Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Wireless in Canada

I have AT&T wireless data and voice in the US but is it the best phone to use in Canada while traveling to Alaska and back? I see where I can buy a phone by the minute but want to get advice from those who have made the trip.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Not sure about AT and T but Verizon charges about 65¢ per minute for voice and data when used between Canada and US. We looked at getting a pay by the minute phone in Canada but all the plans we saw also charged 65¢ per mimute to call the US. We used campground/restaurant wifi to keep in touch with the family while in Canada. Had an emergency in Whitehorse and had to use our cell phone and the bill that month was in excess of $300. Hope you can find something that works for you.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

We just did a 10 week Alaska/Canada trip this past summer. We hadn't gone very far in Canada when Verizon texted us saying we already used $50 in service and we had hardly used it ! So we didn't use Internet very much and kept phone calls to a bare minimum. It worked out ok but you get to miss using your smartphone for everything.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I have AT&T wireless data and voice in the US but is it the best phone to use in Canada while traveling to Alaska and back? I see where I can buy a phone by the minute but want to get advice from those who have made the trip.
Haven't made the trip but you can go here to see what others have said, and you can also type Cell phones into the search on the forum and all sorts of information will be available from different folks who have 'been there and done that"

Here is one ... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/cell-...to_threadtools

any 7-11 should have a disposable phone you can use while in Canada, I believe it is cheaper than the 'service' offers...
good luck, enjoy the trip, it is VERY beautiful ...
Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Wireless in Canada

Track down a KOODO Kiosk. Cheapest way to have no contract smart phone in Canada. EH! LOL
BUD4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you unable to get a Canadian add-on with your US carrier that will take care of so many nation wide minutes a month, texting, and roaming charges. When I go south, I get this add-on with Koodo for approx $30 for a month. I also have a magic jack for phone use on my computer when attached to wifi in the parks.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When Thom would go to Canada to do some "supervising" (no working allowed .....) we would have Canada added to the Verizon phone. A few bucks more for how ever long he needed to have it. His work paid any extra charges since it was for work he was doing it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Are you unable to get a Canadian add-on with your US carrier that will take care of so many nation wide minutes a month, texting, and roaming charges. When I go south, I get this add-on with Koodo for approx $30 for a month. I also have a magic jack for phone use on my computer when attached to wifi in the parks.
I can get an add on but you just made me think that I have the magic Jack at home and I did not think about taking it with me. I did not know it would work on the road because i am not on the road yet, still rebuilding my RV. That will be great if it works anywhere. I even paid for it on the five year plan. Thanks for that one.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post

I can get an add on but you just made me think that I have the magic Jack at home and I did not think about taking it with me. I did not know it would work on the road because i am not on the road yet, still rebuilding my RV. That will be great if it works anywhere. I even paid for it on the five year plan. Thanks for that one.
Magic jack works on wifi but if the signal is not good, it can break up a bit. I always figure that I have the five year plan and I am going to use it. I took it to Hawaii on holidays and called home all the time. Worked really well hooked up to Internet wire.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Anybody use the google free phone available on gmail? We use it to phone home from time to time....Its hit and miss with the quality but its FREE.....And it can be used to phone anywhere in the States and Canada......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Anybody use the google free phone available on gmail? We use it to phone home from time to time....Its hit and miss with the quality but its FREE.....And it can be used to phone anywhere in the States and Canada......
Never heard of this, how do you do this? I am not familiar with g mail, have heard of it but don't use it, would you please elaborate...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post

Never heard of this, how do you do this? I am not familiar with g mail, have heard of it but don't use it, would you please elaborate...
I have not used it but my sister did. Just google gmail and google phone?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

I have not used it but my sister did. Just google gmail and google phone?
http://www.google.com/chat/voice/
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #14

We were there this year and paid Verizon for the Canadian Data Plan. I was going to add it to our cell voice use, but every call I made to check into it resulted in a different answer as to what it would cover. I decided to pay their per minute charge if it was necessary to use it (it went up to $.89/min before we left). Not as big problem as in BC we could only get a signal in a big city like Prince George. No service at all in the Yukon.

Glad we never had an emergency. In talking to many camp ground hosts and fellow travelers, we planned to buy a Canadian pre-paid minutes phone if needed. Fortunately it wasn't. As mentioned, Wifi wasn't hard to find in most populated areas. It was our favored way to communicate with home.

I turned off all cell and data service to the smart phone to avoid "accidental" use and to save my battery. I noticed it was constantly searching for service and getting warm.

Verizon service worked fine in Alaska (in populated areas).

Great trip. Enjoy it!
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada