Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Winter fuel

A friend of mine says his coach does not get the same mileage with winter diesel fuel compared to summer diesel. He says about 1 mile per gallon less. I don't run my coach much in the winter to compare. So do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

It is true. Some mix #1 with#2 fuels to prevent gelling. Less btu in #1.
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

True
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
#1 is much thinner blend. Kerosene
Not sure which is better gas mileage though
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
According to Exxon, the difference between Diesel #1 and Diesel #2 less than 5%. (Diesel #1 is almost all kerosene) A winter blend would only be a percentage of #1 added to #2, so the energy difference is more like 2~3%. Lower fuel mileage in winter is more a factor of engine cooling, wind, road conditions, etc., NOT the difference in fuel types.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
According to Exxon, the difference between Diesel #1 and Diesel #2 less than 5%. (Diesel #1 is almost all kerosene) A winter blend would only be a percentage of #1 added to #2, so the energy difference is more like 2~3%. Lower fuel mileage in winter is more a factor of engine cooling, wind, road conditions, etc., NOT the difference in fuel types.
I agree with this. I have done a lot of summer vs winter driving and the difference in mileage is not enough to measure
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
A friend of mine says his coach does not get the same mileage with winter diesel fuel compared to summer diesel. He says about 1 mile per gallon less. I don't run my coach much in the winter to compare. So do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks
Yes, there is going to be a performance difference. Normal blend diesel fuel has problems below 20F. The fuel's wax seperates and has problems passing through fuel filters. It's termed "gelling" but it's really not gelling in the literal sense. It's simply seperating and going to plug your fuel filters. To compensate for this the manufacturers use Napthalene additives to help the fuel stay together at much lower temperatures. The side affect to this is the reduction in Cetane levels in the fuel. Cetane is to diesel as Octane is to gasoline. Usual Cetane blends in the Summer are between 40 and 45. In Winter blends this can drop to as much 25%. Therefore it takes more fuel to do the same amount of work as compared to a higher Cetane fuel. You can get back some of the mileage by using Cetane boosters/additvies, but they're expensive to treat 100+ gallons and honestly, you'd have to do a lot of driving during winter blend months to see a cost offset.

Tags
fuel, winter