Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Windshield Sun Shades

Am thinking about trying to make interior sunshades similar to the style offered by RV Quickshades.com. Think I've found a source of fabric, needing ideas how to attach to the windshield. This company uses suction hooks. Has anyone made their interior sunshades? The hardware holding my current pull drapes is failing, will have to do something soon. Where can I buy more hardware?

Any feedback on purchases for the rvquickshades? Pricing seems good, but think I can save $$$ making my own.

calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw som\ew people I knew make their own sunshade for the windshield using fabric from Lowes. It was inexpensive and easily sewable. It had a nice design. Their method was to make a big rectangle basically that ran across the entire windshield area. Each side of the rectangle had a pocket for a dowel. The dowel then had a cord (stretchable) that would fasten to their side windows in some manner and hold the rectangle in place. IT was actually very nice looking and functional and very inexpensive.

I later saw the fabric in the garden section at Lowes, of all places.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
paz

Shade fabric is available from Beasley's in Center Hill, FL. They make patio mats and awning shades, but they also sell shade cloth by the yard. The shade cloth is surplus and overruns, so the price is very reasonable. Colors and widths come and go, but they always have black. The best thing to do is to call and talk to them directly. Ask about 90% shade cloth. They usually have various widths available. I bought a piece 6' wide X about 8' long for less than $20.

I used snaps to fasten the cloth to the bottom edge of the overhead bulkhead. The bottom edge is held down by several suction cups, and the edges of the screen tuck behind the plastic trim that runs down the side of the windshield.

Beasley's sells snaps, grommets and suction cups as well as the cloth. Their suction cups are good, but because of dirt and film that can build up on the inside of the windshield, I don't feel the suction cups would provide a strong enough hold for the weight of the shade.

We also made shades for the side windows in the cockpit and for some of the other windows in the coach. Read our blog entry on how we made the screens HERE.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

I did what you are thinking about..Twice. Then I got the RV Quickshades. The view and heat rejection is worth the extra $60 bucks.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

If the shades are to prevent people from seeing into the RV during daylight, inside application is appropriate.

If the shades are to help lower heat invasion, outside installation is a must for once the sun, or even warm/hot air reaches the glass, the heat is inside to stay.

Ed
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
If the shades are to prevent people from seeing into the RV during daylight, inside application is appropriate.

If the shades are to help lower heat invasion, outside installation is a must for once the sun, or even warm/hot air reaches the glass, the heat is inside to stay.

Ed
+1 We went with Prompt RV sunscreens on the outside for privacy and temp control. Very easy installation. While more than home made they were less than some other "easy installation" shades I found and am very happy with purchase. Also, DW, who was skeptical when I placed the order is very pleased with the results.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Making Measurements for Prompt RV screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
+1 We went with Prompt RV sunscreens on the outside for privacy and temp control. Very easy installation. While more than home made they were less than some other "easy installation" shades I found and am very happy with purchase. Also, DW, who was skeptical when I placed the order is very pleased with the results.
I'd like to order these too... but I'm a little nervous about getting the measurements just right. Their webpage describes the side window measurements fairly well (though not clear in some ways), but there's no mention at all about the front windshield measurements. I'd assume only height and width, but at the price, I hate to just operate off of assumptions!

What measurements did you take, and how precise does it need to be for a "perfect" fit?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I'd like to order these too... but I'm a little nervous about getting the measurements just right. Their webpage describes the side window measurements fairly well (though not clear in some ways), but there's no mention at all about the front windshield measurements. I'd assume only height and width, but at the price, I hate to just operate off of assumptions!

What measurements did you take, and how precise does it need to be for a "perfect" fit?
I didn't have to measure at all. He already had a template for my coach. Give them a call and let them know what you have. If they have made one for your model before than they will have the measurements. If not, they will tell you what to do to get the measurements for the windshield. They were very nice to deal with.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made my own with sun screen fabric I mail ordered from Home Depot and 10 50 lbs. pull 1" x 1/2" and 10 20 lbs. 1" x 1/8" round magnets from an internet supplier. Installed the 50 lbs. magnetics on the inside of the windshield to hold the screen to the outside and the 20 lbs. magnets sewn into the fabric. I used magnets because I didn't want to drill holes in the fiberglass for snaps and I don't need a ladder to install outside. No changes to the coach that can't be reversed.

I tape the fabric to the windshield and marked the material with the outline of the windshield then added an inch or so for hemming. Added pockets for the smaller magnets in the material on the back side and pockets on the from for a dowel to use to get the screen in place. I have installed on the inside a few time but being a sun screen it's not a privacy curtain. Would need denser fabric for that purpose but wouldn't be a problem attaching to the interior magnets. Material was a bit over $30 and the very strong magnets were $5 each and the lighter ones were about $1 each. The material was no problem sewing on a basic machine considering the material density was pretty light. I also made a sun screen (15 x 6) I add to the awning when the sun is in the right position as sunset approaches.

I copied the idea from Magne Shade. My RV budget wouldn't support buying direct.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I copied the idea from Magne Shade. My RV budget wouldn't support buying direct.
If I were to do it myself I would pay twice what retail is for the shades.... I have Prompt Sunshades on my list...
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was thinking about ordering the RV Quickshades, have read some good reviews from here(IRV2) on them. I don't know about anyone else, but if I really need to keep the heat out badly enough that I NEED the outside shades, I'm in the wrong place and it's time to move on.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
MagnaShade here. Great people and a quality product. Can't see in during the day and easy to put up.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the RV quick shades from my Coachman. When we transferred every thing to our new motor home they also were transferred. I have no use for them now. I had ordered them a bit larger than I needed. When i cut them I had enough left over to make about an 8" driving shade. In the Coachman I can not reach the sun visor when driving. Its a useless piece hanging from the cabinets in my opinion. [moderator edit]
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #14

I have used Quick Shades and Magna Shade. Magna Shade is by far the best but expensive.

You must keep the sun off the glass to keep any heat build up in the interior.

CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote