Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
Looks like it was October of 2018.
That's the way I see it too. The OP joined in 2017.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #100

We have owned a motorhome for 30 years and lived in Minnesota for 20 of them. I have never used antifreeze, not because of the price, but because I just don’t trust the fact they are non toxic. (Yes, it’s dumb, but it’s what I think.) Anyway I have always drained the lines, blew them out, and stored. One winter I got a brain fog and forgot to drain and blow out….in Minnesota! You know how much I sweat all winter long. The next spring, all was well. I couldn’t believe it! But I would never trust my luck on doing that again. Eight winters ago, I had an issue in the spring where my bathroom drain cracked because it froze and I didn’t find it until down the road the first night. Now I put antifreeze in all of the drains. I still drain and blow out as I have an air compressor. I wouldn’t worry about your method due to the one time I forgot to drain and blow. Getting most of the water out will allow what water is left to expand when it freezes and not do much damage. BTW, when I say drain I also drain the hot water tank.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
RFSndrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Joe View Post
First time winterizing a motor home for me. I drained the lines one day several weeks back by the way. The next day after purchasing a nifty little hose adapter to plug into my air compressor I blew out the lines. Note, I still got water out of them. I kept the air pressure up until all the water was out. Once this was done I sucked antifreeze (RV Type) thru the lines after turning the water heater tanks by pass valves so that I didn't need to put 10 gal of antifreeze into the water heater. Once I started sucking antifreeze thru the lines I opened up every faucet valve until I had a good clean stream of antifreeze thru it and then moved to the next one and so forth. When done I wiped any antifreeze off the shower floor and proceeded to dump antifreeze down the traps and into the toilet. I feel satisfied that the system will be protected at -20 below and the cost of two gallons of antifreeze was worth my not having to worry about the system freezing and damage. I also have a spare gallon that I have at the ready to pour down the traps again mid December or so.

So, no I don't believe in just blowing the lines. In my instance there was still water in the lines that I pushed out with antifreeze.
If you're going to use antifreeze you don't need to blow out the lines. The antifreeze will push out the water and whatever little bit doesn't come out will mix with the antifreeze.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #102

National RV Owners Club
Agreed. I do the same only using about 1-2 cups of antifreeze in each trap and toilet bowl. Aftet blowing out all the lines and removing the undersink filter, I open all faucets and drain valves and leave the water heater drain plug off. This leaves all lines and valves incapable of being pressurized by any residual water freezing. I live in central Indiana where it can get (and has in recent years) as low as -15 to -20°F. No problems so far.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #103

I have never blown out lines with compressed air as that does not guarantee you will remove all the water, I just flush out the lines with the anti freeze.

Mike
mdcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #104

We have owned a motorhome for 30 years and lived in Minnesota for 20 of them. I have never used antifreeze, not because of the price, but because I just don’t trust the fact they are non toxic. (Yes, it’s dumb, but it’s what I think.) Anyway I have always drained the lines, blew them out, and stored. One winter I got a brain fog and forgot to drain and blow out….in Minnesota! You know how much I sweat all winter long. The next spring, all was well. I couldn’t believe it! But I would never trust my luck on doing that again. Eight winters ago, I had an issue in the spring where my bathroom drain cracked because it froze and I didn’t find it until down the road the first night. Now I put antifreeze in all of the drains. I still drain and blow out as I have an air compressor. I wouldn’t worry about your method due to the one time I forgot to drain and blow. Getting most of the water out will allow what water is left to expand after freezing and not do much damage. BTW, when I say drain I also drain the hot water tank.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
RFSndrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #105

I have been using the air method on my boat with has more water system components then my A motorhome. Doing that for 20 years with no problems. The motorhome only needs 3 gal of $3 antifreeze and it's set up to winterize quickly. Takes just half hour to complete everything.
ARB357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #106

Winterizing MH

Help. I have a 2006 Coachman Mirada with the WaterWorks panel but it will not suck antifreeze in as its supposed to. I have drained all tanks and blown out the lines but would feel much better if I could see pink come out of my faucets. Any suggestions? Thank you
Dave Grieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
And don't forget the Black tank flush line!
Good point. Mine is sloped towards the black tank after the check valve, and sloped towards the outside hose fitting before the check valve. But freeze protecting probably still a good idea.

Which reminds me, some rigs have a valve they can use to add water to their tank when hooked up to city water. This line would also have to be blown/flushed/etc. to protect from freezing.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Remove filters, 40psi of regulated and Dried Air followed by pink to all spots including a short washer hot/cold fill. And then disconnect ice maker. More pink in any drains that didn't get pink from their spigots. And don't forget the Black tank flush line!
40psi might be a little too high. I've heard of people blowing out the diaphragm in the water pump. I have always used 20-25psi max to blow out mine. Been doing it for 46 years.

Bob B.
2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L
1994 Saturn SW2
Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #109

My previous RV was a Country Coach. I located all of the lines, saw they were all pitched just fine and never used pink stuff or blew out the lines. I opened every faucet then opened the designated low point drains, pushed the check valve in for a few seconds and drained the water pump and screen.

Pink stuff in the traps of course, but I never had an issue. No pink stuff meant no flushing as we headed south for the winter. When it got warm enough we could just fill the water tank. I wish I trusted my current coach but I don't and use a half-gallon of pink stuff to winterize.

Dave
Old 11-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #110

I bought a small submersible pump & put it in a clean bucket with 2 or 3 gallons of pink antifreeze. Hook inlet hose from RV to pump. Then turn on pump & start opening faucets 1 at a time. Pumps aren’t very expensive & I just never use that pump for anything else so it doesn’t get contaminated
moorwoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you're going to use antifreeze you don't need to blow out the lines. The antifreeze will push out the water and whatever little bit doesn't come out will mix with the antifreeze.

Well, sir I would sooner waste $5.00 worth of antifreeze than waste hours of my time repairing damage because I didn't get all the water out or the antifreeze got diluted when it mixed with the water in the lines. Yes, in theory the antifreeze should push all the water out but then again when it comes to betting or playing the lottery I always loose.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Do what you are comfortable, this is similar to the Gas vs Diesel.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter