Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Winter Parking Help!!

Hey everyone. We are about 10 days out from becoming RV owners. We are buying a 35ft Class A.

We are actively working on figuring out what we are going to do long term to park the RV on our property. Until then we are thinking of parking it on the lawn, or the snow covered frozen tundra of Minnesota. Our plan for the rest of this winter is to park the RV on the lawn and buy a cover for it. When we start to thaw out we are going to move it off of the lawn and hopefully our new parking arrangements will be in the works.

My question is with the ground frozen and 3 inches of snow am I ok just parking it as is or should I do something else?

A few thoughts:
- Put down some protector surface and store the RV on the Jacks as least to take pressure off the tires.
- Buy some type of padding to put under the tires and leave it as that
- Some other idea I have not thought of.

Thanks for your help in this matter as we need to figure this out quick.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I parked mine on the lawn here in upstate NY I rolled the tires up on 2X12 planks. One this would keep the tires out of the mud if it thawed and two if it thawed the weight would be distributed and not leave ruts in my lawn. With it being outside I would leave the jacks up but people have different opinions on that.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

Sounds like your storage places didn't work out? Friend of mine who owns a rv repair business always advised against a rv cover. Most of the rv's I see wintering outside on peoples property don't have covers. I have never seen any on jacks either come to think of it.
Seems most people winterize em park em and forget em until spring.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with HerbZilla about parking on blocks for the weight distribution. One of my concerns would be with the your zoning ordinances, etc. In the city I live, you cannot park a RV on you lawn, you have to have a pad of concrete, crushed rocked, etc. and 4" deep the entire length of your RV. My driveway is for parking my RV is over 70' long but when my son bought a 5th. wheel and I had a 5th. wheel I just back mine onto the grass (about 6') just to make our campers more leveler. My good neighbor promptly caused the local inspection department to complain, they gave me 24 hours to correct this situation. So on a cold February day with a 1-1/2' of snow on the ground and snow drifts of 3' deep I had the opportunity of moving both 5th. wheels so I could move mine ahead 6-1/2' a have it parked on my concrete slab. My son left for North Dakota less than a month later to work in the oil fields. Needless to say I do not talk to my "Richard Head" neighbor anymore but I was in compliance with the city ordinance. Cover your bases. Enjoy your camper! Here is a pic. of my situation. No harm, no foul really!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1747.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	82917  
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Up North about the RV cover. Never used one myself. Also in the Winnebago Manual it says they will void the paint warranty if you cover it. Check in yours if they say that too for the Forza.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Put plywood under the tires and put the jacks down...that's what they are for. I don't like covers, covered storage is much better, especially if you have power.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Sounds like your storage places didn't work out? Friend of mine who owns a rv repair business always advised against a rv cover. Most of the rv's I see wintering outside on peoples property don't have covers. I have never seen any on jacks either come to think of it.
Seems most people winterize em park em and forget em until spring.
I have had some luck finding a few spots including your own personal indoor storage unit for RVs. However the DW does not want to pay for this. She came up with the idea of just parking the "bus" on the lawn since it is frozen until we get our parking situation figured out. That is why I am trying to find out what is the best approach to leaving it outside on the frozen tundra.

I would agree I have not seen anyone recommend a cover. I told the DW that the are built to be outside and to not mess with the paint and other issues by putting a cover on them. Just cover the tires.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Put plywood under the tires and put the jacks down...that's what they are for. I don't like covers, covered storage is much better, especially if you have power.
Cat320 - Would you raise the coach to the point that the tires are still touching but not taking much load?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If the tires are aired up there is no reason for the jacks to be down. The only time my jacks come down is while camping. If you look at storage area's you will not see one in a hundred with jacks down. No cover and some type of wood to keep the RV afloat during a thaw. I hope you have it well winterized.

LEN
Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

I would just max the air pressure in the tires with wood underneath and not worry about jacking it, but you can put stabilizers down if you wish. Use rodent repellent (spearmint oil on cotton balls), cover tires, maybe traps at base or on top of tires.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plywood under tires optional, Put wood blocks under the jacks though.
Here is why

IF you go to move it while ground is frozen the jacks may freeze to the ground, but likely not to the blocks.. Then once you move off site the blocks (Which are frozen to the ground) can be gently encouraged to move freely with the aid of an eight pound hammer (Sledge). Worked for me.

I parked on gravel, but snow covered or not, makes no difference.

now days I park where snow is generally..... Not (though it did hit 28 last night).
Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallTom View Post
Cat320 - Would you raise the coach to the point that the tires are still touching but not taking much load?
On my coach, don't know about yours, I dump the air, turn on the leveling system and press "auto" and it decides how high to take the coach and thus how much weight comes off the wheels. I guess I could do it manually, but have always done it with "auto."
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I would make sure the MH was winterized and just drive it onto the lawn and leave it as is (no boards, jacks up). Tires sitting on frozen grass will not hurt the grass and the frozen snow will not hurt the tires.

Once there was enough snow gone in the spring I would move it to dry ground before the lawn thawed.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I air up the tires to the max listed on the side wall and cover them. Park it on plywood large enough to accommodate the full width of the tires, and leave levelers up. No cover, and check the interior monthly for any leaks. I also use a mouse deterrent and a moisture absorbing bucket, such as damp rid. I also close all the blinds and remove the batteries. Forgot to mention winterizing it first.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter