Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Exclamation Winterize or Freezorize

Hi guys! This will be my first winter in the motorhome, I'm not quite lucky enough to travel away from the cold yet, so I'm going to tough it out.

I plan on insulating the windows and all that jazz, I have an awesome space heater and my furnace runs like a champ... But I've decided to winterize my plumbing systems. I have running water and bathing rooms where I am parked and would rather avoid any complications because of the cold weather.

I have read the owners manual on my Winnebago Brave and theres a paragraph within that kind of confused me (listed at the bottom of this post.)

1. Do I have to do a "blow out," or can I empty all the tanks, turn on the water heater diverter, and run the RV antifreeze through the lines until it comes out the sinks and toilet?

2. I would like to keep using my fridge - and I need to insulate from the outside, correct? Any suggestions on what to use?

3. Any other suggestions / Comments gladly welcomed. Thanks for helping a newbie out guys

Cheers

Paragraph:
As an alternative to totally draining
the plumbing system, you may winter-
ize tanks and lines by pumping non-
toxic RV antifreeze through the sys-
tem. This product is available from
your dealer and from most RV supply
stores. Follow directions on the con-
tainer to determine the correct
amount to use for your coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyYears View Post
Hi guys! This will be my first winter in the motorhome, I'm not quite lucky enough to travel away from the cold yet, so I'm going to tough it out.

I plan on insulating the windows and all that jazz, I have an awesome space heater and my furnace runs like a champ... But I've decided to winterize my plumbing systems. I have running water and bathing rooms where I am parked and would rather avoid any complications because of the cold weather.

I have read the owners manual on my Winnebago Brave and theres a paragraph within that kind of confused me (listed at the bottom of this post.)

1. Do I have to do a "blow out," or can I empty all the tanks, turn on the water heater diverter, and run the RV antifreeze through the lines until it comes out the sinks and toilet?

2. I would like to keep using my fridge - and I need to insulate from the outside, correct? Any suggestions on what to use?

3. Any other suggestions / Comments gladly welcomed. Thanks for helping a newbie out guys

Cheers

Paragraph:
As an alternative to totally draining
the plumbing system, you may winter-
ize tanks and lines by pumping non-
toxic RV antifreeze through the sys-
tem. This product is available from
your dealer and from most RV supply
stores. Follow directions on the con-
tainer to determine the correct
amount to use for your coach.
Yes, you can just empty the tanks and put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and not blow out the lines.

However, there is a little kit that you can put into the inlet line at the water pump that allows you to pump directly from the gallon antifreeze bottles. Works pretty slick. It is not a bad idea to drain the water through the low point drains if you have them before you put the antifreeze through the system. Remember to do each spigot one at a time starting at the closest one to the pump and going downstream. AND when you are all done leave the spigots open and low point drains for awhile to get all the liquid out of the system.

I don't no nuting about the frig tho, maybe someone will chime in
Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Tasha!

Re: #1: Blowing out or antifreeze is a one or the other choice (no need to do both). Which is done is usually the owners preference. I suspect the antifreeze is a somewhat better option - especially if in an area with long, hard freezes. There are a couple of tricks to antifreeze. One is that you do not put the stuff in your fresh water tank. Instead, you disconnect your water pump and pump right out of the jug - thru your lines. The other(s) can vary depending on whether you have an ice maker and/or wash machine. In either case, best to follow the manufacturer recommendations on those.

Re. #2: I can't think of a reason that you could not continue to use your fridge/freezer (but not ice maker) on either electric or LP. I don't think any additional insulation is necessary.

In what part of the country are you located? Somewhere where it is below freezing for long periods?

Funny - my room mate is also named Buddy! (a cat)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi Tasha!

Re: #1: Blowing out or antifreeze is a one or the other choice (no need to do both). Which is done is usually the owners preference. I suspect the antifreeze is a somewhat better option - especially if in an area with long, hard freezes. There are a couple of tricks to antifreeze. One is that you do not put the stuff in your fresh water tank. Instead, you disconnect your water pump and pump right out of the jug - thru your lines. The other(s) can vary depending on whether you have an ice maker and/or wash machine. In either case, best to follow the manufacturer 2:recommendations on those.

Re. #2: I can't think of a reason that you could not continue to use your fridge/freezer (but not ice maker) on either electric or LP. I don't think any additional insulation is necessary.

In what part of the country are you located? Somewhere where it is below freezing for long periods?

Funny - my room mate is also named Buddy! (a cat)
Aw ok! Thanks for clarifying, that makes a whole lot more sense haha. I am in Northern CO - it gets decently cold and below freezing some / most nights of the winter but will frequently be above freezing during the days.

Buddies are the best Buddies to have!! Haha (meow or woof!)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GypsyYears,

I have a 2004 Itasca, so probably quite like yours. Do you have your manuals? If not, I can give you a website that you can get them from or at least view them. It will show you if you have a syphon hose for your winterizing. It will make it much easier.

RV Antifreeze is as follows. At a RV store usually around $5 a gallon. At Menard's. Home Depot, usually around $4 a gallon. Walmart, $3 a gallon.

They instruct to also pour some in your drains and toilet to keep those areas from freezing. My instructions say to do farthest faucet first, then go to closest to faucet to syphon. Don't forget your outside shower hose too.

Also make sure you drain your water heater or it will freeze. Just let e know if you want the website that will show you everything about your rig including if you want to replace curtains.

This is our first year to winterize too. A good friend showed us what to do and we feel we can handle it just fine. Sure don't want any broken pipes.

Good luck. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
GypsyYears,

I have a 2004 Itasca, so probably quite like yours. Do you have your manuals? If not, I can give you a website that you can get them from or at least view them. It will show you if you have a syphon hose for your winterizing. It will make it much easier.

RV Antifreeze is as follows. At a RV store usually around $5 a gallon. At Menard's. Home Depot, usually around $4 a gallon. Walmart, $3 a gallon.

They instruct to also pour some in your drains and toilet to keep those areas from freezing. My instructions say to do farthest faucet first, then go to closest to faucet to syphon. Don't forget your outside shower hose too.

Also make sure you drain your water heater or it will freeze. Just let e know if you want the website that will show you everything about your rig including if you want to replace curtains.

This is our first year to winterize too. A good friend showed us what to do and we feel we can handle it just fine. Sure don't want any broken pipes.

Good luck. Lynne
Hi Lynne!

Thanks for your advice - I have looked at the manual... I was just confused on some of the wording, which you all have clarified.

I will definitely make sure to drain the water heater.

Thanks! Happy camping

Tags
winter