Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #15

My AT&T has all 50 states and Canada no extra charge for roaming. Maybe I'll see if I can drop it since I never use it. I thought it automatically came in the plan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to look into having Skype on your cell and your computer. Free app to download and free to use.
You may also want to look into Kakao for the phone. Free texting, picture and conversation app.

We've used both when our youngest was off traveling while in the military. Free calls and texts to him while he was in Iraq and Korea plus other places around the world.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I can get an add on but you just made me think that I have the magic Jack at home and I did not think about taking it with me. I did not know it would work on the road because i am not on the road yet, still rebuilding my RV. That will be great if it works anywhere. I even paid for it on the five year plan. Thanks for that one.

I am a 1 day old Magic Jack user. I downloaded the Android App for the Magic Jack on my Samsung S III. I have only used it locally at the present but if it works while traveling the U.S. it will be worth it. When I'm out and about and my home phone rings, it also rings on my cell phone. Whoever picks up first will be the "user." Until Magic Jack gets their call forwarding fixed, this $10 a year app is worth the price.

I don't know how it would be applied if you were traveling through Canada. A chat with a support person on the Magic Jack web site may give you some information.

I'm also looking for any tips and tricks for the MJ.

Good timing on the thread.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
I don't know how it would be applied if you were traveling through Canada.
You are still going to be using your phone and not on "your network"....ie. roaming....so this is not a solution for out of country.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #19

If you have OnStar you can get buy min. to use in your vehicle (Verizon) and you can use it anywhere there is a signal.
Milt
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt
If you have OnStar you can get buy min. to use in your vehicle (Verizon) and you can use it anywhere there is a signal. Milt
Milt...sorry but the Verizon network is not licensed in Canada....won't work/no signal ....or if it does you are back to "roaming" on a Cdn network at outrageous expense!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I am a 1 day old Magic Jack user. I downloaded the Android App for the Magic Jack on my Samsung S III. I have only used it locally at the present but if it works while traveling the U.S. it will be worth it. When I'm out and about and my home phone rings, it also rings on my cell phone. Whoever picks up first will be the "user." Until Magic Jack gets their call forwarding fixed, this $10 a year app is worth the price.

I don't know how it would be applied if you were traveling through Canada. A chat with a support person on the Magic Jack web site may give you some information.

I'm also looking for any tips and tricks for the MJ.

Good timing on the thread.
I gather with this app. you need to either be on wifi or have unlimited data. I just downloaded a free magic jack for my samsung phone but have not tried it yet. I have an account already with magic jack. I am going to research a bit first as I do not want any surprises on my bill. My already have free long distance in Canada but would love to have it work on my cell phone.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson
I gather with this app. you need to either be on wifi or have unlimited data. I just downloaded a free magic jack for my samsung phone but have not tried it yet. I have an account already with magic jack. I am going to research a bit first as I do not want any surprises on my bill. My already have free long distance in Canada but would love to have it work on my cell phone.
I use the "free" Magic Jack app on my iPhone (Koodo network) and use it whenever I need to make a long distance call to the USA ....works great.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #23

Jack1234
The Onstar (GM) system has a phone that's built in the system, they use Verizon signal and it works in Can. I used it this past summer. No extra charge. The big problem is there are large areas with no signal. My Consumers Cellular was $.80 a min.
Milt
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt
Jack1234 The Onstar (GM) system has a phone that's built in the system, they use Verizon signal and it works in Can. I used it this past summer. No extra charge. The big problem is there are large areas with no signal. My Consumers Cellular was $.80 a min. Milt
Milt...understand...my iPhone also has a phone built into the system and in my case it uses a Koodo signal (network) and if I use it in the USA there is no charge.... but there is a roaming charge to use one of the compatible GSM networks (AT&T or T-Mobile). Regardless, since Verizon is a CDMA network and Canada is all GSM networked country....I'm would be fascinated to learn how GM/Verizon are getting incompatible network systems to share.

Regardless, I am not a cellular guru and having absolutely no experience with GM/On-Star I will defer to you.....my only direct experience is having lived in Mexico, USA & Canada and needed a way to use my cell phone in all three countries (at a reasonable $$)....., I learned the basics of network systems & compatibility...enough at least to be able to use my iPhone anywhere in N. America. The only solution I have found is to have an un-locked phone and purchase "monthly" plans which provide (talk/text/data) and keep switching SIM cards depending on the country.

Anyway, your Cadillac/Verizon solution sounds pretty good....but fitting a Cadillac in my wallet won't work for me! ( just kidding)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
WiFi or 4G. If you register it along with your Magic Jack number it will be $10 a year.

There is a lot of information out there and I have not looked at much of it. Here is one report
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

WiFi or 4G. If you register it along with your Magic Jack number it will be $10 a year.

There is a lot of information out there and I have not looked at much of it. Here is one report
I have looked over the sites and have not found where this 10 dollars comes into play? I have an existing MJ account and that now shows up on both my android phone and my IPad. I know that when I am on wifi, I can call anywhere in North America for free including Hawaii. Maybe the 10 bucks is if you don 't have an account?

sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada