Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Wireless or "invisible fence" options

We have two dogs, one of which is handicapped and in a wheelchair. We also have a fencing setup using Iris Playpen panels (from Amazon) that with a total of 64 panels we can make a large or small enclosure as needed. We frequently receive comments from other campers on how nice and attractive this fencing is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

The problem is that we frequent a membership campground (#cheap) that has a somewhat unreasonable management staff... so I am looking for alternatives. (I know... change campgrounds... not our preferred option)

I would like input on experiences and recommendations for a wireless pet containment system or an invisible "lay the wire on the ground" system.

Thanks for your help.
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

I use a underground type fence system at my house. The fence really isn't to contain the dog as much as it gives them a warning of the learned boundary. You train your dog to recognize the acceptable play/roaming area and the fence just warns them they're too close to the edge. A shock only scares them back. If they ever realize they can just run through the fence you have to start over. Since you have to use flags and let them learn the area I don't know how well it would work when you change sites since the scenery would change and they would lose their point of reference.
They do make a fence that broadcasts a signal in a circular area from the center point but, once again, I'm not sure how it would work with different sites.
The wired type can be placed on the ground and still work.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

IF the CG Staff are giving you grief over the playpens....do NOT expect better response with 'invisible fence.

Standard pet rules at CGs is: ALL Pets MUST be on Leash (under direct control) when outside. Can not be left unattended.

Leash is for Pet, you and others safety.

Would imagine the CG Staff applies that same rule to all campers
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IF the CG Staff are giving you grief over the playpens....do NOT expect better response with 'invisible fence.

Standard pet rules at CGs is: ALL Pets MUST be on Leash (under direct control) when outside. Can not be left unattended.

Leash is for Pet, you and others safety.

Would imagine the CG Staff applies that same rule to all campers
Our pets are always attended when outside, but it is nice to not have to be constantly untangling leashes or cables. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseh View Post
Our pets are always attended when outside, but it is nice to not have to be constantly untangling leashes or cables. Thanks for your opinion.

Not my opinion really

But is PET Rule at most CGs

Might want to check and see how they respond to 'invisible fence' idea

We traveled FT for 7 hrs with a dog and Leash Rule was standard PLUS Many States have Leash Laws when in public

Just saying..........
Old 01-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

I would also like to try a wire when camping .our dog is pretty hi strung, but I have a wire around 1 1/2 acers of your house and it works perfect. it took her about 3 days and she knew exactly were she could go and couldn't go. I put up flags at first in most of the area but nothing in some parts. they get to know the warning signal real fast, dogs are really very smart. now she is very comfortable and has the run of 1 1/2 acers.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

So if you use an invisible (wire) fence how does that keep out other dogs, squirrels, rabbits and kids? And how does someone walking by know your dogs are marginally restrained by an invisible fence that may or may not keep them away? Not everybody likes or trusts other people's dogs.

I don't think you'll find many CGs that will approve of that. I doubt many approve of a large 64 panel fence either. CGs are usually pretty tight and neighbors are close. The rules are in place to protect folks from other folk's pets and to help people feel comfortable around your animals.

Additionally, as Old Biscuit says, most states have leash laws that may put the CG owner at risk if not enforced.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

I feel as though my question is being treated as offensive. I was merely hoping to get equipment advice, not life advice. Please forgive the intrusion.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseh View Post
I feel as though my question is being treated as offensive. I was merely hoping to get equipment advice, not life advice. Please forgive the intrusion.
No reason to get panties in a wad simply because different points of view and actual experience does not agree with your idea of pet control when out in public or doesn't conform to CG Pet Rules.

Might be the reason hinted at in your statement:
The problem is that we frequent a membership campground (#cheap) that has a somewhat unreasonable management staff...

Explain 'unreasonable'
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #10

My experience with an invisible fence was that it worked fine until a squirrel happened to stray nearby. Then it was if the fence didn’t exist. Keep in mind the dog will get zapped when they try to return.
I’ve seen good looking dog fences in RV parks and some that were pretty ugly. Even if the OP”s fence is of the good looking variety (link didn’t work), the park owners might not want to be put in a position of having to decide if one fence is okay while another one isn’t. The easy solution for them is “No fences”. Pure speculation on my part.
Good luck to the OP on finding a solution.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #11

The underground fence at our sticks & bricks house works very well once our dog was trained. Squirrels and other critters that come inside the boundary, do so at their own risk. The one thing I would consider is there is a warning zone about two feet before the wire and it will cut down the area your dog will have. If your area is 10 feet across, you will only actually have 6 feet for the dog before he/she gets warned. Also if you lay the wire close to your RV it will extend through the wall into the RV.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
My experience with an invisible fence was that it worked fine until a squirrel happened to stray nearby. Then it was if the fence didn’t exist. Keep in mind the dog will get zapped when they try to return.
I’ve seen good looking dog fences in RV parks and some that were pretty ugly. Even if the OP”s fence is of the good looking variety (link didn’t work), the park owners might not want to be put in a position of having to decide if one fence is okay while another one isn’t. The easy solution for them is “No fences”. Pure speculation on my part.
Good luck to the OP on finding a solution.
Thanks. My math was silly on the panels. 4 sets at 8 panels per set... 32 panels . But I'm not trying to use that many. The rules say 8'x8'... which is not unreasonable. The panels are just a bit over 2', so 4 panels per side puts us at about 8'6". Mgmt says unacceptable. 3 panels by 3 panels is just too small for 2 dogs... one in a wheelchair. I asked if I could do 3 panels x 5 panels... NOPE. I'm leaning toward an invisible fence where I can lay a wire on the ground, versus a wireless system that provides a radius from the transmitter. I think I need more control over the shape of the area. Leashes and cables get all tangled... been there done that. They are well behaved and would probably be fine without anything, since I'm always with them if they are outside, but I would like the added peace of mind, and I would like to post a sign, so other campers (... and mgmt) know they are contained. Your point about the squirrels is well taken. One of mine would be fine.. the other... I don't have 100% comfort level. My only real solution may in fact be another campground. We've have used our fence in many others with no problems.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #13

Is there any way to shorten one of the panels in the middle (or on the end) so that it meets their guidelines? I’m not sure what the fence looks like, but perhaps you could use a combination of dowels/zip ties/wire to reconnect the sections.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #14

here's what I have thought I was going to get some rubber hose or tubing in some color red, yellow, white, or if not paint it if needed. get enough to do what you want secured. run the wire through the tubing and connect to the transformer. just lay the tubing on top of the ground it won't take very long and the dogs will know exactly what the tubing is for. the transformer could be plugged into your outside receptacle. when done simply unhook from the transformer and roll the tubing up with the wire still inside and store it a way. example the tubing could start outside your entry door and loop around on top of the ground and back to the transformer.
its not 100% foolproof i'm wanting to do this for when we are boondocking to have a little better control over my dog. i'm going to investigate about running the transformer with 12v shouldn't be a problem, it may already?
Jay D.
P/S to the O/P there are some rude people here just waiting to pounce on someone if they deviate just a fraction from the norm. you asked a good logical question.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote