Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #1

Wine storage

As we slowly progress towards taking our first trip, we've started to load the RV with the basic necessities. We began looking at stowing of food and provisions, and we are at the question of wine storage. What do you wine drinkers do to store yours? One solution I'm considering is a wine rack laid on it's side it the rear closet. Wine Racks America : 24 Bottle Table Top Wine Rack

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions you'd care to share??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The distance between the spacers on your shown wine rack is different when it is laying on its side. Bottles would roll around. You will need a rack that maintains the correct spacing where you will be using it. The build looks pretty straight forward. Maybe you could just build you one......Know anyone that works with wood. Maybe find a wood working club or shop?...........Hope this helps..............ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

Ron: I agree, but I think the only area that would require modification would be at the top (4 bottles). That I can fix.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
I just put the wine on the pantry shelf. I haven't had any problem with the box rolling around yet.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We buy our as we need it and sample wine from other parts of the country but the best wines come from the Osage ridge just west of St.Charles Mo. on Hyw.94.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't think I would put a rack in the rear closet. Our pusher gets very hot back there and it can't be good for the wine.
As to the rack, look at www.jkadamsdirect.com/wine-racks/ ... They go together like Tinker Toys and can be made to fit most any situation.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
stirred, not shaken, eh?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You want the bottles quite tight. I've found the easiest solution simply to use a wine box and store it upright in one of the cupboards or downstairs bin (depending on how much we are carrying). You'll get plenty of rock and rolling with the driving so whether the bottles are upright or sideways doesn't really matter. And I find upright is safer with less chance of anything falling out. We store our "bar" liquor the same way and have a modified box (with foam inserts) for our glasses. No breaks 2 years on the road so the system works
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #9

I just wrap the gallon jug with bubble wrap and put it in the shower/storage closet.(just in case)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
As we slowly progress towards taking our first trip, we've started to load the RV with the basic necessities. We began looking at stowing of food and provisions, and we are at the question of wine storage. What do you wine drinkers do to store yours? One solution I'm considering is a wine rack laid on it's side it the rear closet. Wine Racks America : 24 Bottle Table Top Wine Rack

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions you'd care to share??
So glad you asked that question . . . we plan to hit the road full time in 5 years, but have purchased the coach already. I am constantly wrestling with where to put wine. I've settled for the short term with one of those carriers they have at grocery stores for when you buy 6 bottles of wine, but it's temporary at best. I like the tinker toy suggestion and have saved the link!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wine mailer box, the kind wine clubs ship wine in, no matter how you store it, bottles nestled in there quite happy, well protected, insulated a bit
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
You want the bottles quite tight. I've found the easiest solution simply to use a wine box and store it upright in one of the cupboards or downstairs bin (depending on how much we are carrying). You'll get plenty of rock and rolling with the driving so whether the bottles are upright or sideways doesn't really matter. And I find upright is safer with less chance of anything falling out. We store our "bar" liquor the same way and have a modified box (with foam inserts) for our glasses. No breaks 2 years on the road so the system works
Agree completely. We have used this method for 11 years with no problem. You can get a 12 bottle case box at any winery in the country.

Of course the best way to acquire a box is to get one with 12 bottles in it!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Geeeze....there ain't a bottle of wine on board our rig that lasts long enough to worry about storage. AND....only my wife drinks the stuff.

Steve & Lynette
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Exactly, cheap and convenient. You can store the box upright for travel and when you are at your destination, turn it on its side if your wine has actual corks and you don't want them drying out (yes, I undertand it takes time for them to dry out, but you never know how long someone may store wine in their RV...i.e. fulltimer). Plastic corks should make no difference if the bottle is stored upright or on the side.

Tags
storage