Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
I think the reason for people wanting to protect their wiper blades are doing so because they are so bloody expensive. I think mine cost $25 each and sitting in storage, they get sunburned in only a season.

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
If you want black wiper covers go to Home Depot and buy a 10 foot piece of 1" pipe insulator. About 3 dollars and you can cut and split them to fit any size wiper.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Thanks, When needed, I'll pick some extra insulator. I already keep about 16 feet of that on board to insulate water hoses for the rare cold weather excursion.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
The hose insulator idea is brilliant. For the mirrors and paint, has anyone tried that new 3M product that puts a plastic coat on the paint? It then peels off in one piece.
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can use a swimming pool noodle also. $1.00 each.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
To answer Mel S about the mirror covers - for some reason the birds don't land on the covers - I guess they don't shine where they can see themselves or something. I haven't had the poop problem since covering the mirrors. There is nothing worse than bird poop to clean up! I have those Adco covers from Camping World.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use $1.00 pipe insulation tubes, split and slide them over the blades in the summer to help them last a just a bit longer...when we are at home base...other than that no mirrors or wiper covers
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Some people care about how their stuff looks and try to keep it clean. I use the A/C insulation on the wiper blades so they don't get cooked by the sun and stuck to the windshield.

I ALSO cover the mirrors. It keeps the chrome clean and protected and keeps birds and bugs from trying to nest behind the glass near the power mechanism.

Lastly, one guy decides that he doesn't like mirror covers and so he rants about others using them. If you don't like them, don't buy them.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IThe reason I bought the mirror covers is to keep the coach looking like new. I store it outside and my last coach looked like new when I sold it after 6 years and 80000 miles. I have seen what happens to mirrors both chrome and black after a couple years in the elements. The chrome ones pit and peel and the black ones turn gray and get rough looking. Not to mention when your ready to take a trip, the mirrors are clean and no water spots to drive you nuts during night driving. Price a couple velvac mirror heads and then you let me know if the 10 bucks I spent was worth it. A whole lot cheaper than 500.00 minimum to replace. Never ceases to amaze me that someone will spend a couple hundred thousand and then whine about a few bucks to keep their rig looking nice. To those of you that gave helpful answers, Thank you! The pipe insulation is a great idea again to protect an expensive item and keep the arms from fading. The adco covers are made from tyvek I believe and in my opinion look cheap.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
You can use a swimming pool noodle also. $1.00 each.
Our coach is in covered storage, but we use a pool noodle to keep the wipers off the glass. We bought bright blue ones so we would see them from the driver's seat and remember to take them off before departing.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #24
You might try vinyl spray paint. Used it on the seats on my 60 & 62 T-Birds. Still holding up great even with me sitting on it. With new covers I would think about also getting the vinyl prep spray. You could then paint what ever color you want (that is available). Some of the people that live up north don't understand the sun damage farther south. I have the set- mirrors & wipers, also. Looks good and does the job with a little bit of style. Actually I leave the wiper ones on most of the time. Rain here in Arizona isn't a real big problem. The wipers on my 71 vet are hidden under a cover. Never have been stopped for not having wipers visible.

Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote