future repair, if necessary, impossible. If no one is available locally, call someone where you will be.
I agree. The guy that did mine even had a mirror that he attached to the inside of the windshield so he could see the sealant get pushed into the cracks. I had the chip repaired so I wouldn't need to go through the hassle of getting a new windshield and risking leaks. If that is your goal I wouldn't take a chance on a less than professional repair.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
Thanks. The local glass shops are backlogged for 2 to 3 weeks and we leave before they can get us in.
I bought a repair kit from the auto parts store and will apply it in a couple of days. I'm pretty sure it'll do the job but may not be as invisible as they advertise.
Next time, if there is a next time, you might want to consider Safelite. They have locations all over the country, and they will come to you - at home, at work, or at a campground.

Most insurance will cover this repair at no cost. If not, Safelite charges around $100. I had them repair windshield chips on 2 different vehicles. The repairs were not quite invisible, but almost. There was a slight hazy appearance about 1/8" long in the center of where the chip was.

Safelite has a lifetime warranty on the chip repair. If there ever is a crack from the repair, they will apply the cost of your repair toward windshield replacement. After several years, there never was any further propagation of a crack from either of my repairs.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #12

I would say 99% of the time its best to just pay for a professional to handle any type of glass repair or replacement. Its as cheap as doing it yourself and unless you've had some experience working in a glass shop you won't be able to get the same finish look and a professional job will likely last much longer as you won't have access to the same industrial / commercial grade resins the pros use.

Just my 2 cents

[Mod Edit]
NJ_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Another vote for professional repair. Had a fairly large chip repaired in Utah nearly 10 years ago and still looks the same even with exposure to temps from -25 to well over 100 degrees. Happened to be done by Safelite, but I would expect the same results from any quality glass shop.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #14

Safelite did my 2020 Winnebago Horizon's chip.
It was perfect.
$200. Paid by the dealer since I bought with the chip.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair