Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Wire Height over my Driveway

I live in a rural setting. the wiring (telephone/cable) are only 12 foot 6 inches above my driveway...my 5th wheel is around 13 ft 2 inches. Talking with the wire owner (Frontier customer sevice) has not resolved the issue. Want to keep my 5'er at home... What do I do?

5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
13'-6" is the nation wide standard height(Minimum) wires and cables should be wy above that measurement.............if their cable is below that, at the entrance to your property, I would call them and "Tell" them one more time, that you have a delivery coming, and the truck is at max height and it is going to tear their wire down when he comes...........A call to the town hall/city where you pay your taxs might also speed them to raise their wire, if not, take it down..........if it is low, and is restricting me from using my property that I pay taxs on...........sorry, but your low wire has a problem!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

ditto
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Let them know that NESC rule 232 (National Electric Safety Code) not to be confused with the NEC requires communications cables to be 15.5 ft. above "roads, streets, DRIVEWAYS, parking lots and other land traversed by vehicles, such as cultivated, grazing, forest or orchard land.

They know this I'm sure. Frontier just doesn't want to spend the money. Just let them know you know it also so when your fiver is damaged they will receive the bill.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #5

Is it wiring after the transformer to your property? Or just main lines.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Frontier would be his phone company not the power company.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Let them know that NESC rule 232 (National Electric Safety Code) not to be confused with the NEC requires communications cables to be 15.5 ft. above "roads, streets, DRIVEWAYS, parking lots and other land traversed by vehicles, such as cultivated, grazing, forest or orchard land.

They know this I'm sure. Frontier just doesn't want to spend the money. Just let them know you know it also so when your fiver is damaged they will receive the bill.
Hopefully I'm helping you a bit. Here is the rule, bullet #12.
If Frontier is balking, a phone call to the state regulatory commission might help.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Geez Frontier, someone tore down my cable line, can you come out and fix it. It worked for me once.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Question, is this phone wire going from pole to pole or is it the service to your house? If it is from pole to pole, the telco should correct the low clearance. But if it is the service drop going from the pole to your house and the attachment height at the pole meets NESC code but the attachment point at your house is lower, it MAY be your responsibility to correct it.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
I live in a rural setting. the wiring (telephone/cable) are only 12 foot 6 inches above my driveway...my 5th wheel is around 13 ft 2 inches. Talking with the wire owner (Frontier customer sevice) has not resolved the issue. Want to keep my 5'er at home... What do I do?
NESC 15'6" minimum are required.

Check your PMs in about 5 minutes or so....
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
I believe the 'rule' is for power lines. The problem is that anything else put on poles has to be a set distance (4'?) below what ever is above. I ran into a similar problem with Verizon, when they added their fiber optic cable below Comcast's coax, Verizon's telephone and our power companies lines. Ended up with about the same 12' 6" clearance although our Montana (13' 5" at the time) was sitting in our driveway in clear view. After four phone calls and confronting a Fios installer someone finally showed up. He stupidly asked me to just use a pole to push the cable up if I wanted in or out. I responded that I'd be happy to use my branch lopper and cut the thing instead. They raised their cable.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
Question, is this phone wire going from pole to pole or is it the service to your house? If it is from pole to pole, the telco should correct the low clearance. But if it is the service drop going from the pole to your house and the attachment height at the pole meets NESC code but the attachment point at your house is lower, it MAY be your responsibility to correct it.
It is the main line going down the street, not to my house.
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
First...thanks for all that replied, lots of good info! and I'm glad to finally have the rules to use in my conversation with Frontier.

Just got off the phone with Frontier on this issue for the fourth time. used the NESC rule 232 stating the 15.5 foot min. requirement. Also, tossed out the "your restricting use of my property" line. Did want to through out the...if you don't fix it...my wife driving the RV will take it down! but didn't...

Will see what happens!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
IC2

Something to consider as well - temperature. Those wires will sag quite a bit. On a very hot day a cable TV wire would clear my 5er on a normal summer 80s day but when it hit the mid 90s, the wire would be another few inches lower

The low hanging wires in our neighborhood tore the TV antenna and 2 of the three Aero vent covers off our now gone 13'6" tall Titanium. National Grid finally fixed the wires after a tall delivery truck took them down as my plea went nowhere fast. A second instance, the cable company had to restring in front of my house after another cover bit the dust. Those offending wires were all pole to pole and for sure didn't follow any guideline requirements.