Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Winter Advice

This will be my first winter storing my diesel pusher (350 Cat). I live in Ottawa. Winter here gets cold in late Dec and goes till late Feb. I will be pulling the MH out of its winter nap at the end of Feb to head off to Florida for a cruise followed by a couple weeks of camping. Timeline to get to FLA without missing the cruise will be tight so hoping to do things right in the fall so everything works in Feb.

I am looking for advice on what to do to ensure no surprises when it's time to go. Should I start it every once in a while, should I pull the batteries and store them. Cold weather starting advice. Etc.

mar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I would change the engine oil and all the filters before I put it to sleep. Make sure your diesel has the proper additives for cold weather. I have taken batteries inside out of the cold for warmer storage. If I do a leave a battery in a vehicle in the winter months, I make sure it is fully charged, and use a trickle charger to keep it that way.

mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
I would just go to Florida in November. Problem solved.
John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Fill the fuel tank, add conditioner....pull the batteries put on trickle charge, or keep rig plugged in.....You are not storing for long, you should have no problem...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If your batteries are charged up, just disconnect them for the winter. Unless you can drive the RV long enough to get it up to operating temperature, letting it sit is the better choice. Do make sure the diesel tank is full and treatments to prevent algae growth and gelling gets added. If the engine has a block heater, either have enough extension cord to plug it in the night before you plan to use it. It would be good to exercise the generator once or twice during storage. It should be run for an hour under some load. A couple of space heaters should be enough, plus the converter/charger to top up batteries.

This past winter I left my RV in a storage lot in early Dec. and spent time out of the country. I returned in March and it started right up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
It is best not to start the engine unless you have time to drive your MH for 30 minutes or more. If the oil is does not reach normal operating temperature, it cannot vaporize any condensation/moisture in the crankcase. Moisture in the crankcase causes an acidic condition that is destructive to an engine internally.
If you leave your MH plugged in, the battery charger should keep all the batteries fully charged, and thus in no risk of freezing or cold weather damage. OTOH, if you cannot keep a maintenance charge into the batteries, it would be prudent to remove the battery cables to prevent discharging while in storage. A charged battery will not be damaged by freezing temperatures.
Everything I've said, and so very much more may be gleaned from reading a number of these articles: Winterizing an RV

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, winter