Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winterize ice maker & washing machine

Taking delivery of a new to us Fleetwood Expedition DP next week. It has an ice maker and a washer/dryer that I have no experience winterizing.

When winterizing our old Bounder, I used a small air compressor at low volume to clear the water lines then put antifreeze in the P-traps, seal conditioner in the toilet bowl and drained the water heater. Never had an issue in the 15 years we had the Bounder. The coldest winter here can be about 15° - 18° F and not really sustained for too long.

I don't foresee any problems continuing this method but thought I'd ask here because there's RVers here much smarter than me.

Will using a low volume air compressor work with the ice maker and washing machine rather than taking pipes apart & draining? Do I need to use antifreeze with each?
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

The ice maker in the Norcold refer has a shut-off valve under the sink. We never touch it. Now outside in the back of the refer is a valve with a hose fitting going to the ice maker. Disconnect that and make sure the line is empty. You can choose the method. The line going into the valve is the FW. Disconnect it an run your compressed air through it. Now you are done. Jayco, etc. do not recommend running antifreeze into the ice maker or the FW tank; only blow it outwith compressed air.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

Look up your model washer for winterization I typed in how winterize a splendid many models come right up .If you chose to use air on washing machine , cycle cold and hot a few times separately instead of warm. As you wouldn't be able to tell if one or the other is not opening and flowing . You would be also be splitting the available cfm from compressor.
Then cycle to spin final cycle to pump out left over water add a quart pink into tub ,cycle spin again to fill pump and discharge hose with pink.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excellent advice, thank you. Went to the dealer on Saturday to take a few measurements so we can change the front TV and a whole bunch of photos and learned they've already winterized the entire coach. Once we get it home next weekend, I'll be looking at both in detail..
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

You do not state your refrigerator brand, however here is the Norcold ice maker bulletin that pertains to the water solenoid: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf
It has 2 water connections, the inlet is on the side, the outlet to the ice maker is on the bottom, if both are not disconnected and water drained out, it will freeze. A replacement is ~ $50.
Splendide has winterizing procedure on their website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize