Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Winterize ?

We are leaving West Virginia in mid-November and making our way up to NY, about 2 hrs north of NYC where we will be staying until December 4th and then heading to Florida. We will not have hookups in NY. What's the best way to keep everything from freezing? We do have generator with propane power but don't want to use that all the time. Thank you very much!

Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps you could give us some details on the model of RV you have? That would determine whether you have a heated basement or not.

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G -> 06 Rubicon LJ
Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
Team 065 and 0232 "De Opresso Liber"
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I looked at your profile, a 37' Harney indicating it is an older coach.

You indicate you will not have full hookups but this usually implies no sewer. If you truely will not have any power then you will have to rely on your generator as primary and propane as secondary. Even if you used the propane you'd have to run the generator every 8 hours for ~1-2 hours to charge the batteries, maybe more depending on other usage.

First thing I would do is check all the seals on the basement doors to make sure they are tight. Also look at the front & rear chassis areas as manufacturers don't usually seal these areas good. Buy some spray foam to seal these areas.

I assume you don't have heat pumps in your AC units. If you do have them and the outside temps are above ~38F they will produce have, as it gets colder they quit working. If you decide not to use the AC units I'd put covers over them and seal the with venting to prevent air intrusion. If you are running a generator you could use small cube heaters in the coach.

I would buy a remote temp monitor and install in your wet bay. Usually a propane furnace will have ducting in the wet bay to keep it warm but it can still get cold enough to freeze thing. If you are running the generator you could put a small cube heater in the basement, I have bought a thermostatic plug that will turn the heat on at 38F and off at +55.

If you are going to be parked in 1 spot for a long time you could buy some bales of hay or straw and stack around the base of the RV, this will help keep the basement warm and prevent blowing winds.

In March of 2011 I moved to Northern Michigan, the UP, and lived in Wakefield. There was 2' of snow still on the ground and we got another 2' of snow in April. Temps would drop down into the signal digits sometimes at night, many days in the teen's. I had use of 2 20 amp outlets, that's all. I kept 1 cube heater in the basement and 1 heater in the LR. I would monitor the basement temps as above. Sometimes when I woke up it would be 30F in the bedroom. I survived but it wasn't fun >>> But I would do it again.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote