Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Winter storage vs leaving my coach in the south

We're new RVers, just bought a 35' Class A diesel. We live in upstate NY where the winters can be pretty cold. We will be staying here until after Christmas then heading south for the rest of the winter. We're debating two options:
Should we take our coach south where it's warmer (Atlanta? Tampa? other?) in November and store it there, then drive our TOAD down to pick it up? or
Should we find heated storage or winterize it and store it here then drive it south?
There also may be several other options to consider.
We would appreciate any input.

Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Snyderwheels--I personally would not be able to abandon my coach for months at a time without checking in on it. If you have business or other reasons that would allow you regular visits to the south to check on it, I would think that could be a nice plan. But for me... I just need to check up on our rig.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have the time so we take off in Oct. We drive toad home for Dec. I have found indoor or very secure covered storage for the times we leave it behind. Rig has never been on salted roads yet.
2010 Dutch Star 4333
2009 Honda Accord- Brakemaster
what next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Snyderwheels--I personally would not be able to abandon my coach for months at a time without checking in on it. If you have business or other reasons that would allow you regular visits to the south to check on it, I would think that could be a nice plan. But for me... I just need to check up on our rig.
Same here, plus I always have a project or two going on. I would not want to leave it somewhere totally unattended. If it was me, I'd find some covered storage and winterize it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
There would be some advantage to taking it south and storing it there before winter. One is that you avoid the need to winterize and you also will have less concerns about winter road conditions. If you have a park that you plan to winter in, they may well have a storage area that they will provide for you at a more reasonable rate than would be the case if you didn't stay with them.
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can afford the heated storage close to home, I'd go that route. We can't afford that, and use the cost free parking here at our HOA. One of us checks on the RV at least daily. As our weather here is not that bad, generally late January to mid February, I'll pull the drain plug on the water heater if the forecast is bad, but normally, no more than drain all the lines.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
I'd be feeling guilty about the ride south - potentially coating the entire underside with salt. Even if it's not wet, there's plenty of salt dust blowing around on the highways. Most motor homes offer very little or no protection for such instances, and it's very difficult to rinse it completely.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
I store mine in North Carolina.

We use to live in the Charlotte area and still like to visit. Still have to winterize, but they have very little snow. I had to leave my coach in Ohio last year and the zero degree temperatures caused two problems. The plastic TV surround (40" Samsung) cracked in two places, and the dash board now has a crack in the middle (about 4" long). My wife still hasn't noticed the cracks in the TV and I'm not going to tell her. So, we take it down in November when the weather is still nice in NC, come back after a week or so then head back down after Christmas and continue to Florida. Works for us.

Revolution 40E

Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote

storage, winter