Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Vista 30T slide out problem

We own a 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T. It has the Lippert slide out and leveling systems installed. We are having problems with both systems.

The passenger side slide out will start to extend for about 4 inches, then binds on one side and tries to turn sideways, stopping the extension. Then when trying to retract it the slide will bind on the other side. Someone must push hard on the side that binds while another operates the control switch. After several attempts the room was finally retracted.

The leveling system does not work properly in Automatic mode. Almost always the right rear jack will initially extend and ground, along with all the other ones. Then when the final leveling starts the right rear will never extend any further. All jacks extend and the coach can be leveled in the manual mode.

has anyone else had these problems??? Sure wish Winnebago had stayed with the HWH system that were on previous models.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Time to go back to the dealership. And, call Winnebago first. New rig, yes? If they can't fix it in one trip, tell them to take it back.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
qcable,
We also have the same unit. So far we have not had and trouble with the slides. They all go in and out with only one issue and I've brought this to the attention of our local dealer. Occasionally I will see a small pile of metal shavings on the floor only on the right side of the passenger slide. The system is basically a rack & pinion. The toothed strips bolted to the sides of the slides are the racks and the pinion is the gear on each motor.

They checked the wear pattern on the racks and saw nothing unusual. He said if I see the metal shaving again to take some pictures and they will document that we let them know so we should be covered by the warranty.

As far as the automatic levelers the first time we used it at home in the drive I had some concerns. My drive has about a 2-1/2" slope side to side. When I did the automatic level it lifted all four wheels off the ground. If I did it manually it would only lift the drivers wheel off the ground. That made no sense to me so I started doing them manually and have since that time.

I ground the fronts, then ground the rears. Once all four are on the ground then I'll lift which ever set of jacks needs raising.

If you are not familiar with these systems it is very important to not lift ONE jack. That will twist the frame and it has been known to actually pop out a windshield. The systems will always lift in pairs. Two fronts, two rears, or two on the low side.

We went into a remote CG once which had a very bumpy and rutted road. I drove slow. Later on that day one of my friends asked me how long the windshield had been broken. I said that it wasn't. Well the drivers side was. It looked like somebody had hit it with a baseball bat. The only thing that could have done it was tweaking the frame. The CG was actually on a fly river in AR and was not well attended and there were no teenagers playing ball either.

There's one more issue with the jacks. When in the driveway at home the first time we lowered the jacks automatically the coach came down in jerks. It's was not smooth at all. It jerked from side to side and scared me. I thought something was going to break. There was no air in the system but I talked to the tech at the dealer. Here was his thought and I think he's close to being correct.

The jacks are tilted slightly in at the top and out at the bottom. His thought was if you put the jacks down on a rough surface when they come down they have to slide sideways and maybe that action was binding the jacks so they came down in jerks instead of smoothly. He suggested that I use a wooden board under each jack pad so they could more easily slide if they needed to. I tried it and it seemed to work.

I do lift in the manual mode but lower in the automatic mode. Most of the time we lift on dirt in CG's so the sliding issue isn't a problem. Its just at the house that we have that problem.

This is just a guess but there may be some learning with that system. I'm thinking that the computer may learn as you lift. I tried to use the automatic system again on the drive at home and it seemed to do a better job. When we get home from FL at the end of the month I think I'll try it again. I'll let you know if it's better at leveling without getting all 4 wheels off the ground.

TeJay
Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I always use pieces of 2X10 under the jack pads. I also use the auto mode to retract the jacks. They seem to be jerky when retracting, as your's. I have decided to use the manual mode; however, the slide problem must be fixed. I intend to try another dealer and if he can't fix it then I guess a trip back to Forest City will be next. We live in Alaska and are currently in Georgia just roaming around the lower 48 before heading back home.

Thanks again.
quinton
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Maybe not too far fetched to go up to the factory if you have the time on your way home.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
qcable,

I think heading back to the factory would be a good idea. If we continue to have any problems with the slides we will do the same. If you do head back to the factory I'd call customer service and make an appointment. We did the tour and bought from the dealer there in FC. There are a lot of coaches that make the trip to the factory for service. They have a place to stay right outside the factory and there is a nice CG right next to the dealership less than a mile from the factory. I think the name of the city CG is Pamel Park or something like that. The park was also cheap. I think they just had envelopes and you could put in what ever you wanted to. When you come in off the expressway , which is about 15 miles, the WBGO dealer is on the right and you'll turn left to head towards the factory. The CG is on your left just after you make the turn. The town is pretty small so you won't get lost.

