Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

winterizing AGAIN

just watched the weather forecast, down into the 20's again for the next two nights. since i have just now fixed all the leaks from the previous owners I guess I will have to winterize again. Is there a better way to protect our coach??
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Drive further south!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
In the fall we like to camp as late as possible in the season (late Oct to Thanksgiving weekend) here in Northern Ohio. I use 25 /26 degrees as my breaking point. If I know the temperature is only going to go that low for a few hours with a warmer day following, I might just put a little ceramic heater on a low setting that night and open some cabinet doors. But if the next day or two is only going to get to the low 30's, then the unit will have to at least be blown out.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Turn your furnace on to the lowest setting(if you are not staying in it) and put a cube heater in the basement in the water bay, between the furnace and the heater in the basement you should be ok.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

I had thought of running the furnace on low for the night, my problem with that is that the furnace is in route from Vancouver Wa. , I think it was just a casualty of old age, but the hot water heater was left un winterized and has a 3 inch crack in the bottom .strange thing is it took it 2 days of having water pressure on it before it broke loose and started spraying water out. So for a mere $2500 we will have a new system, + I just replaced the $80 water pump and fixed 3 other leaks . that the coach had when we got it here. one month old for us and still working full time on it. LOL
OH , we are in central Texas so moving south has limited results for us
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I for one, came down to Florida for the winter. Watching the weather at home in Indiana, we decided to stay here until it stays above freezing at night before heading home. I just don't want to winterize this time of year.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Stay south more SNOW today
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #8

We de-winterized a month ago and headed south to get some sun. Last week I need to return to Southern Ohio (doctors appointments) and had to winterize again because spring has not arrived and we are in the middle of another snow storm We have a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks and I hope this will be the last time this year that we need to winterize
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Re winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
We de-winterized a month ago and headed south to get some sun. Last week I need to return to Southern Ohio (doctors appointments) and had to winterize again because spring has not arrived and we are in the middle of another snow storm We have a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks and I hope this will be the last time this year that we need to winterize

Jack just turn on the LP system to 50F and place a 75Watt trouble light in the water bay, close it up and forget it as long as you can hook up to 120 feed. That is what we did and still doing in our driveway but glad to say we are moving back into the house on Saturday when the movers arrive to reinstall the furniture. Our water pump, tank and water lines seem to be fine with the 75 watt bulb glowing in the bay.
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79Eng View Post

Jack just turn on the LP system to 50F and place a 75Watt trouble light in the water bay, close it up and forget it as long as you can hook up to 120 feed. That is what we did and still doing in our driveway but glad to say we are moving back into the house on Saturday when the movers arrive to reinstall the furniture. Our water pump, tank and water lines seem to be fine with the 75 watt bulb glowing in the bay.
Thanks for the recommendation but our MH is located in a storage lot with no acces to 110 power.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Pink antifreeze is much, much cheaper than fixing splintered water lines and the other accessories that can pinch your wallet. We dewinterized our camper and went south for 4 days. When we got back home it was cold, so I winterized it up again. It's fast....the MH is another thing. That's why we didn't take it. But if we would have....I would have winterized it up again and not chanced it.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Pink antifreeze is much, much cheaper than fixing splintered water lines and the other accessories that can pinch your wallet. We dewinterized our camper and went south for 4 days. When we got back home it was cold, so I winterized it up again. It's fast....the MH is another thing. That's why we didn't take it. But if we would have....I would have winterized it up again and not chanced it.

Winterizing is not the problem...last year this time we were playing golf, camping, etc. It has been snowing here for the last two days and I am ready for spring or "Global Warming" to kick in