Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Winterizing just to un-winterize..???

Hey all,

We are in the Northeast and the temps are starting to dip down. So far we have been able to take the big baby out almost every weekend and the pipes have not frozen because of our use....(little bit of history...we never used the baby this much but this year we did...every weekend and then some....) We plan on taking Baby to places South in January for a few months. I hate to put the pink fluid in her and then dump it and replace it if I can avoid it. Any suggestions??? Other than a heated garage.....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a lot of freezing cold weather heading your way between now and January. The pink stuff is $3 gallon and may take 5 gallons at most to do your coach. Spend the $15 for the security between now and then. That's about the cost of a pizza. If you want, when you dump it, put a bucket under your drains and reuse it in the traps next year...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Learn to drain the water lines and then use a compressor to blow down the low points. Then all you need to use the pink antifreeze on are the traps at the sinks and shower/tub.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Options:
1)blow out lines with air. (good)
2)the pink stuff. (better)
3) head south now. (best)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Learn to drain the water lines and then use a compressor to blow down the low points. Then all you need to use the pink antifreeze on are the traps at the sinks and shower/tub.

Ken
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why would you take a chance? Believe me, the effort needed to replace and repair is WAY more than the effort to winterize. Many years ago I was late in getting to the pink, and in the spring when we wanted to GO, I had to deal with outside shower fitting split, and getting a new shower hose for the inside. Didn't know it was bad until we tried to de-winterize and the pump had trouble getting going due to the leaks.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok guys....

How can I familiarize myself with an air compresser? I would like to do this myself and I think that y'all are right. This is the best thing for us...Blow out the lines and then a little pink stuff in the traps.

Any suggestions on how to start would be greatly appreciated.... Do I go to Home Depot and get a compressor and then what???

I taught myself how to get the pink stuff in the RV now I need help with this ..... Hubby is laid up and I need to figure this out myself...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't forget your ice maker and washing machine if you have one!

I didn't winterize yet because I will be heading out to Indiana for service next week i did blow out all the lines including the Ice Maker. When I get back I'll be running anti freeze through it even though I'm heading to the gulf at the end of December for a week.

Getting to a split line on one of these could be a pretty tough job so why not just bite the bullet and fill it with AF. You'll also sleep better knowing that you have nothing to worry about!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Walmart sells an adapter to go on your city waterline that has a little nipple on it for the air line to blow into the line. You don't need a lot of air pressure, they make all kinds of small air compressors that will push enough air to empty the water out the low points. There is probably even a thread on here about it. I had to do this for years as my husband was always working long hours. Now I am teaching him how to do all this stuff.
Best Luck!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
HD is one place to get a small air compressor. From the RV supply places (even Walmart) you can get an adapter to fir the water inlet connection with a Schrader valve (bicycle valve).
Metal Blow Out Plug

Set the pressure regulator at 40 to 45 psig and air up the system after you have drained it. Then open each faucet, one at a time and let it blow briefly unit it is clear. The blow the toilet valve clear. Next is the out side shower. You should have already drained the water heater. And last, blow the low point drains. Don't forget the washer or the ice maker if you have them.

I always let the RV set a few minutes and then would blow all of the valves and drains one last time. Now pour about 4 or 4 cups of RV antifreeze into each drain trap and about a cup op top of the toilet bowl seal.

Now when you want to use the unit, you simply hook up the hose and clear the lines of air. You don't have to mess with clearing out the pink stuff.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Ok guys....

How can I familiarize myself with an air compresser? I would like to do this myself and I think that y'all are right. This is the best thing for us...Blow out the lines and then a little pink stuff in the traps.

Any suggestions on how to start would be greatly appreciated.... Do I go to Home Depot and get a compressor and then what???

I taught myself how to get the pink stuff in the RV now I need help with this ..... Hubby is laid up and I need to figure this out myself...

Faith
Actually the best way is to blow out the lines THEN add the antifreeze to all the lines. See the latest Motorhome Magazine for the article.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have blown the lines...why the anti-freeze. While in NE Oklahoma, I used the blow down method and no problems.

Ken
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
We go to Vermont and Maine in Sept & Oct when we get back from New England in Oct the coach gets winterized with pink fluid in late Dec 3 days before we head to Florida the pink goes out and fresh water goes in. The LP gas goes on to heat the basement. I feel much more at ease with the antifreeze in the system even if only for 2 1/2 months.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you use the air method you stand a good chance of freeze damage. You must not only remove the water but also dry everything out otherwise water droplets will drip down to an elbow or some area that you didn't quite get enough air at. The ones who recommend it most likely know what they are doing or have been very lucky.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter