Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
If you use the air method you stand a good chance of freeze damage. You must not only remove the water but also dry everything out otherwise water droplets will drip down to an elbow or some area that you didn't quite get enough air at. The ones who recommend it most likely know what they are doing or have been very lucky.
I agree here... Besides, why spend a couple hundred to buy a compressor and fittings, when you can either just pour the pink stuff in your freshwater tank for free or buy an adaptor for the freshwater pump for under $20. If you pour the stuff in your tank you're talking maybe 5 gals. If you pump it from the bottle maybe 2 gals. plus the drains...

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Drain all the water. Then, if you have power...very reliable power...buy a half dozen trouble lights and place them in the areas that may freeze. Been doing that for years.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
My guess is that in the NE it will get well below 32 degrees between now and January. For peace of mind and the elimination of a potentially very expensive adventure, put in a few gals of the pink stuff....and have a great trip South...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you have blown the lines...why the anti-freeze. While in NE Oklahoma, I used the blow down method and no problems.

Ken
As others have stated, because just blowing won't get water out of a pump (main & washer) & it won't get it out of the line that the icemaker fridge solenoid controls.

One doesn't have to pump the pink stuff through the entire RV lines, but it's gotta be in those items (or trip the solenoid to purge that line) to rest assured the water in them is out & they won't freeze.

With a rebate, a gallon of pink AF is less than $2 here right now. $10 worth of AF is cheap insurance against a costly repair that might appear come spring. IMO, of course.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

We have just finished building a summer cottage in Maine and asked the local plumber, who has lots of experience maintaining houses for "summer people"like ourselves, how he recommended to winterize our place. He said that the sure fire method is filling the lines with RV antifreeze as blowing out with air can leave water in low spots in the plumbing. Air can blow over the top of water in the pipes.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I struggled with your situation for several years before heading south for the winter, even in late November. I just bit the bullet. I did try compressed air once, but it took me a lot longer and wasn't worth the hassle. I did eventually find the perfect resolution. We now head out before it's needed This year we left Mich for AZ October 16th
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #21

Although it has been stated and restated many times, my .02, use the pink stuff. I was out yesterday doing mine, it took less than an hour, I used 2 gallons and have complete peace of mind. I do plan on taking it out next weekend, and the weekend after that, I really hate to do it 2 more times in a row but what can you do. The weather is forecasted (lows) to be in the low 20's this week in central Oklahoma. I live on a hill, between the hill and the curb on my driveway I back up in such a way that all the stuff runs to my pick up (forward left side of the fresh water tank) for the pump, drain everything, by pass the water heater, pour in 2 gallons of the pink stuff, run the pump and water taps untill there is pink stuff coming out of everything and call it good. Like I said, I'd like to risk it but ............. stupid hurts, and it's expensive.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you leave a little water in lines that are not closed, the freezing water will not hurt anything. It becomes a puddle of frozen water. Where you have problems is areas that are trapped and blocked. As water turns to ice, it expands in volume and when volume limited in an area, something has to give.

It is easy enough to open the water pump suction and drain it as well as the ice maker.

As for the compressor, you do not need a $200 air compressor. A little 12 VDC portable will work for pressurizing the water lines. More like $30 and it is a one time expenditure.

I will continue to drain and blow the lines as I do not like buying something that has a limited one time life use.

Ken
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
adding antifreeze is so simple i would not want to drag out the compressor. I winterize our whole coach in 15 minutes. We also will use it a couple more times and re-winterize. We like to use ours as much as we can so 3 gallons or $7.50 is no big deal each time I want to use it. I never thought about re-using it. I think I will try to catch some of itwhen I drain it out to use it this weekend. Not sure if its worth the hassle though. We spend tens or hundreds of thousands on or rvs, dont sweat the couple bucks.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If you have blown the lines...why the anti-freeze. While in NE Oklahoma, I used the blow down method and no problems.

Ken
Because there is almost always enough water in the lines to freeze and cause a break. Doing both makes sure that even the water in the low points contains enough anti-freeze to prevent breaks.
BTW: That advice comes from the latest Motorhome magazine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If you leave a little water in lines that are not closed, the freezing water will not hurt anything. It becomes a puddle of frozen water. Where you have problems is areas that are trapped and blocked. As water turns to ice, it expands in volume and when volume limited in an area, something has to give.

As for the compressor, you do not need a $200 air compressor. A little 12 VDC portable will work for pressurizing the water lines. More like $30 and it is a one time expenditure.
You need to not only pressurize the line and blow out the free water you need to run the compressor long enough to blow out what is left clinging to the inside of the lines. That takes many minutes to do correctly. Just doing it for a short time can just blow the air through standing water. That's where the problems arise.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Learn to drain the water lines and then use a compressor to blow down the low points. Then all you need to use the pink antifreeze on are the traps at the sinks and shower/tub.

Ken
This is what we'll be doing. We live in So. Oregon though where our average winter temps are low 40's. We might have a week or two where we get down in the freezing range and if we then my husband said he'll just set an infrared heater in the TT to keep it a bit warmer inside. If we go below freezing, it's usually short term. Last winter was an exception though when we had snow/freezing temps for about 2 wks.

another thought or notion I had was questioning the safety of having anti-freeze sit in plastic water lines. I know you are completely flushing it all out come springtime but does it leave any funky aftertaste/smell in the drinking water when it gets used again in the spring?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It doesn't leave any residue when you rinse it out in the spring. We put some in the toilet bowl to keep the seal moist, and the pink rinses right gone away, no problem. You should make sure you use the RV antifreeze.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I chose not to winterize (stupidly), so I put a shop light in the water/sewer compartment, a space heater in the coach and opened doors inside. Last night it went to teens, so I turned on the furnace and set it at 52 degrees. Hopefully that will work. The night temps here in middle Indiana will get back up to normal. We plan to head south mid December. Thoughts?

MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter