Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Winnebago/Itasca

I have been told that Winnebago is one of the only RVs that has a roll cage and it's construction so that if you had a rollover would be safer in that than any other RV is anyone know this to be true? And what are your thoughts on Winnebagos construction versus someone else's? I have also been told that the seatbelts are affixed to the frame or the chassis is that for all RVs or just Winnebago?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who told you that? Was it a salesperson trying to sell you a motorhome?

Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

No not really it was online research. But we've had a camping world salesman corroborate that what are your thoughts on safety Winnebago versus another coach? Specifically the roll cage/ construction ?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are all basically boxes on wheels. If you are that concerned you should be looking at Super "C"s. IMO I wouldn't trust a Camping World salesperson to tell me if it was day or night.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Winnebago has a "Super Structure"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

I have looked into super c but very expensive. How much more safety does the super structure add over the competitor?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not certain why you are buying a RV? Demolition derby?

Winnebago does a drop test of some of their models. They raise it on a crane upside down to about 10', if I recall, and drop it. I don't know if other manufactures do the same.

The seat belts have to meet DOT (or whatever) specs.

The goal of RVing is to stay on the pavement between the ditches, keep your rubber on the road and your roof in the air. Any deviation from these goals usually is not healthy.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember ......Weebles wobble but they won't fall down ....not Winnies

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd advise taking the factory tour up in Forest City Iowa. We did and ordered our coach from Lichtsinn Motors which is one mile from the factory. We picked up the MH and it had 40 miles on it when we started home. We do have a WBGO dealer in the area about 10 miles from us but we traded a TT and Lichtsinn Motors gave us a very good price both on the TT and the MH. It was close to 30% off MSRP.

Yes the WBGO has a steel cage. Not only that they will show you how they drop a WBGO/Itasca on its roof to prove at least in that test the roof won't collapse.

Also keep in mind that Winnebago (WBGO) and Itasca are identical in every detail except interior and exterior colors. This is also something that you can also do. We did it. We did not like the color of the leatherette material being used in the model we wanted. We were able to choose an Itasca color that was being used on that line for the same model year. You do have to pay a, "Deviation Fee" (in this case it was $300) for them to do it. We felt it was worth the extra $300 because we wanted a more leather looking brown color and not white so we did it. When you have to live with it you had better like it. Who wants to walk into your MH for the next 4,6,8 or 10 years and always say, Man I sure don't like the color of that material??" We know we didn't.
Also that leatherette material (Faux leather) is every bit as strong and more durable than real leather. We have two animals that are up and down on the couch with no scratches or issues at all. Nothing is going to last forever but it is some very tough stuff.

Just a little slow in getting my posts up. Sorry for some of the repeat information.

TeJay
Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't know what dropping a MH on its roof proves. There are other MHs out there that can standup to the same test.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had great luck with my first winny, spent some cold weather time in it and it performed quite well. I believe that the front driver area on wennebagos is a steel frame. The rest being aluminum.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #12

I do not know of any rv that starts to roll over that just lands on its roof. All that I know of have started on their sides. My question would be what type of side support does it have?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #13

Sort of sounds to me that Whitneyaa was just asking a good question about RV saftey... ANY extra saftey measures are a good thing in my book.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am sorry but I just don't see where any amount of steel can overcome the effect of all that glass in front of you. Jerichorick and TeJay have some good advice. Unlike mine. Have you considered a used Stryker vehicle? I hear the military is giving them away by the hundreds. Every police dept. needs two or three. Why not the general public?

Tags
winnebago