TeJay
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We ordered our unit from the dealer in Forest City and when we picked it up we stayed there in their camping area for a couple of days. While there we also took the Winnebago tour and were quite impressed with their operation.

I just made an appointment with a dealer for Thursday. If they can't fix my problems the I intend to make an appointment with the factory.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

We have purchased a new 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T in mid December 2014, which has been plagued with leveler and slide problems. Dealer has had the coach in and out of their shop numerous back to back times to sort out the various issues, probably 5 of the 8 weeks we have owned her.

Many of the issues revolved around identifying source of various loud noises coming from the front driver side slide out while coach is in motion. Excessive in motion noises were coming from under driver seat which turned out to be a loose shock mount. The slide has continued to have issue when extending slide as it has on several occasions teetered. When this begins to occur, we immediatly stop and bring slide back in and restart the extending process all over again.

Another thing we notice is the leveling system gooing into an error when extending on flat concrete pad. Rig is back at a dealer now, this time awaiting new parts from factory to repair the leaks now found in leveling system.

I understand the leveling system and slide out are both products from the same company, and seems this is a known issue with Winnebago. Just wish we had know before buying the Vista 30T
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
2015RV,
I'll assume that you read my post #3 which goes over both of these issues. I do not find it a problem to level manually. Just because somebody designed an automatic system does not mean that they are without issues. If the system is not the greatest then I will level manually. As I stated in post #3 I did level automatically but found that it lifted the wheels higher than would happen if I did it manually. For me it's no big deal. Do I wish they worked as designed automatically well yes. If they don't I'll modify and adjust either the system or my attitude. Hey it beats the heck out of hand cranking some jacks up and down.

As far as the slides here's an update. Before our warranty ran out as stated in my post we kept finding some small piles of aluminum shavings under the slide when we retracted it. Here's what the dealer did.

First they had to measure the current needed to bring the slide in and out. The higher the current draw the more work the motor is doing. There is a range of acceptable current draw. If it's outside the range then something is binding.
Secondly, they had to do several measurements as prescribed my WBGO. If the unit is outside the parameters then the unit was installed incorrectly.
Thrid, they checked the roller wear pattern on the underside of the slide. Mine was wearing uneven which indicated that something was misaligned.
After all was said and done WBGO authorized replacing the slide mechanism. When they took it apart they found several (they didn't tell me how many) aluminum screws not screwed in but just floating around somewhere around the mechanism. That's where the shaving were coming from but the screws were probably also causing some misalignment.

As you can tell there is a process that WBGO uses to authorize and repair any of the slide issues. No I don't like the jack or the slide company that they are currently using (Lippert). They used to use HWH. Lippert is a large manufacturer of TT and MH parts. They will have, as with any company problems but I have been pleased with the response we got from WBGO. We also have to live with who WBGO chooses to buy some of the item that they don't manufacturer.

Your loose shock mount has been discussed on these forums. That is a Ford Chassis issue and it has been mentioned that Ford is closing down the current plant and moving it. It has been said that some of the line workers are upset with this and there may be some things going on with the line. Loose shock mounts have been reported as well as several overtightened front axle (wheel bearing) nuts causing overheated and ruined bearings.

I have read NOTHING nor am I suggesting that it was caused by disgruntled workers. It was also reported that Ford would probably not admit it if it were true. They have been in this business for a long, long time and have had these problems before. They'll just weather the storm, fix the problems and move on. They do have to keep in mind the bottom line.

The Vista 30T is a great unit. There are just the two of us and the Dog so it suits us just fine. We love everything about it and are happy that we made the choice. The engine and drive line are superb. The amount of engine and road noise is good but it could be better. We can talk without straining as we travel. On our first F-53 in 1999 I had to insulate the doghouse so we could talk. I've gotten the R&H (ride & handling) close to as good as it can get. I've got a couple more things to do (new steering shock & some front air bags or Sumo Springs). As of today we are happy campers.

Hang in there, be patient and it will get better. If you have any other specific questions just send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Are you happy with your dealer and how they are dealing with the repairs???? WBGO might recommend another dealer if you check with CS.

TeJay
Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

When I press the switch to open or close my electrical slide out the slide starts out and moves a short distance and stops. . While holding the switch down it moves again do a short distance or the all way out. The same thing happens when I hold the switch down to close it. Any help
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We can't answer any questions unless we know: coach: make, year, model, engine, chassis. Put that info as part of your signature and it will always be there. Check out mine at the bottom.

TeJay

Tags
slide, slide out, winnebago