Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #15

Having driven Volvos for decades precisely because of their proven safety and currently owning a Winnebago, I'd like to think that if their design addressed safety, that I would have heard of it. Safety is currently a huge concern in the automotive industry & often touted by the manufacturer. I would think Winnebago would if it applied. Born Free, used to address their safety features. They're the only RV manufacturer I've ever heard do so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rexair has welded steel framed walls and roof i though they were the only one

Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #17

We ran into a different Winnebago salesman. It seems to be a factory pitch. When I see them crash one into a wall at 60 MPH it will get my interest. Until then if you are worried about crash tests buy a C not an A. Any of them.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Some folks I know with a coach that was about 10 years old 5 years ago, when this happened, had a pickup run a stop sign and they hit it going about 50 mph. The truck lost. The folks in the coach were not injured, except for a few bumps, and I don't recall what happened to the driver of the PU, but the coach was off the road for about 6 months while a new nose was found for it.

I think it is unrealistic to think crash safety in a coach in the same manner you do with a car. Shear weight makes it unrealistic. But, on the other hand, consider where the passengers are located in a class A. We are WAY off the ground and are sitting with our feet on a heavy steel frame with a battering ram leading the way, be it a generator or the engine of a gasser. Becoming a projectile or being hit by them is more of a concern in my opinion.

In a rollover situation things are different, true, but the weight is still a factor. Just how much the box we live in will collapse depends on many, many factors like what does the coach role onto for instance. A big rock would certainly cause more deadly damage than a grassy median strip.

I think we need to be more concerned with fire. I believe (for what that is worth) that more RV's are lost due to fire than accidents. Even weather related events take a great tole on RV's. Can you imagine what the poor folks in RV's just went through in TX with all the hail storms that have recently happened? UGH!

When driving any size or style RV we MUST be constantly aware of our driving environment. Wisdom is the best role cage we can have and I think we can all stand shoulder to shoulder on this one. When I drive I always consider that the others on the road around me are just like me. We all have families and friends we want to see tomorrow. My responsibility is not to be the one that causes this desire not to be fulfilled. I must drive as if my grand children are in one of those vehicles around me.

Happy trails and safe travels,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
We ran into a different Winnebago salesman. It seems to be a factory pitch. When I see them crash one into a wall at 60 MPH it will get my interest. Until then if you are worried about crash tests buy a C not an A. Any of them.
Absolutely, every see air bags on a Class A? I believe Winnie has a good sales pitch, however the only unit I have seen Winnie drop was a Class B. I have no illusions that Class A's are more dangerous than an auto. In the middle 90's some coaches couldn't attach shoulder belts because the side walls didn't have solid attach points.

Out National Dolphin has steel construction, in fact all NRV products used steel construction, don't feel any safer, just drive with caution.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 27 years of cutting people out of wrecks, what they say in EMT class is true. It is the "third" collision that kills. First, vehicle impact. Second, you colliding with something. Including but not limited to dash, air bag, seat belt, etc. Third, you internal organs impacting within your body.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom,

I agree. The third crash kills. People don't understand that. If a MH (and I just bought a Winnebago) rolls over I figure if another vehicle comes through that front window my kids will be well off. My seatbelts are bolted into the frame. They are not a 5 point harness though and with a roll over who knows.

I'm going to drive as carefully as I can, give way every time I can, move over whenever I can. There are no guarantees. Three years ago I was waiting at a Stop sign waiting for traffic to clear. I was broadsided driver's side. I have a metal plate, 4 screws, and a donor bone in my neck. There are 6 damaged facet nerves in my neck. The surgeon held up his fingers and said you came that close to being a quad. He had his fingers about an 1/8 of an inch apart. I'm glad to say I am walking, w--king, and wiping my own behind.

You can be careful as much as possible but there is always the other guys. Mine was on a cell phone.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #22

I don't know about a roll cage but they did advertise a steel frame around the windshield.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #23

Wasn't Winnebago having problems with the roof tearing away while driving?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitneyaa View Post
I have looked into super c but very expensive. How much more safety does the super structure add over the competitor?
I don't like questions to go unanswered. Here is something I found:

"
SUPERSTRUCTURE is the term given to Winnebago Industries’ structural motor home design and construction. Rather than a single component, it is the culmination of design integration that incorporates steel and aluminum substructures; welded tubular steel floor risers; interlocking joint technology; and Thermo-Panel® floor, roof and sidewalls to form a high-strength,durable vehicle body.

Thermo-Panel manufacturing combines a durable exterior panel with welded aluminum support substructures. The substructures are embedded in a high-density, block-foam insulation core to create a strong, durable, yet lightweight sidewall. Just another Winnebago Industries’ invention.

The all-steel cab features integral A and B pillars for added strength and stability. Steel also separates the occupants from the engine compartment. Believe it or not, less advanced designs may use wood in this critical application.

A - Interlocking joint construction utilizes advanced extruded aluminum structural components to create integrated floor-to-sidewall and sidewall-to-roof joints. This design effectively distributes the weight of the walls and roof, making a stronger and more durable body than competitor
designs that rely on screws to carry the weight.

B - The foundation substructure assembly is precision-aligned to maximize strength and cross-coach support as well as durability.

C -Tubular steel risers feature a truss-design core for superior strength and provide a stable base for the floor structure and storage compartments.

D - Critical steel components are treated using an advanced electrode position coating
process that provides superior corrosion protection"
--------------------------------------

Hope that helps a little. I'm not an engineer so that's the best answer I can find.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wasn't Winnebago having problems with the roof tearing away while driving?
Good rumor?? Had'nt heard that one. Do you know which models?

I have heard of roofs tearing off but it was in conjuction with low clearance objects.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Gordon, Winnie roof failure happens more often than it should, search this site, several posts on the subject.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Gordon, Winnie roof failure happens more often than it should, search this site, several posts on the subject.

Fred
We are responsible for maintaining the integrity of the caulking above the gutter that holds the fiberglass roof edge in place. A 6 month inspection routine is call for by Winnebago. We have no problem following the oil change and lube recommendations of the manufacture, why is there conflict for the recommendations about body caulking maintenance?

Back to the other topic. Have you seen this? Major accident 2015 DS4369

Now, for construction take a look at this. I'll use my '11 coach as an example: http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...ridian_bro.pdf

And this: Winnebago RV Features | Superstructure | Photos.

When I was at the factory I did see a video of a class a being drop tested. They test new models as they come on line. The latest is a minni winne dropped 3 feet. I still don't know what real life application this has.

Hope I have answered a few questions for the non-Winne owners.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
When I was at the factory I did see a video of a class a being drop tested. They test new models as they come on line. The latest is a minni winne dropped 3 feet. I still don't know what real life application this has.
I was told they drop the unit and then determine what came loose inside. The items that came loose are then reinforced or re-engineered so they stay attached during an accident.

Tags
winnebago