Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Winter living needs

My DW and I have decided to try to winter-over on the Oregon coast, about 10 miles inland.
This should be a challange but might be fun.
What can others, that have taken this project on, tell us to be ready for and what to take to be warm and dry?
We have a 34 foot motorhome, I'm told was built for and sold in Alaska, don't know how true this is, or even if the manufacturers have a special build.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

I saw some videos on you tube by rv geeks, they seemed to have a handle on it...

Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, shouldn't be much more problem than in Vancouver!

Maybe more rain and fog, but the temps should be milder too but that depends on how high up you go too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
My DW and I have decided to try to winter-over on the Oregon coast, about 10 miles inland.
This should be a challange but might be fun.
What can others, that have taken this project on, tell us to be ready for and what to take to be warm and dry?
We have a 34 foot motorhome, I'm told was built for and sold in Alaska, don't know how true this is, or even if the manufacturers have a special build.
My guess is that you should not have a problem so near the Oregon coast line.

As to Alaska? Having spent decades there, it depends on where you are - I've seen -82F on the thermometer in the interior, and even -35F along the coastline south of Anchorage. I would not spend the winter in a motorhome in Alaska. But that's just me....
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've seen -35 degrees at our place in Wisconsin just about every year, and I wouldn't winter in Wisconsin OR Alaska. Or eastern Montana, or North Dakota- and yet, folks are doing it.

I like spending the winter in Corpus Christi . but that's just me

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

lemme think here for a minute ......Winter in Alaska or say .........Florida ? in a motorhome ?..........
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

A cold weather package usually consists of thermal pane windows and heated tanks. Where you will be staying should not get much below freezing if that.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lived in Lincoln City for 3 years and enjoyed the bit warmer climate than the Willamette valley in the Salem area. It is also cooler there in the summer, as you probably suspected and many times it can be 65 degrees when it is 95 in the valley. Except when the major winter storms blow in, it's not really that bad. Yes, there is fog and more rain. but if your inland just a bit you will miss a lot of the fog that just stays right on the beach or a few blocks east of it. But Iv'e seen many nice, nice days from September through March when it is terrible in the valley. Have fun and enjoy your time.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Mr_D is right, not a lot different.... Winds can be fierce, and it can rain without mercy. Generally, the temps are nice all through the winter. If you get in a really serious storm, get out from under trees and unplug from the pedestal till it blows over, as power outages can happen. It's beautiful and fantastic, and I've done it a few times. Central and southern are the mildest. Take a rain coat and some crab rings. Go for it, and have fun!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Why would you want to subject yourself to winter when you can drive to warmer sunny places in a few days for the whole winter.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Talking The title had me

confused there for a second.
I suppose you have your reasons for wanting to over winter in the North West and they are none of my business.

For me I'll winter in Mexico and enjoy some wonderful weather, great friends, lots to do. The sunshine keeps me happy YMMV
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
Why would you want to subject yourself to winter when you can drive to warmer sunny places in a few days for the whole winter.
Is that a serious question???

Gee, let me think.... Have you ever been in the Pacific Northwest in the winter? Lots of Oregonians like to ski (takes snow), mountain climb (takes snow), snow hiking and snowshoeing (snow), go to the coast for winter storm watching (wind, rain, raging surf), crabbing at the coast (winter time is best), you get the idea.... Me? I'm a steelheader, that's a guy who chases 10 pound rainbow trout that migrate back from the ocean and into Oregon streams - and they migrate when? Yep, December through March. Dead of winter.

So, let's do the obvious turn-around: Why would you subject yourself to heat and unrelenting sunshine when you could skip all that and fish for steelhead? Why would you miss out on all my adventures up north? Could it be because the sunshine is what you enjoy most? Hey now, maybe that's the answer to your question. Eh? It might be all about what EACH of us enjoys. Yes, I am an Oregonian. I've done the Arizona thing plenty, and RV'd all over Baja. But, I like the snow, so some years I stay in Oregon for the winter. Like I've said before, different strokes......
Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
laj

Hey, could you tone it down a little. Sometimes I already have to take my own rock to stand on when the fishing is hot on the coastal streams. Lmao
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Hey, could you tone it down a little. Sometimes I already have to take my own rock to stand on when the fishing is hot on the coastal streams. Lmao
I know. Got a rock myself. Got a little carried away....