Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Easier does not mean better

Back it in and protect the entire roof

The only downside to backing in, is if you need to work on the engine and it’s raining...... otherwise I see no reason to park how you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Also, if you back in you may get a little solar heat thru the windshield.
Thanks both, I am going to back it in next time I move it. I will see if some part of the drivers window lines up with the vertical beams to use as a guide.

I only have this storage since last April and notice the coach is much cooler in summer, before it was parked outside in the summer and in a barn in winter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I would back it in for the winter for sure. Placing blocks at the proper distance will give you reference for future storage. Unfortunately you would drive over the blocks to store in nose in during the summer.

I really like the idea of backing it in and then having a tarp for the opening. The blocks will give you a line as well as stopping you at the correct distance. Not as difficult as backing into a camping site. I would hang the tarp and then drive a couple tent pegs in to attach a ratchet/tarp strap or bungee cord to keep the tarp from abrading the finish on the front.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I would back it in for the winter for sure. Placing blocks at the proper distance will give you reference for future storage. Unfortunately you would drive over the blocks to store in nose in during the summer.

I really like the idea of backing it in and then having a tarp for the opening. The blocks will give you a line as well as stopping you at the correct distance. Not as difficult as backing into a camping site. I would hang the tarp and then drive a couple tent pegs in to attach a ratchet/tarp strap or bungee cord to keep the tarp from abrading the finish on the front.
Blocks are a great idea. I have some already at the storage.

I will ask the storage if I can put pegs in the ground.

One of the problem with backing in is the bay is fairly narrow, I once damaged a mirror reversing out.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #18

Have you checked clearance ?

In picture a/c shroud looks close to rafter. If space has slope,could get closer in rear.
Campasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campasaurus View Post
In picture a/c shroud looks close to rafter. If space has slope,could get closer in rear.
Well spotted. I will double check the height of the back before reversing in.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Back when I lived where it got really cold, my goal was always to have the engine the most protected part of any auto. So in this case I would park it just like you have it in the pictures.
BUT, that was on vehicles that I drove daily and needed to know they would start when I needed them to.
If the RV is going to be sitting for months, then backing it in might be better both for snow load on the roof and for easier access to the engine (well, under the hood - the engine is really under the doghouse inside) when it comes time to start it.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Back when I lived where it got really cold, my goal was always to have the engine the most protected part of any auto. So in this case I would park it just like you have it in the pictures.
BUT, that was on vehicles that I drove daily and needed to know they would start when I needed them to.
If the RV is going to be sitting for months, then backing it in might be better both for snow load on the roof and for easier access to the engine (well, under the hood - the engine is really under the doghouse inside) when it comes time to start it.
I hear you on the daily drivers. Here in Michigan we keep them in an attached charge which does not get much below 32 f on even the coldest days (-6f this week). Also have a remote start for when parked outside :-)

I like the idea of having it parked front out in case of an engine issue.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #22

Still have not had moved the coach due to snow. It was 44f yesterday and will be 50f today but raining all day. May try to move it after work.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #23

I will swim against the main stream on this one. I would park the front as far in as possible with the bumper to the wall. This way you are protecting the motor/cab from sun fade and blowing snow, the most valuable part of the vehicle. The other thought is if you need to work on the front of the vehicle, just tow it back 2-3 ft (it shouldn't be that often)
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I will swim against the main stream on this one. I would park the front as far in as possible with the bumper to the wall. This way you are protecting the motor/cab from sun fade and blowing snow, the most valuable part of the vehicle. The other thought is if you need to work on the front of the vehicle, just tow it back 2-3 ft (it shouldn't be that often)
That's definitely an idea.

I have it left away from the wall in case I need to get at the battery. I normally use the emergency start but once have had to jump it using a portable.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #25

I finally got to reverse it in today, a bit of chore but finally got it done.

It's going to snow again tomorrow so will see how much rests on the roof.

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_175705.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	188387   Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1515288207110.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	89.3 KB