Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Winegard Roadtrip SD antenna

I have reviewed several older posts concerning satellite antennas and not sure about my issue. The motorhome I purchased has a Winegard Roadtrip SD in motion antenna. I have contacted Winegard and they assured me that this antenna will still work with the Directv H24 receiver.
A technician from AT&T came out last week and attempted to get the system working. He did not have any experience with a satellite system but tried to get it going without success. The tech took the receiver with him so they are shipping me one (I hope).
The support from Directv used to be great but now you are speaking to people who have no idea what they are talking about and read from a script (thanks AT&T). I am curious if anyone on the forum is still using the Roadtrip SD and if so with which receiver. I hate spending $2400 for a new system if this will still work. It appears that several posters to this forum are more technical than the folks who do this for a paycheck.
backpack96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

I am using an H-25 with no problems. Used it on my boat in Florida with a KVH then moved it to the MH (had to install a SWM switch for Winegard to work) when the boat sold. Even tho it was on the boat when I bought it, DTV said I didn't own it (no use arguing with someone who is reading from the script) so they charge me rent every month.

Last summer we took the MH from SW Florida to Seattle and it worked flawlessly for the entire trip. Now sitting in Key West and watching it.

I have been considering getting a RF Mogul to get HD, but the picture I am getting now in SD is not bad. It would be a lot of money for a little crispness.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Directv

Watch this and change to 18" round and multi switch instead of 3 lnb and swm. Remember (write down) what you changed so you can change back if you are going to use a a high def dish at a later date. Good Luck
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

Roadtrip SD

Thanks for the advice. Amazed how the folks on this forum assist others.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Just for clarification...
From what I read, the Roadtrip SD is a stationary use antenna. The in-motion version is the SDi model, which adds a GPS to the base model and enhanced motor aiming controls. If you have the SD model dish, it is not "in motion".

If you don't have the Op manual for it, get one at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...Sd.html#manual
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack96 View Post
I have reviewed several older posts concerning satellite antennas and not sure about my issue. The motorhome I purchased has a Winegard Roadtrip SD in motion antenna. I have contacted Winegard and they assured me that this antenna will still work with the Directv H24 receiver.

A technician from AT&T came out last week and attempted to get the system working. He did not have any experience with a satellite system but tried to get it going without success. The tech took the receiver with him so they are shipping me one (I hope).

The support from Directv used to be great but now you are speaking to people who have no idea what they are talking about and read from a script (thanks AT&T). I am curious if anyone on the forum is still using the Roadtrip SD and if so with which receiver. I hate spending $2400 for a new system if this will still work. It appears that several posters to this forum are more technical than the folks who do this for a paycheck.
I used the in motion road trip into September 2019.
Decided to go with out of the air.
I used the h24 and a swm.
No problems. Are your dip switches in the correct position? I used the satillite as a carry out. I'm probably going to sell the road trip mission satillite and the accessories.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just for clarification...
From what I read, the Roadtrip SD is a stationary use antenna. The in-motion version is the SDi model, which adds a GPS to the base model and enhanced motor aiming controls. If you have the SD model dish, it is not "in motion".

If you don't have the Op manual for it, get one at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...Sd.html#manual

I assumed he was referring to the Roadtrip T4 which is SD and "in motion" That's what I have.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...dtrip-t4-white
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #8

Winegard Roadtrip SD antenna

Gary, thanks for clearing that up for me. When I purchased the RV the paperwork stated an in motion dish. I saw an instruction manual for the SD and I failed to see the SDI also listed. Once again the ability of this group to assist with their technical knowledge amazes me.

Tags
antenna