RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

Winterizing poll?

Hello, I was curious how many leave their jack's down during storage and if I should leave my class A on jack's? It's getting cold now and I will be putting my cover on this weekend hopefully and rig up for the winter. I was curious if I should leave jack's up or down. Thanks for your input

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't leave it on jacks, but I usually will lower the right rear jack a little so the MH will tilt a little toward the drivers side. I could probably do the same thing by placing a short 2x6 block under the passenger side tires.

I do this soo any water will tend to flow away from the slide. It is retracted, but this way no water will collect on the slide seal.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

I back her into my spot, hit the auto level button lowering the jacks down, then let the air suspension lower onto the jacks. That way a lot of the load is removed from the tires . When it is time to take her out again, I wipe the chrome part of the jack legs down with silicone to remove any dirt/dust etc and away we go.

BTW, not all manufacturers recommend silicone. Some say to use WD-40 etc. Kind of need to know what your brand recommends.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
....I back her into my spot, hit the auto level button lowering the jacks down, then let the air suspension lower onto the jacks. That way a lot of the load is removed from the tires . When it is time to take her out again, I wipe the chrome part of the jack legs down with silicone to remove any dirt/dust etc and away we go....
I do exactly the same thing except when I hit "auto", the system dumps the air, and lowers the jacks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto - hit the Auto button, which dumps air and lowers jacks. My air suspension would leak down in a few weeks or months anyway.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Thank you for your input and time everyone . I don't have air bag's so I will be putting it up on the jack stand's. I leave it beside my driveway on crushed stone so I'll put it on blocks and then have a slight tilt so if any water or snow will drip away. I have another question I will be putting mothballs in compartment area's should I put them in cup's or bowl's or just sprinkle it all over.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Thank you for your input and time everyone . I don't have air bag's so I will be putting it up on the jack stand's. I leave it beside my driveway on crushed stone so I'll put it on blocks and then have a slight tilt so if any water or snow will drip away. I have another question I will be putting mothballs in compartment area's should I put them in cup's or bowl's or just sprinkle it all over.
What for????
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
I have another question I will be putting mothballs in compartment area's should I put them in cup's or bowl's or just sprinkle it all over.
We had a small mesh bag from potatoes or onions or even buy one in the Laundry dept. at WalMart. We put the moth balls in it and hung it in the storage bay. Having a motorhome we also put one in the engine compartment. Then we put a note on the steering wheel to remind us to remove the engine bag before starting up so the engine heat didn't make the bag catch on fire. It seemed to work. They do evaporate though so you may have to replace them. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What for????
Just in case I get some winter visitors decided to make camp. My wife figured it would ward off any UN-needed guests that might do damage..
Old 11-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #10

If you are already fairly level, there should be no reason to put your jacks down. You are exposing your jacks to the elements by leaving them down the all winter. Anyway, thatís just my opinion.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

Moth Balls

Be sure to put boards under jack feet. You can leave the boards behind if they freeze to the ground. Not so if the jack feet freeze in place.

I live in Wisconsin. You may not have this problem.

Rodents sometimes develop a taste for electrical wire insulation. It can get very expensive to rewire.

We put a whole box of moth balls still in the box in our tractor engine compartment and remove before starting. Boxes of moth balls are cheap and last a couple of years. Just remove the sealed outer wrapping to release the vapor.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
If you are already fairly level, there should be no reason to put your jacks down. You are exposing your jacks to the elements by leaving them down the all winter. Anyway, thatís just my opinion.
I agree with Fred.

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter