Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I was told they drop the unit and then determine what came loose inside. The items that came loose are then reinforced or re-engineered so they stay attached during an accident.
Hey Gordon, they messed up on my coach. The cabinet over the couch came loose from the ceiling and partially pulled the window valance off the wall. When I tried to find the ceiling reinforcement for the front mounting I couldn't so I contacted Winnebago. The ceiling is simply a top and bottom 1/16" aluminum sheet with foam insulation. The cabinet is supposed to be secured to the ceiling material only.

I bought a strip of aluminum from HD and drilled through the ceiling and roof to locate the position. I secured the cabinet to it and caulked everything up. There is enough room on top of the slide so it does not interfere with it.

Winnebago has a good idea with the drop test but the top mounted fixtures will not be tested. Who ever engineered my model was not thinking beyond lines in a CAD.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Only what I was told.

I am having an issue with the entertainment center coming loose. I have scheduled it to be fixed along with a couple more items on my punch list.

Regardless of what reason they use, the fact that they do attempt some crash testing is a plus in my books.

Just listening to the big debate over the faulty air bag installations. Discussion also covered the GM ingnition fiasco and a recall by Chrysler. I guess there is a overall quality problem in the manufacturing industry and certainly what was being discussed was a lack of recall compliance by the manufacturers and lack of enforcement by the government.

When I look at all of the issues I am not too un-pleased with the few issues I have encountered with our MH and the alacrity they jump to fixing the problem(s).

Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey y'all. MY Winnebago is in the shop for a roof replacement after a hail storm (golf ball size) and when I went to visit it they had the old roof off, ready to put the new fiberglass roof on. The service manager asked me to go up and look at it. He then explained that the only thing the fiberglass sits on was the Styrofoam. All I could see looking at the roof without the fiberglass on it was a sea of Styrofoam and areas where "round saw" holes for wires were made, and the two fan vent holes. I don't have AC's on the roof and I think I can understand why. There did not seem to be much structural support.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #32

All that foam is good. No heat leaks through exposed framing. ;-)
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #33

Back in the day (Late 90's and early 00's) I sold New Winnebago's and Itasca.. and many other brands including American Coach and the Fleetwood line. And towables of all types.

I have been in factory tours of many manufacturers with the various marketing groups and dealer reps and had the unglossed versions of the pitch. I regret that I never did get to go see "Big Bertha", I still might make the trip to Winnebago at some point.

Anyway on these tours the "Feature and benefit" talk comes up with each selling point etc..One fact is true, all RV's are basically crap. Some are just nicer crap than others. Some use glossy bits and faux leather others like the industrial fabrics that feel like 90 grit sandpaper.

I have been out of that business for going on 12 years or so by now, and deciding it might be fun to actually own one of these motorhomes the decision was obvious for me.

I wanted a Winnebago.

Sure an American Dream would have worked but I had reasons for considering a 20 year old diesel sunflyer, cheiftain, Vectra or Luxor and the like, I had always been biased towards them, maybe because of the exposure I had to pretty much every brand out there both new and used. And talking with service guys about issues that would cut into my eventual commission really helped with my bias when I was selling used rigs I guess. Maybe people tend to sell what they like?

So, I was looking at older diesel pusher rigs and I wanted one that was built right, and one that I could still get support for, this ruled out Beaver,Monaco,HRC and most of the others so I found my Vectra and have not looked back.

Anyway,people often overlook some fairly obvious things in motorhome construction, after all these are not commercial buses.

Some reasons why I like the brand.

A motorhome drivers compartment floor is also a fire wall, even the diesel pusher has a generator engine under the drivers compartment more often than not, I also like my seats bolted to metal and not a threaded insert or lag bolt into wood, so I prefer the steel decking over the marine plywood that pretty much everyone else in that era used, even the American Eagle.

I like the fact that my windshield is bonded to a steel frame and not just held in the front fiberglass cap with a rubber rope seal. We had new coaches come in all the time with windshields popped out (American Coach was not immune) on one corner...at least the Winnebago's would just leak (a lot) from time to time. If I had to fly into that glass from the inside I would want it to be from the inside of a Winnebago. If a deer hit it from the outside I would like it to stay outside.

Seatbelt mounted to that superstructure,that has already been mentioned.

The way the unit is built has always been interesting, we actually did order a coach with zero cabinets connecting the walls to the ceiling. At the time they were the only vendor that a mobile dentist or other business could consider because no other "RV" manufacturer would sell a shell with no cabinets due to loss of structural integrity.(You had to get a bus to do that). It seems many builders NEED the cabinets to act as structural bracing.

Window frames, Winnebago made mine, and they may have made yours since they were at the time also an outside vendor/supplier. I dont know if they still do that...I have been away.

Things like holding tanks, shower, front and rear caps, furniture etc.. are all made in house. I might even be able to get a new piece for my 20 year old camper because they did not buy them from a supplier that went away during one of the recessions we have had since then.

The wire harness. It's made on a pin board, wrapped and then installed into the body. Many coaches to this day still string wire as they build... no thanks.

Steel plating inside the wall lamination to screw appliances into if no wall stud is available. Yes I know its thin metal, but at least it's spreading out the load in the wall to keep that refer and microwave from hitting me in the back of the head.

Aluminum extrusions made in house. I can still shake my 20,000lb coach with my screen door, even after 20 years. Looking at the new units I can see they have really gone fancy with the extrusions.

Now, I am not saying that Winnebago is the best coach, that is obviously just an opinion, but it might be the best true manufacturer.

My other choice that I considered was a late 90's American Coach. Those guys were building them right and I love me a Spartan Chassis with IFS, but for what I paid for my Vectra on a freightliner with air ride and air brakes and a fiberglass roof I could not go wrong. The little 12 valve cranks me down the road and gave me 11.2 on the way down to Fl from Indy last week and 10.5 on the way home with the genny running the AC and me running up to 75 mph a bit too often.

Just my personal .02
Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great report from an insider. Good information and done well.

Thanks much,
TeJay
Old 06-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I think just being in a motorhome is safer than a car. Everybody else on the road knows to stay away from us. We are, after all, old people that can't see hear or drive-and, we do not know where we are going or what we are doing.

PS-when did you last see an RV collision with another vehicle?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I think just being in a motorhome is safer than a car. Everybody else on the road knows to stay away from us. We are, after all, old people that can't see hear or drive-and, we do not know where we are going or what we are doing.

PS-when did you last see an RV collision with another vehicle?

Except for the dummies that don't know how to enter a freeway.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #37

Itasca

I think that I bought one that had been dropped. Bad rattle in upper right windshield area when hitting road bumps. Anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Lars View Post
I think that I bought one that had been dropped. Bad rattle in upper right windshield area when hitting road bumps. Anyone else had this issue?
Probably. It's just very hard to isolate which of the couple dozen rattles is coming from the upper right windshield. 2004 Itasca Suncruiser. Shakes rattles and rolls.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Is it a rattle or a squeak?

Is there something loose in the compartment above? Wiring harness or ??

Sometimes difficult to tell where the rattle is coming from as they can transmit from other locations. Can someone else drive while you "check" out the location?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
My signature lists our coach. Fairly quiet inside. A little more insulation from the engine and floor would help. Not a lot of rattles that I can hear (some advantages about being old). Mileage is about 7.5 maybe more or less. Didn't buy if for the fuel economy.

After about $2,000 in mods it handles very well. Have not driven it in a hurricane/tornado and don't plan to. On good roads it's great. On marginal roads it's OK. Not an air ride but still OK.

We are happy and satisfied so far. If we ever buy another coach it will also be a WBGO. We do try to cherish every trip we take. At age 71+ one has to consider just how many more years we can continue. So far so good but that is not entirely in our hands.

TeJay

TeJay
Old 10-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
First

Good to have you join us. Now, tell us more about your coach. What is it is a good place to start. Winnebago has been making coaches of all flavors for a long time.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago