Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winnebago Vinyl Roof Separated

About 20 feet of my Adventurer 33V vinyl roof on drivers side came loose exposing underneath. Started at front where roof and a front shell meets and continues to a foot past slideout. Traveling through Ohio on my way to Mackinaw City, MI during past Sunday's (June 8) storm (winds and heavy rain) may have been culprit. Didn't notice problem until arrival in Michigan. I pulled the vinyl down (couldn't get back fully into slot) so I removed a few screws from a rail underneath and put through the vinyl and back into the original screw hole. Then used filament tape and butyl tape to get me back the 850 miles. Held fine on my return trip but still need a more appropriate solution. Sealant on the rest of the roof looks flaky and brittle.

I'm handy with tools so my questions are (1) HOW CAN I GET THE VINYL ROOF BACK INTO ITS CORRECT POSITION, (2) WHAT SEALANT SHOULD I USE TO HOLD IN-PLACE, and (3) DO I NEED TO REMOVE MY GUTTER RAIL?

Any help or advice (do it myself or take to a repair shop) will be greatly appreciated.

I checked forum and found 2007 discussion but looking for current advise.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

You do not mention the age of your coach ? what does the rest of the roof look like ? their is a procedure to glue these roofs down and then attach the drip rail. Sounds like you are willing to tackle the job, just be sure to have the correct products to do the job.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

If you head over to the Winnebago web site under the resources tab you can enter your year and model. That will bring up tons of diagrams and listings for you specific motorhome. If you look I believe you will find a sealant call out sheet that will tell exactly what to use. There is also a diagram of the roof to sidewall joint available there.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile

djbmsu - 2005. Roof in great shape. I installed Winegard 4000 in-motion satellite dish a few weeks back.

Kazoo Tom - going to the website now so I can research. Thanks for the direction!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your roof is not vinyl. It s a thin sheet of fiberglass bonded to a thin sheet of luan. Below is a cross section of the roof edge that may be helpful. On the Wiinegbgo web site you can download a sealnt call out sheet for your year and model.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay L - I knew the roof was fiberglass but must have a senior moment! Thanks for the pics - will be helpful.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Clay L - I knew the roof was fiberglass but must have a senior moment! Thanks for the pics - will be helpful." I have those from time to time myself ! I forgot I had this. It in Winnebago info on diy repair. http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...%20Sealing.pdf
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
It can be slid back into the slot (see Clay's diagram) but unlikely you will be able to do it while on top of the roof. Some sort of scaffolding would be ideal to allow you to get close. You will need some help to work it in. Make sure the slot is clear of old caulk. Frankly it might be easier to get a Winne dealer (or the factory) to put it back. My worry would be that rain or high winds might push it further out. I hope it is not torn as that will be another PIA to deal with.
I have re-caulked a previous Winne/Itasca we had and while it was not a hard job to apply the caulk, cleaning and preparing it was aggravating (moving the ladder and up and down) When I got finished I decided I never wanted to EVER do that again so I went back and taped the joints with Eternabond. The Ebond stuck like it was welded there and I am confident that whomever has that coach now has had no wall/roof seam leaks.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fiberglass Roof Repair

Completed repair of the roof that had separated! First had to remove the nylon filament tape and butyl tape I used to seal the roof for our trip home from Mackinaw City, MI. Used Turtle Wax gum and adhesive remover to get most of the nylon filament tape off. A steel wire brush cleared any remaining 'stuff'. Used Henry 212 thermoplastic sealant to hold roofing to sidewall. Removed the remaining sealant (original?) on both sides of the roof - most was still holding to the fiberglass roof but NOT the aluminum rail in the sidewall. I also purchased a 6 foot long, 71 inch high (max) scaffolding from Home Depot - a lifesaver! I have 50 feet of EternaBond just in case!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you were able to fix it. Good job!

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, winnebago