Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborita View Post
Quartzite looks neat. I'm assuming those tents r like a market thing.
The tent shown in the picture is a mere fly speck on the landscape. Multiply that by a few hundred, to get an idea of what's going on there! Quartzsite has to be the worlds largest flea market, not to mention other events like the January RV show etc.

Quartzsite hosts as many as 1,000,000 RVers every winter. As you drive along I-10 toward Quartzsite, you will start to observe groups of RV desert campers along the highway while your are still 15 km from town. And when driving the north/south highway, motorhomes represented 5 out of every 6 vehicles on the highway.

Rather than camping in the desert, we stayed at a large gravel parking lot just on the outside of town: $3 per night; and that gave us walking access to the miles of adjacent flea markets. Predictably, a lot of the flea market sites are RV oriented.

Heads up: Make sure you have a full tank of gas when you come into town; and also stocked up on all of the essentials you will need while you are there. A trip into the town centre, in the world's biggest traffic jamb, will take a couple hours to proceed a couple miles; and then the challenge of finding a place park when you get there.

You are really not an RVer until you have enjoyed at least one visit to Quartzsite.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #30

I can add a by-pass around Twin Falls, ID

Going westbound on I-84 take the “FIRST” Twin Falls/Kimberly exit #162? (can’t remember the exact #, but the exit has an RV park/dealer on the N/E corner and a truck stop on the S/W corner, this truck stop is the last fuel going this way until the towns of Hollister/Rogerson “limited fuel”, Jackpot “expensive fuel”, cross the Snake River (stop at the overlook and see the Snake River) go about 9 miles on Kimberly Rd. to the first stop light, Eastland Dr. On the N/W corner is the back side of the Eastland Shopping Center, on the S/E corner is a Cemetery/Crematory. Turn left (south) (industrial area) Check your trip mileage, go 2 miles (pass one stop sign) and turn right just before the farm house, go west thru 3 stop signs and about 10 miles and you will merge with # 93 going south. (Note- about ¼ mile after turning south on Eastland there is a Railroad underpass 13”9” clearance, I go under it with my 5W so should any other RV, Just a warning though if you have tight buns, if in doubt go farther west on Kimberly to Blue Lakes then go south 2 miles then right. More stop lights and traffic though)

X2 on the #93 to Ely then #6 about 20 miles to the junction with NV #318. Check your fuel! (like most mining towns Ely is built in a Valley so the main street is narrow and crooked, they have a Steam train ride/museum and a old Hotel downtown though done them both, if going thru I recommend taking the Truck route around Ely)

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #31

I fueled before we got there. Propane, fresh water, and dump is available 24 7. Do it in off hours. Weekends is the worst for traffic.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #32

Post #29 above

True, food market prices in Q are high, however from the Intersection of highway 95/Main St, if you go East a few blocks there are 2 small markets on the left (North) side of Main St. They both have an “old time butcher shop” inside. Most of the time they will have to hand cut some additional steaks to complete your order. They also grind their own ground chuck and the best of all is their own ground/spiced sausage. For the Sausage/Ground Chuck if you come late in the afternoon they will probably be “out” and you will have to wait till tomorrow when they grind some more, that way you know that it is fresh.

A NOT TO BE MISSED place to go is the 75,000 volume Travelers Oases Book Store a short distance farther east of the markets. Paul Winer the owner is a nudist (he wears a “G string”)! He is also a fantastic concert Pianist especially Boogey Wooge! Sometimes if he isn’t busy he will play the piano for you! He is also photo friendly, we have the front/back views of my wife and Paul together!
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I also carry a set of super z chains. Fits just single wheel of dual each side. Hope not to use them ever but for emergency they are available. Heavy duty bus chains
X2 - What he said! We stopped on I-5, in Washington State, on the level and pulled off to the side. We didn't know we were on about 4" of ice and there was no way we could move the rig. Yes, we had duals and good tread.

Fortunately, I had bought chains at Les Schwab. I was able to put them on the outside driving wheels without jacking up the rig. There were a half-dozen truckers standing around watching and learning. None of them had ever put chains on before. My experience in the Fire Department paid off again.

We kept the chains on until we were a few miles South of Portland, OR. I had to use them one other time when we were hunting and woke up to 3" of snow. Buy the chains, learn how to put them on, take them off and then clean and oil them for the next time.

Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We will be leaving at the latest Jan 1 heading to Tx to start with and then head over towards Az.
I am sure my over the road experience will come in handy. Although my MH dosen't weight anywhere near 80,000 pounds like the Semi did.
Quote:
Yes it is our 1st trip. Very excited. Hoping to b there for at least 2 monthes. Quartzite looks neat. I'm assuming those tents r like a market thing. All the tips & replies already make us feel we r traveling with a group. . Thanks guys
Change of plans: We are going to check out Quartzite first. We are going to leave right after Thanksgiving.
We are so excited also, our first long trip and first year as Snowbirds.
tell us, is it pretty much self-explanation? What about poisonous snakes, Scorpions, Spiders?

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
There is an option to the heavy metal chains called "SnowSocks". They were first approved in europe I believe in Norway. They are accepted now in Wa. State, Colorado and fast becoming the easy option to traction device requirement that is fast, light weight and take very little room. I bought a set for my car first and the a set for the motorhome. I have not had to use them yet but have installed to see just how long it would take. It took about 5 mins to install on the car. They will very unlikely damage a wheel well or fiberglass like regular or even cable chains.
Not cheap and can not be used on bare roads for any distance.
I have experienced 30 years in mountains with the National Ski Patrol and these are so much easier to pack for that occasional time when traction devices are required. Take a look at... Storefront Commerce Category
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Change of plans: We are going to check out Quartzite first. We are going to leave right after Thanksgiving.
We are so excited also, our first long trip and first year as Snowbirds.
tell us, is it pretty much self-explanation? What about poisonous snakes, Scorpions, Spiders?

Tim
It will be a bit colder (a relative to summer term) and the bad giys will either be in hibernation or looking for a spot. They will be moving slow, if you see any, so just steer clear.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Question:?

When you are driving in sub freezing temps, Should you have your inside heat on going down the road? Like a 5r or TT?

Even though the unit may be winterized, I am thinking about the flexing going on perhaps that might put added strain on plumbing for example.

Just curious.......
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #38

Quote:
All the input is great. We know 1 thing for sure is not to be in a hurry. When we get there-we get there.
That sentiment is worthy of a wall plaque!!

And not something that I readily admit to: while some manage to do it in 28 hours, it takes us a full five days to get from Toronto to the Florida Border!! Pulling off the road by 4 pm, we enjoy every day of our trip as part of our trip!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #39

I hurried through my working years. Now there is no schedule except for the weather. I'll get where I am going eventually.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Question:?

When you are driving in sub freezing temps, Should you have your inside heat on going down the road? Like a 5r or TT?...
I wouldn't think so since you have it winterized. I suppose if you had lots of freezable stuff inside it and it was REALLY cold it might the only reason to keep it running but only at a very low temp. However, if you are in it every night and get it warm, I doubt you will run into temps low enough to cause any problems.

Solution...keep going south!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #41

Kro1957, this is for you. We have travelled out of Alberta by motorhome in temperatures from -27C to -10C, three of those trips with no heat on. Dealers and other coach owners I've spoken to told me to turn on the furnace, even while travelling, so we did and boy what a difference. Can't think of any reason it would hurt a trailer.

ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, travel, advice